Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Want a drink with insect coloring? >

Want a drink with insect coloring?

Want a drink with insect coloring?

Old 03-19-2011, 08:58 AM

? are you saying they use Ladybug wings?
Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
It's an insect that is ground up and put into food for the coloring.
-----------------------------------------------
Are insects used to make food coloring? - The Boston Globe
Mar 6, 2006 ... Q: A few weeks ago at a party the subject came up about food coloring. I told the guests about the red bugs that are raised to make #40 red.
www.boston.com/news/globe/health_science/articles/2006/03/... - Similar
snopes.com: Food Color Made From Bugs
Feb 20, 2007 ... Food colorant made of ground bugs? ... The desiccated insects would then be ground to a fine ... Color Additives and Cosmetics ...
www.snopes.com/food/ingredient/bugjuice.asp - Similar
Answers.com - Was red food coloring made from beetles' wings
Was red food colori ng made from beetles' wings? What is red artificial food coloring made of? Is red food color made from insect wings? ...
wiki.answers.com/Q/Was_red_food_coloring_made_from_be... - Similar
Cochineal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The insect produces carminic acid that deters predation by other insects. ... Carmine is today primarily used as a food colouring and for cosmetics. ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cochineal - Similar
Carmine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Food industries were aggressively opposed to the idea of writing "insect ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carmine - 11 hours ago - Similar
[ More results from en.wikipedia.org ]
Old 03-19-2011, 09:08 AM

Talking about a very permanent red color, I wish I could find some old Coty 24 lipstick that I used to get 20 or more years ago. Now that did last and last. In fact, it got so that a lot of hospitals said not to use any lip stick before operations, and one nurse I knew said she mentioned Coty 24 to the patients days before the operations. They can know at a glance you're low on O2 just by looking at lips and fingernails, which means no nail polish either. I'd even accept lipstick with Cochineal in it!!!! In fact, maybe it was made from insects in the first place!!
Old 03-19-2011, 09:18 AM

Although cochineal may be used as a food colorant, I am surprised that it would be because as a product for dyers it is very, very expensive. I understand that the price has recently gone up again because there was something that has drastically reduced the cochineal population. So I suspect that if not already, in the very near future cochineal may not be used as much as it is at present.

You should also note that on food lableling they are not required to list an ingredient that is less than some minute amount, not sure what it is, so likely we are all taking in a few bugs, etc. I try not to dwell on it, if it really mattered to me I would be growing all my own veg and killing my own animals..... eww, I can barely carve up a chicken.
Old 03-19-2011, 02:23 PM

Eeww is right about the chicken! we get real free range chicken from one of the farmers markets here in Rochester and it is sold whole... since I rarely cook a whole bird for 2 people I have to 'part it out' myself. We eat something else the day I have to do that :-)
Old 03-19-2011, 03:22 PM

I quit eating strawberry yogurt because of this. Isn't it DISGUSTING?
Old 03-20-2011, 09:05 AM

I worked with a woman who experienced a serious allergic reaction to this dye. Her face swelled up and she experience a swelling in her throat that cut off her breathing. It resulted in an emergency room visit and a overnight stay at a hospital. All this for one piece of a Good & Plenty.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:01 PM

How can you gain weight by drink diet soda
Old 03-20-2011, 09:15 PM

I've read about that.......on the other hand, can't even drink water without wondering ....there are reserviors around here left open...and the city is being forced to cover it (of course at the tune of a potential 85% increase in rates for 5 years!) {Want to be those increased never come down?}

Tiquela anyone? Kills worms. :lol:
Old 03-20-2011, 09:21 PM
Power Poster

I hear you. Now they have mayonaise with lemon juice concentrate. Sounds innocent but lemon juice concentrate often has sulfites. I agree on the MSG. It is hidden in just about anything processed.

Originally Posted by amandasgramma
I have issues with MSG and Aspertame. The law states that the manufactures have to list the foods or "things" they put in their product, but they don't have to list the foods or things in the products that they put in their products. Example: spaghetti sauce will say it has "tomato sauce". If you look at the containers of sauce in the store you'll see some have "broth and tomatoes" and others will have "water and tomatoes". The broth more than likely is bouillon....which contains MSG. But they don't have to list MSG....in fact, they can say their product does not have MSG!!! I even found MSG in my hair conditioner!!!!! The coconut scented kind has MSG -- as a preservative. Frustrating!!!
Old 03-20-2011, 09:29 PM

The pretty shimmery lipstick and nail polish is fish scales! SoMe perfume- anal glands of cats! Gross stuff everywhere!!