Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Tropical Storm Irene Pictures - Hudson River >

Tropical Storm Irene Pictures - Hudson River

Tropical Storm Irene Pictures - Hudson River

Old 08-28-2011, 05:47 PM
Power Poster

oh my goodness...doesn't look like just a river!
DD is pretty, Joann...looks like her mom :thumbup:
Old 08-28-2011, 07:44 PM

Thanks sweet Mousie - she had her hair tucked in - it's about 4 times as long as what's showing! People say we look alike, but I've never seen it! DGD however looks exactly like her - I mean they could be twins. Genes really are something, aren't they!
Old 08-29-2011, 12:06 PM

Thanks for sharing the photos. Seeing the high water photos and listening to the rain totals that the East Coast has been receiving from Hurricane Irene reminded me how really strange the weather has been this year. We’re still in a Summer-long drought here in Oklahoma. Once in a while, we can see rain, and can even smell rain, but it either evaporates before it hits the ground, or goes around us on the horizon. We haven’t had a decent storm all year.

We’ve had 7-tens of an inch (spread out over 3 days in May & June, nothing in July or August) of rain here since May 21st (111 days), and have had over 90 days of 100+ temperatures. Our average temperatures for that time span have been 103 for the high and 78 for the low. Friends of ours that grow produce to share (similar to a Farmer’s Market activity) had to abandon their gardens the first of August because the water bill had been higher than the produce could bring in. Plus, they were having a tough time keeping plants producing. We’ve about given up on our little container garden. The plants aren’t taking the heat very well. They’re still alive, but not producing much.

Sure wish we had some of your rain!

CD in Oklahoma

Civic Center Lawns August 29,2011
[ATTACH=CONFIG]248628[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-248622.jpe  
Old 08-29-2011, 12:37 PM

What a shame that there's no way we could take the floods in various parts of our country and move the wter to OK, TX, AZ, NM & anywhere else that desperately needs the water. Most of this flood water ends up in the ocean - and while it isn't wasted there, it sure causes a lot of damage before it gets there.
Old 08-30-2011, 02:34 PM

Thanks for posting the pictures for us Joanne. Irene was really something indeed! Thank goodness y'all are OK.

We've had some thunderhead clouds around lately, but no rain at my house. I've heard about some rain around, but not much to speak of. Supposed to be cooling off some starting tomorrow.

Old 08-30-2011, 03:32 PM

This Irene hung out over us from beginning to end longer than any Cat 1 ever has. I'm so glad your family made it through unscathed.

There is more to come, I just heard on the news a little while ago. I'm running next time, out of town!
Old 08-30-2011, 03:51 PM

michigan was dry in may and early part of june. we had to water the garden to get it going, and keep it growing, then it started raining and hasn't stopped. we received 2-3 inc's several times within 24 hrs. and one time we got over ll" overnite. this is in southern lower michigan near I 94.