Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: uses for vintage antique treadle bases

uses for vintage antique treadle bases

Don't click this if using treadle bases for things other than sewing machines bothers you.
    But, if you can get your head around the idea that maybe the sewing machines were gone or not salvageable, you might enjoy seeing this:
    http://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/53108...s-and-cabinets
    You know that feeling when you've finished all your quilting projects and your studio is perfectly clean???? Me neither.

It's not how fast you sew, it's how well you sew fast! Wait, I think that's supposed to be MOW!

Clever use for them!
    Julie
    Good friends are like stars; you don't always see them, but you know they're always there!

Blog Entries
    I have 3 bases languishing in the garage. The tops are likely not salvageable. I really need to do something like this. Any suggestions for the drawers?
    'He cannot be a gentleman which loveth not a dog' -John Northbrooke
    Try to be as nice a person as your dog thinks you are.

I've seen the drawers, stacked 2 high, used as bookends
    You know that feeling when you've finished all your quilting projects and your studio is perfectly clean???? Me neither.

It's not how fast you sew, it's how well you sew fast! Wait, I think that's supposed to be MOW!

Quote Originally Posted by quilter1 View Post
    I have 3 bases languishing in the garage. The tops are likely not salvageable. I really need to do something like this. Any suggestions for the drawers?
    I have 3 of the drawers full of the little floppy disks that we used to use. It's been years since I had a computer that could read those disks, so I guess I have been keeping them together just because they fit perfectly, and it's sort of ironic that the discs are as antiquated as the drawers they're in, but less useful. I will be paying attention for a better idea.

I have a table made from a treadle base. I got the base without the machine and married it to a top from a small coffee table. It's a nice size for an entry table, but I'm not using it for that since we moved. It's in the corner of the sewing room now holding whatever lands there.

When I saw them used under lavatories, I thought wouldn't it be fun if you had to treadle to get the water to flow.
    True self-care is not salt baths and chocolate cake, it is making the choice to build a life you donít need to regularly escape from. ~Brianna Wiest

Blog Entries
    My sister gave me one that had been sitting in her yard and was in poor condition. She also gave me a slab of marble that had been sitting in he yard, it was in poor condition. My neighbor took both of them & cleaned them up and they look really good. the marble fit the top of the base & I now have them in my sewing room & my professional hemming machine is sitting on it.

On the TV show Flea Market Flip (on HGTV). I have seen a couple of items made with the bases of a treadle.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

It used to bother me a little bit but not any more. I like to see the treadle base so I would cover the top with Plate glass like for porch or patio and use it for small plants or drinks. I love that Victorian design
    Creativity is the essence of the soul
    Sandi

I have reused 4 of them. I have only used the iron part. Two I have placed glass on them and used them as end tables in my den. One I put a glass and wood combination and used it as a bedside table. The fourth my husband made a wooden top for an old singer to fit in and I use it as a sewing table.

Use the drawers in rooms as decorative pieces and put special objects in them.

Lots of great ideas to recycle them back to usefull!
    Born to Quilt, Forced to work. Retired and quilting!

Good ideas.........wouldn't bother me to have one of those........

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Same here. Try to salvage what we can and not load the landfill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandi View Post
    It used to bother me a little bit but not any more. I like to see the treadle base so I would cover the top with Plate glass like for porch or patio and use it for small plants or drinks. I love that Victorian design

Blog Entries
    I am turning one into a cutting board for my sewing room. Love the other ideas too!
    Never put off what you can do today, because tomorrow may never come.

Blog Entries
    *** I have one that I found at an auction for $2.50 that was missing the treadle.
    *** I added a plywood top & a keyboard tray and it is my computer desk between 2 file cabinets.
    J J (jbj137)

I am a G.R.I.T.
    G = girl R =raised I = in T = the S = South

I have a base in my breezeway with two table boards on for the top (who knows from which table they came). It sits under a window with cute things on it. Now I have added a sewing machine given me by my young sewing machine guy. I don't know if it will ever work again, but it's cute to look at on that table. I do have the original top, the fold down side extension, the two drawer racks, one drawer and the base for the coffin top. Someday they may all get together. I'm keeping them all in good condition.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher