Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: completely forgot today was Easter

no kids in the house so no one to fix baskets for and it just completely went out of my mind till I got on here and saw all the happy Easters.

Blog Entries
    It just isn't the same without kids...my 25 year old just asked me "no egg hunt, ma?"

BMP
    Blog Entries
    No kids home here either, none of the holidays seem like holidays anymore.

Blog Entries
    No kids or grand kids near, so am fixing up three baskets for the new little girls next door, although it's not so much fun anymore.

Since the baskets get used once and then discarded, I went to the dollar store and got what was labeled "Mom's Totes". They are the size of a good large purse, each a different color and each have 3 pockets on the front. So with a bunny in each and candy filled plastic eggs all over them, they will be favorites of the cute little girls for quite some time.

Blog Entries
    Ramona great idea! With no kids at home your right. We've been learning to celebrate Passover. It's interesting!

Blog Entries
    No kids here anymore, either. I agree, holidays are just another day now.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    I'm alone and no kids either for most holidays. But this year I determined to enjoy what there was of the celebration.
    I noticed each little counrty church sign that announced an Egg Hunt and thought about the young kids laughing and shouting.
    I deliberately walked down the easter basket row at Walmart and the grocery store.
    I smiled over all the families' bunny and dress-up photos on Facebook.
    I chuckled at the plastic eggs someone on our long drive had hung from our mail box stand.
    I woke early for a personal prayer and worship time.
    And I went out to lunch at a crowed restaurant for Brunch this morning with my mother, sister, and niece.

A quite nice holiday season indeed. :)

Jan in VA

Guess it's just me feeling sad. First time kids not home for easter. We did Good Friday Service and then went to Church last night verses today. Catch myself tearing up. So does it get easier with each holiday without family? I sure hope so.

Banned
    no kids home either. I gave up having holiday dinners except xmas cause I thought maybe my two girls would have them...NO!

Guess they will be in for a surprise this Christmas when in November I will tell them that for the last 40 yrs we have had it and it is your turn. I bet they won't either. All have kids too!

If they don't, oh well.....Me, hubby, and "Bailey" the OES dog will have it by ourselves....and will relax!

I LOVE doing the Easter egg hunt.... my DD is 26 and she and her DH and my DH push & shove each other trying to find everything first....keeps you young! And tonight..their "finds" will be what they have for dessert after our dinner!

Blog Entries
    one way i've found to cut through the droops and blues of holidays that aren't what they used to be is to dig through the cobwebs and clutter of my brain to search out the memories most likely to make me smile again.

it doesn't seem logical to me that remembering the times i miss would make me less sad since the reason i'm sad is that i miss those times.

but ... when it works, i don't question it. i just take my smile and run. :-)

my favorite easter memory: i made my son his very first Easter basket. when he found it in the morning, he asked me why there wasn't one for me. so ... i explained that the Easter Bunny left the baskets for children. he thought that very unfair.

so, he went scrounging in a closet, found an empty basket, and put half of his into one for me.

and whaddya know ... here i sit with a tear in my eye and a silly grin on my face. :-)

who else has a memory to share with your fellow empty nesters?

Blog Entries
    No kids here either, just fur babies, hubby working.
    We did have a birthday today - My Gracie girl was 6 yrs old. :-)
    Her & Smokey had a special breafast & a Banana/Peanutbutter muffin snack ( made especially for them )

Blog Entries
    Time flies when youre quilting. Kids came home for easter so had to cook. uggh

community benefactor
    I guess I am very lucky. I moved to IA from MS after my husband passed away so I could be closer to my son & grandchildren. Spent Easter with them (they live 1 mile away). Told my grandchildren how when their dad was little how we hid Easter Eggs. I told them that after kids found their eggs, they hid them so the adults could find them. Well, guess what we did, kids hid the eggs. They had a great time and I think I restarted our family tradition with them.

Making 4 co-ordinating smocked dresses every Easter(and a smocked romper for DS)for many years.Why did I think I had to do this??
    Lining them all up before church for the Easter picture. trying to get the girls to keep the bonnets grandma always bought them ON their heads.
    Oh yes and the little white patent leather shoes that got scuffed before they got out the door. wouldn't trade those memories for anything

I got up at 6 and went to Sunrise Service. We watched the sun come up over the mountains and gave praise and thanks . Church service was great. Our bell choir played (I play high G and A.) Our choir sang (I try to sing soprano!) We had 422 in attendance--normally about 275. I ate lunch alone (but not lonely). Went with my youngest son to a friend's house for a cookout (I didn't eat there) Went back to church for AWANA at 5:30.. Happy Day!

ditto!!

Hi Hosta, things do change when are children grow up and move away so we don't see much of them anymore, doesn't it? Here is a special video that may pick you up.........it made me feel good. Hope you can see it.

Amazing Grace, Four Tenors in Coliseum in Rome

http://www.clarrissegill.com:80/videoclips/amazing_grace.php

Yesterday (Easter) was also my one and only child's, my daughter's, 31th birthday. She had went away with her boyfriend. So this holiday wasn't special for me at all.
    I wish I knew some kids that would of given anything for a basket. Same with Christmas. I know I can donate something but I want to know the kids so I could do something every once in a while, not just at the holidays. Maybe throw something in for the mom.

Blog Entries
    My 19 yr old bought me a basket this year. Was he tring to tell me something?

Blog Entries
    My husband has had a multitued of health problems since Dec 3rd. so we missed christmas and New Years. We were all together including my d x and her new man in her life. Kids 7,9,11,15,17,19. All blended for a very quiet holiday as they know how ill my husband still is. The blend of the ages were as usual remarkable. We had such a great egg hunt dinner.

Our 19 year old gd could have been killed in an accident 2 nights before and all she got was whip lash. WE are so grateful for her being with us.
    The talk was so amasing as they all spoke about how the last 4 1/2 months affected all of them,as mu husband has been very active in their lives, and how much my husband meant to them and how difficult things have been to see such an active man turn into a vegtable in 3 days.
    We all worked together to get to a day we could all celebrate together. My 19 year old gd said," these stories brought great joy and tears to each of us but we all realized none of us could be whole without each year other". How pround I am of her.
    The 17 and 19n year old gs bring comedy for his recovery. The little one's bring affection and warmth to his recovery. Daughter and son bring support for both of us.

These are all the GOOD eggs in our life. Happy Spring to everyone and to all new beginings.

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by PatriceJ
    one way i've found to cut through the droops and blues of holidays that aren't what they used to be is to dig through the cobwebs and clutter of my brain to search out the memories most likely to make me smile again.

it doesn't seem logical to me that remembering the times i miss would make me less sad since the reason i'm sad is that i miss those times.

but ... when it works, i don't question it. i just take my smile and run. :-)

my favorite easter memory: i made my son his very first Easter basket. when he found it in the morning, he asked me why there wasn't one for me. so ... i explained that the Easter Bunny left the baskets for children. he thought that very unfair.

so, he went scrounging in a closet, found an empty basket, and put half of his into one for me.

and whaddya know ... here i sit with a tear in my eye and a silly grin on my face. :-)

who else has a memory to share with your fellow empty nesters?
    That brought a few happy tears to my eyes, too.

I am trying to recover from losing long time friends...
    so I made a big bag of plastic eggs with wrapped candy in them for the little kids easter egg hunt nearby on Saturday.
    Went to church, but it made me sadder...

Quote Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
    Since the baskets get used once and then discarded...
    I hope it is not shocking to say here...my kids (oldest 21) have always had the same baskets every year since about the age of 3. No two alike...& since we always had a scavenger hunt to find the baskets...they all knew if they had found their own. Off-season all the plastic eggs, dipping things, supplies & baskets go in a tote in the attic; they've always been clean & good to go.

I applaud you finding some nice useful totes @ the $ store, I saw many recently myself with pockets. I love these little bags for so many school gift items, like the silent auctions...filled with popcorn/movie night stuff, etc.

Hope Easter will bring you joy next year!
    My mother is 78 & is always out & about more often than I...mostly busy @ her church as a Deacon...but she just "mothers" everyone older & younger around her. I wish we lived closer as my kids have missed a lot not having all the holidays with grandma & grandpa, as I did. I know we didn't have to be told to help our grandparents out...it just occurs to you as a young child that you are "needed". It was also the source of great self-esteem to know when you are helpful & productive. The youngest generation will largely miss a lot of the lessons as well as the self-worth that was gained by being close-knit with the elders. I miss them dearly @ all the holidays, especially!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast