Vegetable Soup

Old 02-01-2010, 10:45 AM
Power Poster

I make my soups, and then divide them when it comes to adding potatoes, rice, or noodles. I freeze the soup and when I heat it, I will add the potatoes, rice or noodles then. This also gives you the opportunity to change the carbs with each bag of soup base. :D:D:D
Old 02-01-2010, 11:48 AM

I can my veggie soup
Old 02-01-2010, 02:20 PM
Power Poster

I don't do either, I cook it and put in plastic containers with Plastic lids. We heat and eat until it is gone, next time I make something else and do the same and on and on. I try to make something on Sundays that hopefully last a week, if not we eat pB sandwiches. I hate the thought of cooking every night, I did that for 25 years when we had kids at home and I didn't work outside the home. Most nights I work on a quilt instead. Much more enjoyable.
Old 02-01-2010, 04:03 PM

I don't do either, either! I buy my cans...Progresso cans!!
Old 02-01-2010, 04:22 PM

We freeze soup every year. As the produce comes in (from the garden) DH cooks it then freezes it in gallon bags. When he has everything he needs he thaws it out mixes it together, heats it in a huge pan. We bag it up in ziplocks and freeze. Our soup has potatoes, corn, onions, orka butter beans, cabbage and lots of tomatoes probably something else. We eat it all year and our picky DD loves it. She adds ground beef to suit her DH but we eat ours with no meat.
Got pinto beans soaking for tomorrows dinner. Tonight we had frozen from the garden, greens, sweet potatoes, corn bread and plaintains those were from out co-op. Not to sure about plaintains. Tomorrow I'm trying them a different way.
Old 02-01-2010, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Olivia's Gramy
Tonight we had frozen from the garden, greens, sweet potatoes, corn bread and plaintains those were from out co-op. Not to sure about plaintains. Tomorrow I'm trying them a different way.
I love plantains, but I've never actually bought and cooked any myself. Would love to hear what you do with them!
Old 02-02-2010, 08:00 AM

As others have said, the potatoes don't freeze well for me either. You can freeze it, add potatoes for the 2nd time, and add more seasonings. I have found that the salt and pepper, ect, are all flat the 2nd time.
It really is a time saver to have a meal in the freezer for when you don't feel like cooking, too busy, ect.
Marta
Old 02-02-2010, 11:50 AM

Just the 2 of us now so a big pot of soup lasts a long time so I freeze some for another day. Sometimes taste is a little different and have to add more seasonings after being frozen but that's a lot less work than cooking a whole meal. All time favorites are Creamy Carrot Soup (no cream, just puree carrots to make it creamy), French Spring Soup (chicken broth with veggies and rice that you add some light cream at the end), Meatball Soup (chicken broth, pastina, carrots, spinach and tiny meatballs) and a Veggie Stew (veggies and lentils). Add some warm bread and it's heaven. Canned favorites are Campbell's Tomato soup with a grilled cheese sandwich and Progresso's Chickerina Soup. May in Jersey
Old 02-02-2010, 08:32 PM

Yes you can freeze soup.
I make a large pot and take some to some widow ladies and then put the rest in the freezer for those days that I don't know what to fix or are just plain busy sewing.