Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Trying to make myself go to the ASQ quilt convention

I spent 3 days at the AQS show in Des Moines. I loved every minute of it. There is always someone to talk to. I could come and go as I pleased and I could take my time looking at things I wanted to look at. Go and enjoy the show! I envy you living so close by.

I actually prefer going to these things alone. I can look at anything I want as long as I want. I still remember taking a bus trip with women I didn't know and my seat mate attached herself to me. I did not get to see even 1/2 of what was at the show. I am good company for myself, I think you might be if you would try it.

Since your guild group is small, and it sounds like you are a bit of a newby there, it might be fun to go with them and get better acquainted. If you drive yourself, you could leave if you aren't having as much fun as you want to.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I agree with lynnie. The last 2 quilt shows and only quilt shows I went to, I went alone. If I were you I would contact your guild members and ask them if they are going. Maybe you could meet there or ride along. If you go alone and no one from your guild goes, you may be better off. You may meet a member of another group or guild who may spark your interest in joining up with them. If you really want to go then go.
    Quote Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
    I go to a lot of things by myself, I don't mind. I also would have asked a member to go with me. How else will you get to know someone, and what better way to get to know someone. I met Dotty (dotcomdtcm) on this board. she drove from NYcity to my house on the island, and we welcomed each other with open arms. Another good friend from the board, came to my house, and now we get together every Tuesday. If you don't put yourself out there. you won't meet people. Go, and talk to people and make a new friend. You can do it!!!

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    OOPs. I didn't read through all the posts. Glad you went and had a good time. I didn't spend a lot of money either and still enjoyed myself. Am finding I enjoy my own company quite often.

GagaSmith is attending this - and taking some Long Arm instruction classes! She is going alone......We attended the Syracuse AQS and had a really great time. It is one place, that even if you are alone, you are NOT alone. Go Go Go Go Go!!
    Deb Watkins - I woke up today on the right side of dirt. It is a good day.

I attended this event by myself. I enjoy being by myself so that I can wander around at my pace. I can stop for demos if I desire or move on. I put my ear buds in and listen to music while wandering around. Go and enjoy the show. You won't be sorry.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Do you go to the grocery store alone?
    Have you ever been to the quilt store alone?
    Then go, my friend, and chat with everybody who is stopped still more than a few seconds. Chat with anyone sitting down somewhere. Chat with the vendors.
    You'll be delighted how many quilters are friends you've just never met yet.

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

I am really glad you decided to go. Hopefully next time you won't think twice about going alone if you have no one to go with you.

Since my sister moved to WA I have gone to the Road to CA show alone, and the San Diego Quilt Show I usually do at least one day alone. (If the show is really good I like to go 2 days to see anything I may have overlooked the first time.) I have a few friends that like to go to the shows and I will go with them, but I do like to go alone too. (Really so I don't say something out loud that I could quickly regret, you never know who is standing next to you or behind the quilt.)

My cousin in San Antonio took her husband along to the San Antonio Quilt Show a few years back. He likes to draw longhorns. Well he had a field day when he got to the quilting machine! He was quilting one longhorn after another! I think it made her day that he had such a good time.

Glad to hear you enjoyed yourself. I prefer going alone to this type of show. I went with other people once, and it was just too much trouble coordinating interests and timing. There is a group of women in my sewing group that go to Pullyup (sp?), generally a bunch of them flying there and renting a 15 passenger van! I just can't imagine not having the flexibility of deciding when I want to eat lunch, when to go to the show and when to leave.

The last event I attended was in Texas, and took over 4 hours to get there. If I had something just five miles away, I would crawl on my hands and knees to see it.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2