UTI -- a private talk

Old 11-22-2010, 10:39 AM

Folks....I've been thru an incredible summer.....and just now finding out what's wrong.

This might be considered private, but I want to share so maybe it will help others.

Starting last summer I has having back aches. Been to two doctors, and 20 physical therapy treatments. The meds -- oh wow, they've changed my meds, etc.

Had said I've had it --- no improvement to speak of. Other than a spasm in my buttocks that has gone away, the back still hurts. I'm tired -- exhausted at times. And other problems. Like --- gee, hot flashes, so I now take black cohosh. Confusion --- oh dear, alzheimers runs in the family. Exhaustion -- well, the back hurts, so maybe you're not getting the best sleep. Nausea -- yeah, ditto - too tired.

So, in the middle of this I decide to get life insurance (no, I didn't think I was dying -- just something I should do). They did blood tests on Sept 21. Last Wednesday I get those test results. WOW --- My WBC is high!!! And another test that I had to look up was positive! the internet said UTI (urinary tract infection). nope -- I'm SURE I don't have that -- NO symptoms.
Doc took 7 vials of blood and a UA. Got a call today -- I have UTI!!!!! So I look up the symptoms.....did you know that exhaustion, hot/cold symptoms, nausea, and confusion are ALL symptoms of UTI??? I didn't!!! Okay -- I will NEVER think "Oh the doc won't find anything" again when I really do feel like I'm not well.

Hope this helps you all ---- now, I'm off to the pharmacy!!!!
Old 11-22-2010, 10:41 AM

thanks for sharing - we all need health info like this. Hope you feel better real soon.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:55 AM

Location: Currently Mosquito (which is outside of Placerville) California

Originally Posted by amandasgramma
Folks....I've been thru an incredible summer.....and just now finding out what's wrong.

This might be considered private, but I want to share so maybe it will help others.

Starting last summer I has having back aches. Been to two doctors, and 20 physical therapy treatments. The meds -- oh wow, they've changed my meds, etc.

Had said I've had it --- no improvement to speak of. Other than a spasm in my buttocks that has gone away, the back still hurts. I'm tired -- exhausted at times. And other problems. Like --- gee, hot flashes, so I now take black cohosh. Confusion --- oh dear, alzheimers runs in the family. Exhaustion -- well, the back hurts, so maybe you're not getting the best sleep. Nausea -- yeah, ditto - too tired.

So, in the middle of this I decide to get life insurance (no, I didn't think I was dying -- just something I should do). They did blood tests on Sept 21. Last Wednesday I get those test results. WOW --- My WBC is high!!! And another test that I had to look up was positive! the internet said UTI (urinary tract infection). nope -- I'm SURE I don't have that -- NO symptoms.
Doc took 7 vials of blood and a UA. Got a call today -- I have UTI!!!!! So I look up the symptoms.....did you know that exhaustion, hot/cold symptoms, nausea, and confusion are ALL symptoms of UTI??? I didn't!!! Okay -- I will NEVER think "Oh the doc won't find anything" again when I really do feel like I'm not well.

Hope this helps you all ---- now, I'm off to the pharmacy!!!!
Thank you for sharing! I'm glad you're getting help. You will feel so much better and soon! PS...don't forget to take something to help balance your flora and fauna so that you don't get a yeast infection on top of this.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:00 AM
mim

wow!!! Thanks for the heads up -- not to give up when the docs don't listen all that well. I had no idea that so many things could point to UTI.

I'm glad you finally got to the bottom (NOT a pun) of it.

Mim
Old 11-22-2010, 11:01 AM

Hey, there. If a UTI is the same as a bladder infection, I have always had CIPRO to clear it up totally in three days. When I get one of those buggers it feels like I am giving birth to a set of broken dishes and my stomach is going to fall right out on the floor! I usually feel like you felt and that is how I know to get the CIPRO. Hope you are feeling good real soon. It isn't gonna kill you but sometimes you feel like you are going to cash in!

Happy Thanksgiving to you. Edie
Old 11-22-2010, 11:07 AM
Power Poster

Thank goodness. At least now you know what's wrong and they can fix it. Yipee
Old 11-22-2010, 11:12 AM
Power Poster

Get well soon!
Old 11-22-2010, 11:13 AM

This is what my poor daughter has been going through and it is a result of urinary reflux-I knew there was something wrong!
I am glad you found the problem and are on the road to getting better.
Hugs
April
Old 11-22-2010, 11:16 AM

Get well soon! All the best from Germany across the pond :).
Old 11-22-2010, 11:17 AM

My grandma used to get them a lot! When she was in the nursing home we would come in look at her and make them test her for UTI! 9/10 times we were right. It's amazing how these will drag you down and make you think it's something else!! I mean come on how the heck can something wrong with your pee make your neck hurt!! LOL! It's all connected! And the one lady said to make sure you take something to protect your flora, you need to make sure u eat yogurt when taking these meds or you will end up with a yeast infection!! Good luck and I will add you to my prayer list!!