Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Trying to make myself go to the ASQ quilt convention >
  • Trying to make myself go to the ASQ quilt convention

• Trying to make myself go to the ASQ quilt convention

Old 02-24-2016, 01:04 PM

Don't feel bad... I live about 10 minutes from the Paducah Quilt museum and have lived here over 20 years... nope, never been to it and I have never been to the Quilt show.

I'm only off on weekend and I don't want to hassle with the crowds so I go to my local quilt show and we enjoy the company of the other visitors that come there to visit and spend. I love to help pick out fabrics for folks and when it's not my money it's even better.
    Old 02-24-2016, 01:45 PM

I go to quilt shows with a friend -- but once there we go our separate ways to spend time where we each want. We meet up later to visit. It wouldn't bother me to go alone -- I just visit with a lot of other people at each booth!
    Old 02-24-2016, 01:53 PM

Well I put away my cry rag and put on my grown-up panties and went to the show. I wandered at will and just drooled and ooooed over all the beautiful quilts. It is a great show. Didn't spend much time with the venders as I didn't have the $$$ to spend. Registered for the grand prize of an Alaskan quilting cruise in 2017 and to win a Janome machine. Fingers crossed. Show continues thru Saturday. I did see a friend that I play MahJongg with and two ladies from our small guild. Overall....glad I went. Thanks for the encouragement.
    Old 02-24-2016, 01:59 PM
    Power Poster

I never go to big quilt shows with anyone anymore. I don't like to compromise any of my time because someone's feet hurt, someone is hungry, someone wants to question why I am going back to look at something all the way across the show since I've seen it before. Why am I paying that much for a ruler, hearing everything is too expensive to buy. Nope I go alone.
    Old 02-24-2016, 05:21 PM

Glad you went and had fun. Last year my husband went with me to the sewing expo. We had the best time and he encourages me to buy things I probably would not if he wasn't there so it worked out great. He is already asking me if we are going again this year, which is great he is willing to go again. He oil paints and plays guitar so he has the artistic side but I would have never guessed we would have had so much fun.
    Old 02-24-2016, 05:31 PM

I go alone now, when sisters came they flew through the quilts and went to venders, I wanted to see quilts,, we went our. Own way so was alone. Anyway. I can go to handcocks of paducah any time and go to the museum at least four times a year,,, only 20 miles from. Home
    Old 02-25-2016, 03:39 AM

I love to go places by myself. I can go where I want, move at my own pace, leave when I want.
    Old 02-25-2016, 04:02 AM

I go to many events alone and find that I always enjoy myself. I'm on my own schedule with no one else to think about or keep track of -- it's all about me and what I want to look at or do. Of course, I also enjoy going with a friend and that's a whole different experience. They're both good to me!
    Old 02-25-2016, 04:06 AM

Alva, thanks for updating us. So glad you decided to go! (Obviously I posted above before reading the entire thread -- my bad.)

By the way, love your kitty pincushion!!
    Old 02-25-2016, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by AlvaStitcher
    Well I put away my cry rag and put on my grown-up panties and went to the show. I wandered at will and just drooled and ooooed over all the beautiful quilts. It is a great show. Didn't spend much time with the venders as I didn't have the $$$ to spend. Registered for the grand prize of an Alaskan quilting cruise in 2017 and to win a Janome machine. Fingers crossed. Show continues thru Saturday. I did see a friend that I play MahJongg with and two ladies from our small guild. Overall....glad I went. Thanks for the encouragement.
    I am so glad that you went Alva.

It can be hard the first time attending an event alone.

Here's hoping you name comes up in the prize draw.