Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Ugh - how dumb can I be?!  (finding old uncashed checks) >

Ugh - how dumb can I be?! (finding old uncashed checks)

Ugh - how dumb can I be?! (finding old uncashed checks)

Old 04-29-2011, 07:22 PM

What would you do - Last November I did a craft show and took in 3 checks. I had them tucked in the back of my money box and didn't find them again until last night. One was for $4, one for $8 and one for $28. The $28 person has ordered a couple of times so I "know" who she is, so I called and left a msg on her home phone today. Apologizing and asking if it would be a problem to cash it now. No return call yet. I can't bring myself to try to contact the others - the amts are too small, and I don't recognize them as regular customers. And I'm afraid if I try to cash them that I might get a returned check - don't I have to pay for that? Those amts are so small, maybe I should just forget it. But I could really use the $28... I'm afraid she won't call me back though.... It's just an uncomfortable situation now.

This has been a tight winter - how could I just forget $$?!
Old 04-29-2011, 07:23 PM
Power Poster

Tina, I believe checks are good for 6 months. Check with your bank.
Old 04-29-2011, 07:25 PM

Most banks won't cash a check over 6 months old. Hopefully the $28 lady will call you back, especially if she has ordered from you before or since then, and may want to again.
Old 04-29-2011, 07:25 PM

If the banks they are written on are close to where you live you can take them to those banks as long as you have an ID to show that you are the person they were written to. If there are no funds they just won't cash them, but there will be no charges.
Old 04-29-2011, 07:32 PM

Talk to the bank and see if they can be cashed and whether you will be charged if any are returned...
Old 04-29-2011, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by Murphy
If the banks they are written on are close to where you live you can take them to those banks as long as you have an ID to show that you are the person they were written to. If there are no funds they just won't cash them, but there will be no charges.
Of course they're all at 3 different banks. I almost wish I hadn't left a msg with the $28 customer... now if she doesn't get back to me I'd feel funny trying to cash it... If I were just more organized I wouldn't be dealing with this right now. :evil:
Old 04-29-2011, 07:37 PM

Maybe I'll just try calling my bank tomorrow then and see what they say. If they go by the 6 month rule, then I only have a couple more weeks.

thanks!
Old 04-29-2011, 07:47 PM
Power Poster

Most checks unless they have a separate date on them are good for 6 months - Like someone else suggested if they are close by go straight to their bank
Old 04-29-2011, 08:12 PM

Okay, if you are thinking about not cashing them anyway, I would try sending them back to the people with a nice letter explaining what happended and ask them to replace them with a currently dated check. Because this was your oversite , I would enclose a self addressed, stamped envelope so they would have no excuse for not sending you a new check except for the fact they are deadbeats. Hope you get your money, because they know they owe it. Good luck.
Old 04-29-2011, 08:17 PM

You call the bank that the check is written from. Tell them you are a Vendor wanting to Verify funds on a check. They take your Name/company name, then the info off the check. They look it up in less than a sec and tell if the check is good. Just be professional, and lead off with your business name.
They will ask how much the check is for and for what account number, name on the check. It is really simple and fast.
Then you know, take it to the bank right away.