Unusual Events in History

Old 05-27-2010, 08:12 AM
Google Goddess

ha ha

Originally Posted by Deb watkins
Well, General Sherman ended his march in my town. The men were so exhausted and hungry that they slautered their horses and ate them. All that was left as they moved on was the horses heads. Hence, the town's name, Horseheads. Imagine what the town would have been called if the other end of the horse was left.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:27 AM

My mother was a telephone switchboard operator in Clarendon Ark in the 1930s when the White River flooded. The whole area is very low, and when the waters started rising, she stayed at the switchboard (on the 2nd floor of the building) until some samaritan in a boat pulled up to the window and invited her to climb in. He rowed her to safety. As I remember the story, she said it was months before all the water receded and years before the area recovered.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:32 AM

Another Arkansas story: the town where I was born (Stuttgart, Ark) was home to a German POW camp in WWII. It really strikes me as ironic that German soldiers should travel all the way to the US to a town named after a German city.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by HIBISCUS
Another Arkansas story: the town where I was born (Stuttgart, Ark) was home to a German POW camp in WWII. It really strikes me as ironic that German soldiers should travel all the way to the US to a town named after a German city.
Which reminds me, one of the little tiny towns not far from where I was born had a Japanese relocation camp. It's camp Amache in Granada Colorado.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:18 AM
Pam

Owosso, Mi was also a POW camp for Germans soldiers. Many returned to the area after the war with famiies in tow, preferring to live in the USA.
Old 05-27-2010, 03:55 PM

i live in clara barton's hometown of oxford ma...her house is still standing, you can tour it and such...they also have a summer camp there...
Old 05-27-2010, 04:05 PM

here in our part of Denver we are two blocks fro railroad. way bak in the 50's a tanker filled with a greenish paint went off track and sides busted open. Word went out any one brining containers could have all the paint they wanted or needed. Evry house with in miles has this greenish paint somewhere in or on there houses. Mine is down in my laundry room. But the whole house used to be painted green. :)
Old 05-27-2010, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
Originally Posted by HIBISCUS
Which reminds me, one of the little tiny towns not far from where I was born had a Japanese relocation camp. It's camp Amache in Granada Colorado.

My husband said his grandpa used to preach at this camp during that time.
Old 05-27-2010, 05:25 PM

AND there was a lot of moonshining. Once, the feds came looking for a particular still. They were given such cockeyed directions that they ended up lost in the hills for 3 days. They never came back. My Grandpa always made his own brandy and according to my Dad, sampled it quite often![/quote]
------------------------
As a child running wild in the hills of WV during the depression, my cousins and
I were warned to watch out for horrid men who did terrible things to little girls.
At the first sight of them we were to go home, turn the dogs loose and tell our
uncles. We could tell the strangers by the way they dressed..three piece business suits and hats. Our uncles, on the other hand, wore bib overalls,
flannel shirts and big heavy work boots.

I was in my early 20s (slow thinker) when that light bulb finally went on over
my head. The "strangers" were Feds!!

But for many years I didn't like men in business suits, and when first married
I felt horrible when he dressed for a meeting and tried to kiss me goodbye!!!!!
Old 05-27-2010, 07:14 PM

Pam, I know Owosso pretty good, I have some friends and family still there, I lived in Flint for a few years, my son was born there. but there was too much meanest for me so I moved.