Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Unexpected

Blog Entries

Unexpected

Keeping in mind that it's only been a week since I've used my iron... which always sits on the ironing board. I turned it on and was pressing for about 2 minutes when, to my great surprise, a spider dashed out of the water filler hole!!!
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T – is it True? H – is it Helpful? I – is it Inspiring? N – is it Necessary? K – is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

That's funny...guess it didn't like steam baths!
    Retired teacher, loving it.
    Love quilting also.

Must have gotten a bit hot in there for those eight little feet.
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)
    “If you can’t see a mistake from 12 feet away, it doesn’t exist, and there are no perfect quilts and that helps a lot,” .......Greg Biornstad

Power Poster
    ​Funny after you get over the near heart attack!

Yikes. I had ants invade one of my best irons. It has taken years to get all the little dead bodies out.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 03-15-2019 at 05:05 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Yikes!! I would have run out of the room screaming like a little girl!!!!
    I just want to spend the rest of my life laughing.

Wow, make me want to put masking tape over that little hole.

Yikes! I had one come out of the dashboard vent one time.......while I was driving.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I was sitting at TGIF with couple realtor friends. And a I was speaking with the one a spider was coming down on its web right next to her. I reached above as soon as she turned her head grabbed the string above it and lowered it to the floor. Then the manager saw it and paid for our drinks. The other gals looked at me like they were going to absolutely freak and they did. One gal actually got it on camera. She had seen it about the same time I did. The gal it almost landed on probably would have passed out. She has an uncanny fear of spiders. When she saw the photo which was texted to her, she nearly passed out as it was. She looked at me and said OMG that's your hand holding that spider. She changed places. It was funny, kind of. Just glad we got to it and it didn't get to her.

Blog Entries
    yep, they will do that. if my iron doesn't have a little door to shut, i stuff a piece of tissue in it!!!

In my youth (oh how I miss it), I was driving from NC to Cali. Stopped for the night in New Mexico. Hopped into the shower the next morning and was soaping away when something fell into the bottom of the tub. I thought it was the soap and bent down to retrieve it. Nope....big old tarantula spider. Jumped out of the tub onto the toilet seat. I quickly dressed and went to turn in the key. The manager must have been afraid I was going to have a heart attack because he didn't charge me for the room. I'm not afraid of spiders but that thing was huge and scary!

I'm surprised that has never happened to my iron. We heat with wood and have lots of spiders. They don't bother me unless they are on me. I did have one once come down on it's web while I was driving. I let out a loud scream because it was heading right for me. Apparently I scared it because I have no idea where it went.
    Singer 66 treadle, Singer 15-91, JC Penney 6923, Kenmore 50, White 2334, Brother 920D serger. RIP Singer 1036

Whoa! What a surprise! lol
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

Blog Entries
    Well, all I can say is OMG after reading these posts, and am glad I don't have a steam iron, will spray interior of car before getting in, scan the ceiling of the restaurants, and not take showers in NM!!, as I'm one of those that get freaked out by the dang things.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanne S View Post
    That would have been me ... and then I would have sent someone in to find the spider and to throw the iron away.
    Pat

I would still be screaming.
    Yooper32 aka: Donna B

Those little devils get into the weirdest places and then make their appearance at the most inappropriate times. I would have jumped and at my age that would have been amazing. Visiting my sister in Arizona one winter and was in the "reading room" and heard a scratching noise. The bath tub is right next to the commode and the sound was coming from the tub. I looked in and there was a scorpion trying to scale the sides of the tub. I knew that scorpions are a common problem in Arizona, but this was much too up close and personal for my tastes. I let out a whoop and my sister came running. Finished my "reading" and got the heck out of there. No way that scorpion was going to scale the sides of the tub, but I wasn't going to stick around to find out. My BIL went out and sprayed the entire foundation of the house the next morning. That was one encounter I'll never forget.
    BettyGee, quilter on a Rocky Mountain High

Bit of shock therapy, huh?

Blog Entries
    thankfully, my iron has a cover attached to the water fill hole ,and won't steam unless its closed.

Blog Entries
    Wow, I'd have jumped a mile.
    Cheryl, hiding away in my quilting studio

Blog Entries
    oh, that's too freaky for me. scare alert!!!
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Blog Entries
    My sister in law would have gone wild.personally when she screams at them I just wonder what all the fuss is about. The only animal I run from is a female pig I was taught to run as a young child and have never forgotten it.( reason to run because she had been separated from piglets and was after them, all were being sold at market)
    Finished is better than a UFO

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeanne S View Post
    LOL, me too. I'd be there right next to you. giggle....
    My little shinning stars. Brantley, Kaylynn, and Emmalee
    https://www.quiltinaday.com/eleanora...nontheFarm.asp