Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Type 2 Diabetic in need of advice >

Type 2 Diabetic in need of advice

Type 2 Diabetic in need of advice

Old 04-06-2011, 07:50 AM

Anyone else here trying to control their type 2 diabetes with diet and exercise instead of taking pills or insulin? I'm trying to be good (lol!) but it's been a challenge with so much snow in NY this winter, too much tempting food, and no other motivation. I knew I could count on you all to send me some good advice. Bless you all.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:53 AM

Controlling type 2 diabetes with diet and exercise can be done. You just have to look at the diet and exercise as medicine the doctor ordered you to take. If it's too cold to go out, put on some music and dance. Who cares if you look silly? Do it in small blocks of time if you can't handle too much at once.

It can be done. You just have to make yourself do it.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:00 AM

Be sure to eat something (healthy of course) every couple hours, you don't want your blood sugar to get too low. Protein is very important. I've just discovered that greek yogurt is 2x the protein of regular yogurt.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:40 AM

Good to know, thanks. Someone suggested giving up sugar, but that doesn't sound like enough.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:54 AM

I am a Type 2 diabetic but have not had to take medicine for awhile. I try to watch my weight, exercise, and also the number of carbs I eat and the type of carb has a lot to do with my blood sugar counts. I also each Greek yogurt instead of the regular fat free yogurt. Good luck.

mltquilt
Old 04-06-2011, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by Brett Quilts
Good to know, thanks. Someone suggested giving up sugar, but that doesn't sound like enough.
No, you don't have to give up sugar. Just try to have protein or fat - fiber, too - before you do or with it, to slow the digestion of it.

If you happen to be one of those diabetics whose blood sugar is high on waking up in the morning (this is from the liver pushing it into the bloodstream), then:
a. try to avoid nighttime eating, at least stop a few hours before bed.
b. exercise (it can be cleaning the house or something, but move around) before eating breakfast
c. when you do eat breakfast, put more of your daily fat allowance here, and eat some protein and complex carbs (fiber again, whole grains and veggies) into this meal.

I've been told that the many small meals is no longer recommended (unless you are subject to low blood sugar), because your system needs to rest between meals.

Stay within your recommended carb limit, and although some sugar is fine, try to get most carbs from vegetables and whole grains.

If your blood sugar goes up, drink a glass of water and then exercise enough to work up a sweat and keep doing it for at least 15 - 30 minutes. Drink another glass of water after the exercise and check your sugar level again.

Protein does help keep the blood sugar even - but this can hurt your kidneys. What happens is, your kidneys may start trying to move the proteins into your urine, which scars the kidney cells beyond repair. If too many of them are harmed, you end up with kidney disease.

If you feel the urge to snack and veggie stalks with bean dip won't do it, get up and move instead.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:59 AM
Banned

yes, and even with a lapband it is very HARD....you need to walk 5 miles(10,000 steps) a day religiously, eat no more than 1,200 calories with less than 20 grams of fat, and watch the carbs. Best to avoid all WHITE carbs completely!

and if you must eat something sweet, make sure it is REAL Sugar and not splenda, etc...easier for your body to use the real sugar than the fake one!
Old 04-06-2011, 09:01 AM
Power Poster

I bought a dvd at wal-Marts called Walking Down Diabeties. It is excellent. The instructors walks you througr a mile before you know it. You walk in place,do a few kicks, and sidesteps. Its easy and fun done to her music and the best part is we dont have to go out in this cold N.Y. weather.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:10 AM

I hope I can help you some. First don't worry about the cold try to go out when ever you can even for a little. It keeps away the board syndrome. The cold boost your motabalism and you are always suprised how long you have been gone. My hubby has type 2.He loves his apples in the afternoon.Apples = applesause = natural sugar in my cakes and quick breads. You have to enjoy what you want to eat and find other was to eat them. I got rid of all the prep food and mixes. Went back to the old way of cooking. Flour,egg,milk.{cook book grandma used} you would no beleive how fast and how low the sugar stays if you don't use what is in a box.Even if you put the dry together and fridge.Every Sunday special waffles and whip cream. :thumbup: :thumbup: :D
Old 04-06-2011, 09:21 AM

What everyone is saying about watching your carbs is very true. Our hospital has a dietician people can make appointments with to discuss special diet plans. She goes over what a proper diabetic diet is -- how much protien, carbs, etc. and also gives out info on how much is in certain foods. Do you have access to something like that?

There are many sample diet plans online to give you an idea of what you should be eating and 100's of recipes out there. A bit of Googling might point you in the right direction.

http://diabetes.webmd.com/guide/sample-meal-plan