Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Vacuum help needed

Question Vacuum help needed

Shark or Dyson? I'm in need of a new vacuum and I've heard both are great. I have a 30% off coupon at Kohls, so I'm thinking now might be the time!

I have one medium dog and hardwood and carpet flooring. Thanks!
    -Teri from Minne-sn*w-ta

Blog Entries
    SHark, they are great and way less money. I have one and am just loving it
    Patski
    always learning

I have 2 Dysons. When we had the big hairy German Shepherd I got the first one - the big purple one. Love it. Worked great and sucked up tons of hair. Fast forward to doggie went to heaven and I got the Digital Slim. Love it too. Cordless. Hardwood, carpet and furniture. I can do the entire house and it doesn't need to be recharged. I've never had a Shark so can't compare.
    Alyce

I have never had a Shark, but would not give up my Dyson for any other machine. It is one of the first ones that came out and is amazing how much dirt it gets out of everything. We have 2 mini schnauzers, carpet, ceramic tile and wood floors. Using the hose is a little problematic. It's hard for me to keep it straight so that it doesn't kink when I am trying to get something overhead.

Whichever you get, if you don't like it, you can always take it back.
    Sew a Little, Love a Lot & Live like you were dying!

Blog Entries
    I have both. The Dyson is the purple one and perfect. The shark is half as large, but perfect too. I use it for my sewing room and the Dyson the rest of the house. You won't do wrong either way, in my opinion

I have a Dyson - the red one from Costco. We have a dog that sheds a lot and I am always amazed at the amount of hair it picks up. The only thing I don't like about it is I find the hose too long and awkward to manage. But my friend has the same one and she likes the long hose.

Love love love my red costco dyson......and FYI groupon as refurbished ball dysons right now for $250
    Billi
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood

Dyson...you won't regret it.

Even though I do have a Dyson and like it, I think they are way overpriced.

My mother got the Dyson, she did not bother to lift it, and had trouble due to the weight. She lifted in a three story house and it could not do stairs. She bought another brand for the upstairs and the stairs. So just try them both out before you buy. I do believe they have one that is lighter.

Shark. Dyson is way too expensive. Have one Shark for downstairs and one for upstairs. I also have hardwood except bedrooms are carpeted. And I also use a stick vaccuum for quick zips around. The Shark has the swivel, good suction, easy to dump out the dirt, and comes apart easily for using the brush or pointer thing. When it comes apart, that canister part is pretty light.

I've had the vaccums about 4 years for one and 2 years for the other and haven't had any issues with them

of course, we don't have animals here so I can't attest to the dog hair cleaning
    Lori

I have the Dyson and wouldn't give it up. I have 7 cats so need something that will pick up all that hair! I use it on hard floors and carpeting. Certainly don't regret making that purchase!

Have had both. I found the Sharks do not last. The Purple Dyson has gone on for years.
    I promise not to buy any more fabric until I see something I really like. Or it's on sale. Or I think it might match something.

I, too, have the purple dyson. 2 labs = lots of hair. Dyson does a great job. It IS heavy. I like the fact that all the tools are self-contained. I don't find it problematic to use the hose/tools. Use it on ceramic tile; carpet; vinyl. No settings to change. I have a small other brand (don't recall) that I keep upstairs under the delusion that there is not as much hair/dirt upstairs as down. More and more I find myself dragging the dyson up/down the stairs. THAT is painful but it does do a much better job.

Dyson Love It!! Have the purple all floors and got the small canister for my lower level and sewing room. Not as fond of the canister but it does a great job sucking up the junk!!! They both sure do a great job on all the floors, we have dogs and a bird.
    niftynickel

JT
    I have the Shark Rotator. Go to the shark website and you can get the Rotator and a steam mop for about $200, one third of the price of a dyson. I've had mine for over one year and not a problem, picks up dog hair like you can't believe. Great attachments and quick and easy to use. I work at a quilt shop and the owner needed a new vac. She order one set for the shop and one set for her home. GREAT VACUM!!! Picks up way better than the Electrolux or Kirby that I've had. The top rated vacum!!!
    JT

I have 3 Dysons (the 1st one was purchased used) & wouldn't do without any of them. They are expensive but worth every penny IMHO. I live in a 2 storey house (not counting the basement) & cannot drag machines up & down the stairs. Can't comment on a Shark because I have never used one.
    Dance like no one is watching

Blog Entries
    please don't buy a shark if you have pets there is no way to take the head off and clean the roller brush after 3 monthe mine burned out the motor they did send me another one but now no warranty so as soon as it is done I will have to decide what to buy just make sure you can open to get to the roller brush to clean threads and hair

We are looking for carpet for our upstairs so have visited with installer/ carpet cleaners etc. It seems that some Dyson models as well as other brands untwist the carpet fibers therefore wear out the carpet very rapidly. I would suggest that before making a purchase decision one should do some research as to what is best for carpet. It is too big of an investment to just go to WalMart or Costco or whatever and read the box only. IMHO.

Blog Entries
    SewinSue that is very good advise maybe some of those fibers is what burned up my Shark but I am going to be very careful in my buying another one it will have to be one that I am able to take out threads or whatever wraps around the roller brush thanks for the info on carpet fibers

Love my Dyson, it clean better than any one I've owned
    Freedom to speak is a gift ;please don't take it from us..

Blog Entries
    Does anyone use a CANISTER VACUUM anymore? the one, usually, with the hose and wands and the "on-board" tool rack?? We have a Kirby upright, but attaching the hose is a bear!!!!! My husband pushes the Kirby...I go around with my Kenmore canister and get the baseboards and ALL the crevices incl. window sills, under the fridge, behind the washer and dryer, etc. Opinions???
    cpfrog - "Those who sew together, grow together." - Amy Dickinson

We had 2 Sharks. Each one lasted less than a year and we do not have a large house, pets or children. We now have 2 Dysons, a regular and the lightweight one that runs on a battery. Dysons are expensive but they do a great job.

I have a mini upright Dyson - it is half the size of the big one. It is much more powerful than bigger machines that I have had and adequate for a three room flat that I live in. I am so impressed that my next purchase will be the battery one so I can vacuum my car. I've had the small upright for 5 years now and it is still strong.

Blog Entries
    I have a Dyson , LOVE IT !!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast