Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Warning about posting to Craigslist

I posted a bed for sale recently on craigslist. It's the kind that you plug in and it inflates, has legs, etc. I didn't get any responses except one. His name was Ernie and he wanted to make sure I would sell it to him and what would I take as my final price, I told him my price and he agreed to it and asked me to take the posting down as a sign that it was sold to him. I did so and then I received another e-mail saying he would be sending me a postal money order. OK so then he goes on to say that I will need to send the extra money from the money order to a mover who will be picking up the bed. He also explained in explicit detail how I was to make the money order out when it arrived. The money orders arrived yesterday. There were two money orders of $950 each! I smelled a scam so I called the local police and they said if I had taken the MO's to the bank and cashed them and then sent the rest on to the mover, eventually the mo's would be discovered to be fraudulant and I would have been responsible for paying back all of that money. I only wanted $100 for the bed! The Sergeant I spoke with said that there are many of these scams going on and many on craigslist. You can bet I am going to be extra careful from now on.

That's a great reminder. When I'm selling on Craigslist I accept cash or Paypal - and Paypal only if the item is over $50. There are just too many slimeballs in the world.

Good on you for realizing it was a scam and calling the police!!

Thanks. Amazing how many ways people can find to cheat other people out of money or possessions.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    I hate hearing this. But you are so right. Scams everywhere :(
    I once saw some really fancy machine for an unreal low price that a poster told us about in her city.
    Guess what???? The SAME ad was in my city!!!

Blog Entries
    Yes there are "rip offs" all over the place.

I was delivered a fake (very authentic looking too) cashier's check by
    FED-EX in 2006 for the amount of $3000.00......can you believe this..., no kidding. It was from Sunchase Bank, so I went to see if it would cash at Wells Fargo Bank and WF denied the check, next (knowingly it was not real, but I wanted to see how far it would get) I went to another cashier place and the clerk called Sunchase bank, and there were no funds to back up the check.

When I got home, I personally called Sunchase bank and reported that it was a fraudulent check made out to my name and address, and delivered by FED-EX. I have no idea who sent it, who had my personal information, except that it was a special delivery.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    (2) $950 money orders to pay for (1) $100 item. Riiiiiiight!

It's just sad that some people fall for those scams. Glad you saw through it.

Blog Entries
    thanks for letting us know, we all need to be careful and not give out personal information

Aren't most of those scammers out of Nigeria...seems to me I read something about them coming from there...it used to happen on Ebay some. We have to watch everything now. The world we once knew no longer exists except in our own communities and families.

I've almost fallen for this same scam in a different kind of situation. Someone tried to pull this exact scam with us at work. Fortunately, my DH was on to him and we didn't get taken..

There are scammers in every city you can think. I know for a fact there are phone rooms that monitor Facebook. They hit in out of town Grandparents and Aunts/Uncles. All that personal fun stuff is used against you. Someone calls you think its grandchild...they know, nicknames, pet died last month, GP out playing golf...They've had accident and need $5000+ now to avoid jail. Some believable story to grandma/auntie with gs/gd/neice/nephew in out of town college. It happened to a friend of mine...a young retired computer executive...no dumbie. Her scammer made mistake of calling back a second time for more money and she decided to call kid's Dad...he needed to know what was going on. Well guess who answered the phone...yep grandson that was supposedly in jail. Mean, greedy people, I hate it!!

I use craigslist all the time and accept only CASH!! I also never, ever, meet with a buyer on my own. Hubby is always home or if it is a small item I meet at a public place.

That particular scam has been around for many years. Be careful. If it sounds too good to be true, it is.

Quote Originally Posted by KathyAire
    That particular scam has been around for many years. Be careful. If it sounds too good to be true, it is.
    Absolutely.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the reminder, that is an old scam

The policeman did say that many of the scammers were overseas.

Good for you for recognizing this scam. Had his greed not been so blatant he might have fooled you. Please be careful about having someone come to your home to purchase your bed. You should be sure to have someone with you, and maybe if you could put the bed in your garage you wouldn't have to let them into your home. I have become so cynical in my old age, but the world is not always kind.

Good for you, u picked up on a scam. Alot of people would have done what was ask. good job thanks for sharing

You have to be very careful.

When you list something on CL, if you make it impossible to reach you by email (phone # only) you eliminate 99% of the scammers. And they will pull this scam even on a $20 item!! unbelievable.

I use a Google Voice number so I don't give out my real number.

When I retire and have plenty of time on my hands (ha!!) I will spend all day luring the scammers in, sure send me those "money orders" -- hey it takes them some time and money to create and mail them - keep em busy. Then I will use them for wall paper.

I just bought my 301 from Craigs List...I made sure I didn't go to their home...they met me in the Hm Depot's parking lot for the exchange. I'm not going into anyone's hse...not taking any chances.

I had this happen to me,I was trying to sell the rolling carrier for a sewing machine. My son told me "mom this is a scam, be careful", so I had the money sent to his p.o. box, they sent 3 money orders for 999$ each, Just under 1000 is not a felony, blah blah blah, bottom line stay away from craigslist. never let anyone come to your home, meet them in public, & take a friend, hire a truck if you need to haul something, do not let them know where you live.

I had a similar situation, when I realised it was a scam I stopped responding.

Blog Entries
    Thats so sad ppl r like that'. Do unto to others!

community benefactor stitchofclass2's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    We have only purchased from Craig's list and both purchases went very well. It is so unfortunate that there are people who spend their time trying to scam other people. I really feel for the elderly because they can be easy targets. They are so trusting. I am glad that your experience did not end in disaster.

I recently checked out a truck for sale on craigslist. The seller said she was in Anchorage, Alaska and she would send me the truck for five days for me to check it out, then send her the money for it 'her way by instructions to be forwarded'. Sounded too good to be true - truck was non-existant, she was a scammer! BE CAREFUL out there - not everyone is as honest as we'd like them to be.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast