Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Up/Re-cycling ordinary items >

Up/Re-cycling ordinary items

Up/Re-cycling ordinary items

Old 01-14-2013, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Grama Lehr View Post
I like the empty kleenex box idea!
Instead of a Kleenex box I have an unused Pillowcase clipped to my table and all my threads, small clippings of fabrics, wadding etc; goes into that to make a Fur-Baby bed, my one loves her's and keeps all her special toys on it
Old 01-14-2013, 01:07 PM

the round pill bottles from the pharmacy are good for taking filled bobbins to quilt class or where ever you need to bring your machine when you sew away from home.
I also use the large plastic yogurt containers for small trash cans at the sewing machine.
The salad mix boxes are great for small quilt projects.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:36 PM
Power Poster

I like to use all my depression glassware and lovely old dishes to hold everything that is small. Pins, tacks, oil bottle, screw drivers, pens, pencils, rippers. I like to have pretty things around me when I sew. Some pieces that I use are happy memory things from family and friends.

Most are yard sale finds.

A few little chintzware candy dishes hold my thimbles, hand needles and wax.

My aluminum ware platters and bowls hold projects to move around.

I make little 'pillow cases' from fabric scraps to hold UFOs, I pin a lable to each one and can pick up a package to work on and know the pattern, fabric and finished part of the quilt is all together. When I finish the top I put it back in the case untill ready to quilt.

I like to use my stuff not hide it away for 'good' or company.

peace
Old 01-14-2013, 08:41 PM

I throw my old sewing items ie. wooden spools, oil cans etc in old green canning jars. Also throw broken odd jewelry in those canning jars just for the jewelry. Probably have others, but cannot think of those yet.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:13 AM

I have to have a Chinese takeaway when I run out of small plastic boxes for bits and bobs.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by DOTTYMO View Post
I have to have a Chinese takeaway when I run out of small plastic boxes for bits and bobs.
Best excuse for a takeaway yet but I must admit the plastic containers are great they go thro' the dishwasher as well!
Old 01-15-2013, 03:02 AM

I love pottery....so have a shelves all around the room and filled with my sewing stuff...and a teapot fulled with bobbins
Old 01-15-2013, 07:29 AM
Power Poster

when I cut out pieces for different blocks or multiples of the same to replicate a given block several times, I store the pieces in a "baggie" and lable the "baggie" with a permanent marker. When I am finished with the project, I take the baggies, clean the permanent (not really permanent) sharpie from the baggie with rubbing alcohol and I am ready to reuse them. I was amazed to find out how many different things alcohol will remove permanent sharpie from!!
Old 01-15-2013, 07:45 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by solstice3 View Post
when I cut out pieces for different blocks or multiples of the same to replicate a given block several times, I store the pieces in a "baggie" and lable the "baggie" with a permanent marker. When I am finished with the project, I take the baggies, clean the permanent (not really permanent) sharpie from the baggie with rubbing alcohol and I am ready to reuse them. I was amazed to find out how many different things alcohol will remove permanent sharpie from!!
I just use some painters tape that I keep in the sewing room ... then peel off when ready to start a-new.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:18 AM

If you ever need a fire starter, fill the empty toilet paper roll with lint from the dryer for a great one..my niece makes them up in the winter and uses them all summer while camping and other friends use them to start the fireplace fires. Lint is VERY flammable.