Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Using cotton add-on to fleece throw help >

Using cotton add-on to fleece throw help

Using cotton add-on to fleece throw help

Old 11-28-2013, 06:32 AM

Default Using cotton add-on to fleece throw help

I am making a throw "John Deere" fleece for my husband for Xmas and it is not long enough for him in his chair. I have black fleece that I do not want to use for extension because it would attract dust, ect. and show so much more. I was thinking of using regular quilting cloth but don't know if it would work well. Any other fleece I have does not go well with the JD fabric. I can't buy more so have do with what I have. am going to have arm surgery and have to get it done before the 10th.
Old 11-28-2013, 06:40 AM
Power Poster

Fleece is often used as a backing on a quilt, so why not?

So what about making a cotton quilt the size you want to finish yours as. That might be a pieced quilt, or you might just use a cotton fabric, like a whole cloth.

Then add some of the same fabrics to your JD fleece to bring it to size.

Then sandwich the two with some batting and quilt away.

Last edited by QuiltE; 11-28-2013 at 06:55 AM.
Old 11-28-2013, 06:46 AM

I did not realize that cotton was used as a backing for fleece. Thank you! The Fleece is doubled so don't need the backing, just the ends.

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
Fleece is often used as a backing on a quilt, so why not?

So what about making a a cotton quilt the size you want to finish yours as. That might be a pieced quilt, or you might just use a cotton fabric, like a whole cloth.

Then add some of the same fabrics to your JD fleece to bring it to size.

Then sandwich the two with some batting and quilt away.
Old 11-28-2013, 06:57 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jetayre View Post
I did not realize that cotton was used as a backing for fleece. Thank you! The Fleece is doubled so don't need the backing, just the ends.
Well, it's usually the other way ... the backing is the fleece.

I know you had mentioned only the ends, before. However, I would think that the different textures would not allow for stability. Thus, why I would suggest your backing the fleece with the cotton, to stabilize it.

I have seen the JD panels, but never where they were double sided ... and actually bought one for a friend a few years ago, but just serged the edges. And yes, it is really too small for practical use. Would love to get it back now and do what I suggested to you with it!
Old 11-28-2013, 07:25 AM

The stability was what concerned me. Maybe using a narrow doubled cotton strip on long sides and the extension on the ends would work to stabilize it?
The JD panels are very large and bought two for front and back.
Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
Well, it's usually the other way ... the backing is the fleece so adding another layer with t cotton would make it too heavy for him. I did one years ago with a duck panel and was just the two things of fleece so no problem. The old one was used so much that it lost all its fizz and is about as thread-bare as fleece can be.

I know you had mentioned only the ends, before. However, I would think that the different textures would not allow for stability. Thus, why I would suggest your backing the fleece with the cotton, to stabilize it.

I have seen the JD panels, but never where they were double sided ... and actually bought one for a friend a few years ago, but just serged the edges. And yes, it is really too small for practical use. Would love to get it back now and do what I suggested to you with it!
Old 11-28-2013, 07:33 AM
Power Poster

See how much the fleece stretches where you want to add the cotton. If it stretches a lot, add a row of stay stitching to the fleece edge before trying to sew the cotton to it. You might also be able to attach the cotton to the less stretchy edge of the fleece with an overlock stitch like you would use on a t-shirt. If all else fails, consider ironing a nice edge on the cotton, place it on top of the fleece and do an appliqué buttonhole stitch?
Old 11-28-2013, 07:48 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jetayre View Post
The stability was what concerned me. Maybe using a narrow doubled cotton strip on long sides and the extension on the ends would work to stabilize it?
The JD panels are very large and bought two for front and back.
If you have not sandwiched the two JDs together yet ............ I'd put a cotton (perhaps something hiding in your stash that you will never use) between the two JDs. That would do the trick to stabilize it, once you quilt them together.

Then I would add to the sides/bottom/top to get it to the size I wanted.
Quilt and wrap ..... Happy Husband at Christmas!!!