Trip to U.S.A.

Old 12-02-2013, 07:08 PM

How wonderful for you and your husband. If you should get to the east coast, let me know. My husband and I know some great motorcycle rides in our area , and would be glad to give you some suggestions.
Old 12-02-2013, 10:25 PM

I live way north of Route 66 but my son and daughter in law went to school in Flagstaff Arizona which is on the route. I think you should definitely take a side trip to the Grand Canyon and Sedona in Arizona. I live in the lovely Pacific Northwest so if you come that far north I will have a bed for you! I'll even take you to the beach! Have a great trip!
Old 12-02-2013, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by Janette View Post
Haven't lived in Amarillo, TX for a while but 66 used to go through the old part of Amarillo. Check out some of the clubs where the cowboys go. Sign will ask gentlemen to remove their hats and the furniture is bolted to the floor. 20 miles outside of Amarillo, on an interstate, is Canyon, TX. Check out Palo Duro Canyon, a few miles outside of Canyon. It is a miniature Grand Canyon and a state park and is a fantastic place to visit. You can camp there. In the summer it has a wonderful musical western show in a natural amphitheatre.
I'm a native Texan, and you are right, a beautiful park, and a most enjoyable musical event. If you are in Texas and don't want to just stay on RT 66, vear off and take a long trip to our beautiful Big Bend Nat. park in the far end of the state, especially beautiful in the spring and summer when the cactus are in bloom- also in the largest county (Brewster) largest county in the state- The county seat is Alpine where my daughter lives. Before Alaska joined the lower 48- We could say, Alpine is the largest town in the largest county in the largest State in the U.S. Sorry, just a little bit of Texas bragging rights here. lol Just be sure you have plenty of sun screen on and plenty of water with you, if you should go there. The view of the horizion when in Big Bend is beautiful. Not extremely close, but still in the mountains and in the next county - (Jeff Davis) we also have Fort Davis and McDonald's Observatory-DH and I just happened to be at McDonald's when we were dating -the moment of the moon landing and walk in 1969- McDonald's had something to do with that event. I can't remember just what right now - but we will always remember that historical moment. I'm not sure, but I think it is still on Tuesday night, Mc Donald's has star gazing parties in the summer - that is very interesting. A lot of bikers take the mountain road up through the mountains and to McDonald's. I live about 65 miles from there.
There are so many beautiful and interesting places to see in this beautiful world God has graciously given us all. I want to welcome you both and here's wishing you a beautiful and safe trip and hope you enjoy visiting our great country. I have always wanted to go to Australia myself, probably never will, but have a dream to do so some day.

Last edited by Gerbie; 12-02-2013 at 11:29 PM.
Old 12-03-2013, 02:31 PM

Albuquerque, New Mexico has some quilt shops.