WalMart sales down & why

Old 09-22-2010, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by redkimba
Wal-Mart may have tried for the "higher end" customers, but it forgot (and lost) about the "bread and butter" customers who shop there.

I basicallyy stopped buying there when they stopped having paraffin oil on the shelves. Now I rarely go to Wal-Mart anymore unless I have a variety of goods that I want or need to buy.
OK, I'll bite, what is paraffin oil for?
Old 09-22-2010, 08:53 AM

i go to wm for sunflower seed in 20# bags - otherwise i grocery shop at my local mad butcher that has recently remodeled. for the first time in 11 years i was able to buy all my thanksgiving/christmas food items right here in town. i did have to go to wm for shout color catchers but now i can get them at mad butcher. they don't even have a good supply of knit/crochet thread and forget about buying dmc embroidery thread!
Old 09-22-2010, 09:08 AM
Power Poster

After calling WalMart and getting the person that has to write down whatever the caller says - wonder if they are able to get sarcasm into the note? -

I told them "thank you for taking fabric out of the store - I now will save at least $1000 per year on fabric and sewing related items - and will not pick up the other stuff that I used to get while in there. My DH is delighted that I am not running to the store every other day now for some item."
Old 09-22-2010, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
I told them "thank you for taking fabric out of the store - I now will save at least $1000 per year on fabric and sewing related items - and will not pick up the other stuff that I used to get while in there. My DH is delighted that I am not running to the store every other day now for some item."
That's exactly the point, isn't it?!
Old 09-22-2010, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by sewmuchmore
One thing is clear they are totally out of touch with their buyers. :roll:
That is the wisest statement yet in the WalMart saga. In the big picture, I think they were thinking we can do whatever we want...people gotta eat, people gotta wear clothes....

Yup. We sure do. But we DON'T gotta get it from you!

:lol:

I think it's awesome. The power of the dollar.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts
Wal-Mart may have tried for the "higher end" customers, but it forgot (and lost) about the "bread and butter" customers who shop there.

I basicallyy stopped buying there when they stopped having paraffin oil on the shelves. Now I rarely go to Wal-Mart anymore unless I have a variety of goods that I want or need to buy.
I think canning, isn't it?
Old 09-22-2010, 11:24 AM
Power Poster

I googled and it said that paraffin oil is known as kerosene in Australia and the U.S., and stove oil in Canada. It is an inflammable liquid hydrocarbon burned as fuel.
Isn't paraffin wax what they used for cannng? I am not sure about this though...
Old 09-22-2010, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by misseva
i go to wm for sunflower seed in 20# bags -
You can probably get sunflower seed at the farm supply store. That's where I get mine.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:40 PM

I must be the only person who has never shopped at Walmart!
Old 09-22-2010, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae

Parafin oil is a fuel substance and you are right! Parafin wax is used for canning!
I googled and it said that paraffin oil is known as kerosene in Australia and the U.S., and stove oil in Canada. It is an inflammable liquid hydrocarbon burned as fuel.
Isn't paraffin wax what they used for cannng? I am not sure about this though...