Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Type 2 Diabetic in need of advice >

Type 2 Diabetic in need of advice

Type 2 Diabetic in need of advice

Old 04-06-2011, 10:10 AM

It is very hard, but you can do it! I stay away from anything that is made with white flour and eat mostly fruits and vegetables raw. I do cheat on Sundays and eat half of a zebra cake from little debbie LOL. You can't deprive yourself because that will tempt you more. I have had so much trouble from my diabetes (foot ulcers, eye disease, nerve damage, etc.). Please, please take care of yourself.
Old 04-06-2011, 12:17 PM
Power Poster

From a nursing standpoint I suggest you see if there are any classes at your local hospital.
They are very informative. Controlling Diabetes is crucial to your overall health and any future issues.
You sound like you realize it but for everyone here I cannot stress it enough.
Good luck!!!
Old 04-06-2011, 05:39 PM

I've been making hummus - in the food processer -- chick peas, a little olive oil and roasted red peppers, or olives - food channel has recipes. Eat it with whole wheat crackers and/or celery. I make it spicy and it really helps the cravings I have plus it has some protein from the beans. If you put garlic in it, put the cloves in the microwave for 15-20 seconds so they're cooked or they will mold since everything else is cooked.
Old 04-06-2011, 05:51 PM
Banned

I also suggest going to http:www.sparkpeople.com

THey have the easiest trackers to use online for tracking your food, and your exercises...they also have forums you can join and one is for diabetics!
THere is also millions of recipes, videos on exercise, and so much more...even a group called, "quilt to lose"....
Old 04-11-2011, 07:09 AM

Thank you, ladies. You all are wonderful.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:09 AM

I'm going to be a stick in the mud over here - I've found I CAN control my diabetes without meds, but only if I severely restrict my carbs (zero sugar, zero flour, no beans, no apples, all carbs from veggies, berries, dairy or nuts, under 20g carbs per day) and exercise like crazy. I did it for a few years.

And then I got tired of that. Now I take some metformin and that's just enough to take the edge off. I still have to be extremely strict with my diet, but it isn't as hard to stay in the lines this way. I can go up to probably 30g or 35g carbs per day without a noticeable difference. Better living through chemistry for me.

FYI, my liver dumps religiously in the morning and I've found by adding a tablespoon of nut butter right before bed and eating IMMEDIATELY after I wake up, I can keep that from happening. I cannot exercise on an empty stomach or I'll be very sick with high BG; sometimes it spikes during exercise no matter what I do.

Basically you have to use your meter to figure out what your body needs you to do, and then do that.

Good luck!