Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Vicks Vapor Rub - not a joke. >

Vicks Vapor Rub - not a joke.

Vicks Vapor Rub - not a joke.

Old 12-23-2010, 07:31 AM

I love this trick! It makes both child and parent happy!!
The other thing my doctor told us to use when our daughter was younger, honey. Give them a little before they got to bed and it soothes their throat better then any cough syrup out there! I was told it works better on kids 6 and under but my 10 year old tried it and it worked as well!
Old 12-23-2010, 07:35 AM

Another use for Vick's is to cure toenail fungus. Put it on your toes twice a day. Takes a while to kill it off but it's a lot better than the meds that can damage your kidneys.
Old 12-23-2010, 07:40 AM

I've been doint the vicks on the feet for sometime and yes it works.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:38 AM

This truly does work!
Old 12-23-2010, 09:38 AM

btdt!!!! and yes it does work it also will soften you feet when you use vapor rub.
Old 12-23-2010, 11:36 AM

This is the EXACT wording of the article on snopes.com. She must have passed on the article, but didn't actually compose it as it leads us to believe. In any case, I'll have to give it a try!
Old 12-23-2010, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Kitsie
VICKS VapoRub - INTERESTING
During a lecture on Essential Oils, they told us how the foot soles can absorb oils. Their example: Put garlic on your feet and within 20 minutes you can 'taste' it.

Some of us have used Vicks VapoRub for years for everything from chapped lips to sore toes and many body parts in between. But I've never heard of this. And don't laugh, it works 100% of the time, although the scientists who discovered it aren't sure why. To stop night time coughing in a child (or adult as we found out personally), put Vicks VapoRub generously on the soles of your feet, cover with socks, and the heavy, deep coughing will stop in about 5 minutes and stay stopped for many, many hours of relief. Works 100% of the time and is more effective in children than even very strong prescription cough medicines. In addition it is extremely soothing and comforting and they will sleep soundly.

Just happened to tune in A.M. Radio and picked up this guy talking about why cough medicines in kids often do more harm than good, due to the chemicals in them. This method of using Vicks VapoRub on the soles of the feet was found to be more effective than prescribed medicines for children at bed time. In addition it seems to have a soothing and calming effect on sick children who then went on to sleep soundly.

My wife tried it on herself when she had a very deep constant and persistent cough a few weeks ago and it worked 100%! She said that it felt like a warm blanket had enveloped her, coughing stopped in a few minutes. So she went from; every few seconds uncontrollable coughing, she slept cough-free for hours every night she used it.

If you have grandchildren, pass this on. If you end up sick, try it yourself and you will be amazed at how it works.
DON'T SHUN THIS ONE.. TRY IT THE NEXT TIME YOU GET A BAD COLD. THE ONLY THING YOU CAN LOSE IS YOUR COUGH..

This was sent to me by my DC who also gave me the "Perfect Binding" tute and that sure works!
My oldest daughter is 59 and the Dr, back then told us to use vicks this way. Our other 5 children also were treated to the vick's solution, but all said it worked best if they could wear one of Dad's T shirts. Guess love combined with vicks works!
Old 12-23-2010, 01:06 PM

I had to laugh at this. My dear Mother (died in '81)used Vicks on everything. We used to swear she'd use it to fix a broken arm. Never heard of using it on the feet though. I'll try that and pass this on to my kids and gr-kids.
Old 12-23-2010, 01:10 PM

For us it was goose grease on an old knee-high itchy, hand knitted sock (which socks, btw, we had to wear until June whether it was 80 deg or not!)
Old 12-23-2010, 01:28 PM

My mother-in-law used rubbing alcohol for everything including on a sprained ankle.
Originally Posted by ajohn52
I had to laugh at this. My dear Mother (died in '81)used Vicks on everything. We used to swear she'd use it to fix a broken arm. Never heard of using it on the feet though. I'll try that and pass this on to my kids and gr-kids.