Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Waitresses, Waiters Pay

Waitresses, Waiters Pay

We have heard that some states do not have any minimum wage for wait staff. We are in Arizona for the winter and even though we do not eat out very often because of my food allergies, I would like clarification. What would they be paid here and what would be expected for a tip? Thanks.

Most waitresses do not get minimum wages. They rely on tips to make up the difference. Nowadays tips go from 10 to 20% of the bill. I think most lean towards the upper amounts.

I think you're safe to assume that they are getting paid below minimum wage. I believe that 20% is the amount you're supposed to tip. For excellent service, I tip 25 - 30%
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

Wait staff here don't get a wage. They are expected to collect tips and they are taxed.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

https://www.dol.gov/whd/state/tipped.htm
    This explains how it works if you can follow it,
    We usually tip around 20%.

Waitressing is the most overworked, underpaid job you will ever have. I did it for 5 years. Tips make all the difference.

Tipped employees get paid at least $2.13 an hour. In some states they get paid more. (Washington, Oregon, California, Nevada, Alaska, Hawaii, Minnesota, West Virginia, and Connecticut).

Quote Originally Posted by maryb119 View Post
    Waitressing is the most overworked, underpaid job you will ever have. I did it for 5 years. Tips make all the difference.
    I totally agree. I was a waitress and then a bartender for 10+ years. I made a good living but really worked for it. 10 and 11 hour days occurred weekly. Tips make all the difference is so true.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    having waited before, the wages are way below minimum because employers are able to count the tips in what "they" pay and meet labor laws where there is a minimum required. So I almost always tip 20% unless the service is terrible.

Blog Entries
    I never was a waitress which is lucky for any one who was eating in a restaurant in which I might have worked! I know I would have dropped a tray for sure. My kids waited tables when they were in college and from them I learned how demanding that job can be. We always tip at least 20% even if the service is bad because who know what that poor server is dealing with.
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

Blog Entries
    This is 2018 right???? So sad.

If I didn't have enough money to leave a good tip I wouldn't go out. They earn their money and I refuse to be a cheapskate in the tipping department. I can't think of a worse job to have.
    Since some restaurants have them pool their tips I especially don't want anyone to lose out.

When my daughter waited tables she only got less than a couple dollars an hour and the rest was supposed to be made up in tips. This was over 20 years ago so if this is still the case that's horrible. Her taxable income was based on the assumption she got at least min. wage. There were times she didn't get much in tips or nothing for a tip. She didn't last long at doing that.
    Lori

I worked as head chef in a restaurant for a few years. The job is stressful in the kitchen, but at least I knew how much money I would earn each week. I never wanted to be a waitress! I really think that there should be a law against this form of slave labor. Minimum wage is legally minimum wage for a reason.

ETA Oh, and I was on minimum wage in the kitchen too, as head chef. I don't know if that is normal too.
    Last edited by NZquilter; 11-19-2018 at 07:27 AM. Reason: Edited to Add
    We didn't realize we were making memories, we just knew we were having fun. ~ Winnie the Pooh ~

1912 World's Rotary Treadle (White Company), 1942 Singer 66-16, 1952 Pfaff 130-6, 1954 Singer 15-91, 1956 Singer 201-2

when I was waitressing in Oregon in the 70's the tax law had the establishment figure 8% tips. Believe me, there are lots of places where you'd never get that much in tips. Buffets come to mind, and fast food..I mean who do you tip there? Maybe they do fall under the minimum wage law.

I've also known a few waitpersons from high end restaurants who made what seemed like a fortune to me, 2-4 hundred a night.

Blog Entries