Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Vestibular Syndrome in Dogs >

Vestibular Syndrome in Dogs

Vestibular Syndrome in Dogs

Old 04-13-2010, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Clothlady46
Just to let you know that my dog, a Springer Spaniel who is 14, just recovered from this disease. It was real scary for me and my family. At one point he was having uncontrolled tremors, but the vet said that was part of the process. We are about four weeks past the diagnosis and he is doing very well. Sometimes I do detect a little wobble in his walk but he is active again and his appetite is back to normal. I too worried about having to put him down. We seem to have dodged that bullet though. Good luck.
Thanks so much for posting your dog's experience with this awful disease. I'm so glad to hear that your dog is doing better. We were told by the Vet today that each dog's recovery is different and encouraged us to get our dog "moving" more. She has been reluctant to do any walking so we're working on "physical therapy" right now and get her out and walking. I am happy to report that our dog's appetite is good, too, but only time will tell.
Old 04-13-2010, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by granniebj
Oh I feel so sorry for her! I've been pretty lucky with the 3 dogs I have now. I would give her every chance, but not let her suffer for long. Did the vet say that she will recover, or is it something that won't go away?
It seems to vary but most dog are left with some problems like a "tilted head". If our dog doesn't get better, it might mean she has some other health issue that is causing her behaviors. (and none of them are "good")
Old 04-13-2010, 07:55 PM

i understand it is verry hard whenour loved ones are ill my tony a poodle was attacked by a pitbull he had a lot of internal injuries nothing you could see my mom wanted me to put him down but my credit card so no he had major surgery 4 holes in his bladder a hole in his tube going from bladder to kidney. the muscle that surrounds his heart was like shreaded beef with a lot of love he recovered he still get bladder infections once in a while.
tony saved my life my truck was parked in a truck stop in gary indiana a person tried to break into my truck tony woke me up and al;erted me he prouble saved my life that night.
the second time he saved my life i got food poisning from truck stop food i was so sick i could hardly move .my doctor said if it wasn't for having tiol take tony for walks i proubly would have died people don't realize how close we get to our pets . they are just like our childern family
god bless you and you dog i will say a doggy pray for her
Old 04-13-2010, 08:26 PM

My 15 yr old furbaby has Rocky MTN tick fever which as attacked his legs. He is doing better, mostly, and goes to see the vet this Friday. He still cannot/will not walk down the stairs but occasionally he'll walk up them. His appetite is back, thank goodness, but has potty accidents in the house now. We hope he will recover fully for a dog his age but are also prepared that he might not. DH will talk to vet this Fri about the walking thing but he no longer walks like a drunken sailor. His illness has been rough on all of us, especially my girls. We've had him as long as we've lived in KS and he truly is one of my babies.
I hoe your baby recovers fuly.
Old 04-14-2010, 06:05 AM

My dog also has Canine Vestibular Syndrome. He's only about five years old (unusual in a "younger" dog). Because of his age, it made it hard to diagnose. It took him a few days before he could walk almost a straight line, but with rest and a lot of tlc, he made a full recovery -- except for the tilted head sometimes. Every so often he does tend to walk in circles, but I think he does it mostly for attention. He is not on any medication. Prognosis was maybe he'll have another episode, maybe not. I know it's scarey when it hits, but once you know what it is, it makes it a lot easier to deal with.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:36 PM
Banned

never heard of it. Penny
Old 04-15-2010, 02:39 AM

Originally Posted by Joan
Our 14 year old Lab has been diagnosed with Vestibular Syndrome.
I am so sorry your furbaby is going through this. If you can afford it, and the Vet this she will recover. then good job.
if not, she is very near the end of her life span. don't let her suffer. so sad, been though the illness thing with my rotty..the vet was honest with me, and said if Babe was hers, she would let her go. She was only 7, but there was not anything they could do for her..she would only get worse. saddest day of my life...

:-(
Old 04-24-2010, 06:37 PM

UPDATE :P

Molly is coming out of the vestibular syndrome. It has taken 2 1/2 weeks but she is beginning to act like her regular self. She went to the Vet yesterday for a follow-up appointment and the Vet was pleased with her progress. It has been a lot of work but to see that happy look in her eye and her tail wag (plus she has regained her appetite--big time) makes it all worthwhile. She may still wobble a little but she truly has regained some "quality" life!

Thank you for all of your kind thoughts and sharing your dog experiences with me. It really helped!!!!

This is just the greatest message board!!! :thumbup:
Old 04-24-2010, 06:55 PM
Google Goddess

hugs
Old 04-24-2010, 07:06 PM
Power Poster

awww, I never heard of this. Must be so hard to watch.
Praying your doggie gets well. I still miss my Bitsy.