WalMart sales down & why

Old 09-22-2010, 01:46 PM

On the bus, I overheard some people talking about Wal-Mart. One said she is waiting for the going-out-of-business sale. When questioned she replied "haven't you seen that when stores don't keep their shelves stocked, they go out of business?" I thought it was interesting what people think.
Old 09-22-2010, 01:56 PM

Location: From WI then Denver then Houston and now Hainesville, IL

Originally Posted by zennia
My wally world looks like a big warehouse. I hate it. I wish they would return to the good ole days where it was fun to shop and look around. Now I feel like this is what we have,get it and get out.
Hope they finally listen to us customers.
That is what I don't like about our new store! It looks like a bad Sam's Club! I use to like to wander around our old store - which had fabric!!!!!

Only if other stores are closed will I go here...

:thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
Old 09-22-2010, 02:05 PM

OK, well, I can speak with some knowledge here about the WalMart sparsely stocked shelves. My husband has for the last 8 months worked as a night stocker (not "stalker"!!) at our newest super center here. It's a job...but that's all. Not gonna discuss that aspect here. Anyway, they can only staff per sales $$..so, if their sales are not so high, they can only have "X" number of stock people working. If they can't get all the shelves re-stocked in the 8 hours of the night shift, then some people who don't have so much to do during the day will try to fill in. But if they can't do it, then it gets kicked up to the next night, etc. etc. etc. That's why the most favorite items are sometimes not on the shelf...they cannot have enough stock people working to get all the work done. You should see what the managers do...they walk around with timers and watch the stock people work and make notes. If they can't do the work fast enough, they get written up....OK, I wasn't gonna go there....sorry!!!
Old 09-22-2010, 02:13 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jljack
OK, well, I can speak with some knowledge here about the WalMart sparsely stocked shelves. My husband has for the last 8 months worked as a night stocker (not "stalker"!!) at our newest super center here. It's a job...but that's all. Not gonna discuss that aspect here. Anyway, they can only staff per sales $$..so, if their sales are not so high, they can only have "X" number of stock people working. If they can't get all the shelves re-stocked in the 8 hours of the night shift, then some people who don't have so much to do during the day will try to fill in. But if they can't do it, then it gets kicked up to the next night, etc. etc. etc. That's why the most favorite items are sometimes not on the shelf...they cannot have enough stock people working to get all the work done. You should see what the managers do...they walk around with timers and watch the stock people work and make notes. If they can't do the work fast enough, they get written up....OK, I wasn't gonna go there....sorry!!!
I think this is happening in a lot of different stores. It would make more sense to me to get the shelves stocked, so they could sell those popular products. I also think you catch more bees with honey. Propping up employees rather than tearing them down will make happier bees and they will increase productivity. Just my opinoin though...
Old 09-22-2010, 02:20 PM

I agree 100%
Old 09-22-2010, 02:31 PM

The whole staffing thing is run by computers at WalMart...no manager decisions allowed..it's by the numbers, period.
Old 09-22-2010, 02:43 PM

'tis a shame. Less to sale, lower the numbers. Vicsious sycle, I'd say. Thanks for giving us the "real scoop".
Old 09-22-2010, 02:44 PM
Banned

I used to say I would never step back into another Wally World again but since they are a lot cheaper on their ammo than Bass Pro and Cabella's I have started going back. But sporting goods are the only items I have been buying and then I happened upon a huge selection of 5 yard bolts of fabric for $5.

This is the first fabric I have seen in a Walmart in years. I started to buy some because of the pattern of some were identical of the old Flour Sacks that I love so. Now since I have the Retirement home thing going I might just go there to buy the fabric for the projects, its cheap enough!

Billy
Old 09-22-2010, 02:49 PM

Options:
1. I can go to Wal-mart and pay a little less per item. Trip is 29 miles one way. Products come from around the world and are new. Usually end up with buggy of stuff I don't really need.
2. I can shop local in our small town mom and pop stores and get pretty much everything I need. Produce is local grown, meat costs less. Our clothes come from the area Ministry store which is a 100% non profit group run by volunteers that provides clothing, food, household supplies for free to people in need from the money it makes from donations....
I choose to support my local area.
I worked at Wal-mart when MR. Sam died. Let's just say he is spinning in his grave.
Old 09-22-2010, 03:35 PM

I very, very rarely shop at Wal-mart. I do not like to shop in huge stores where I have to wander around all over the place looking for the one, or two, items I am running in to buy. And, I absolutely hate it at holiday time when there are screaming kids begging for things and parents yelling at their kids! To be honest, I can generally watch sales and pick items up on sale at my local (and smaller) grocery store and at Kohls.