Wash Day When You Grew Up

Old 02-22-2013, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
Yes helped with the wringer washer and hung the clothes on lines in the basement in the winter. In the summer we hung the clothes outside on the lines. We didn't get a clothes dryer until I was a teenager.
Yup, Ihelped my mother too. Even got my hand caught in the wringer right up to my armpit!!!!!!! I learned. Edie
Old 02-22-2013, 05:30 AM

Sounds very familiar. I think mom washed on Monday, remember the old song Monday wash day is everybody happy....She didn't get a dryer until all 3 girls were out of the house, that's probably when she and dad could finally afford some long desired items. She hung everything on either outside wash lines or in the basement. If we were very good we could sometimes help put things through the ringer, but under intense supervision because she didn't want us to get our hands pinched. I forget which day she ironed, but I remember she would heat my play iron with her iron and I got to iron dad's boxers! She ironed everything including sheets. Needless to say, in some ways I am not like mom!
Old 02-22-2013, 06:11 AM

I also like to hang my clothes outside. I have a drying rack that hangs on the patio. Occasionally if we have a little breeze I will find something floating in the pool, other than that no problems, no shrinkage and the whites actually look whiter. I live in Arizona so we have mostly sunny days. I do own a dryer that has a steam function so if anything needs to be softened like towels I toss it in for 3 minutes
Old 02-22-2013, 07:07 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

EllieGirl: OH my goodness that one brings back memories of Mom telling me to keep my hands away from the wringer part of the washer. I still hang clothes out on the line; more the bed linens than anything else. OH wait and the towels what a wonderful smell when you fold them after they are dry and you open them up use for after a shower... DH likes his jeans soft and smelly from the dryer .. LOL Gotta love dryer sheets ..
Old 02-22-2013, 07:23 AM

I'm another throw back. Just as soon as Spring winds start warming the area,my towels go outside,bed clothes too.
I love seeing the wash on clothes lines.The Amish in Ohio hang them out most of the year.

One of my fav memories is coming home when Mom was finishing the ironing & listening to "Stella Dallas or Young Dr Malone" on the radio.She usually made ham & beans on a busy day.....so the smells at home were like no others.Even tho I'm a Grma ,I miss her so much.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:42 AM
DJ

Originally Posted by EllieGirl View Post
Yesterday I was starching fabric while ironing and had a flash back to starching and laundry when I was growing up. We had a wringer washer and a tub behind it the water ran into. My mom kept a bucket of blue starch and I remember when I was six a little teddy bear I had fell into it. It was very stiff after that! Wash was done only once a week, I think on Thursdays. We didn't have heat in the basement but had a coal burning stove, one of those little black things with the door you put the coal into. Clothes were hung on clotheslines until I was about eight when we got a dryer. That was really big!
Are you my sister? I didn't know I had one.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:23 AM

Early in our marraige we were moving to a new house. My husband, the clown, picked up my ironing board and asked with a straight face, "What's this thing for?'' It was 1972. I still hardly ever iron anything on an ironing board but I iron on a pad on my countertops. I still have my ironing board though most of my ironing is done in the dryer. Oh yeah, I am old enough to have had my arm run through the wringer, although no harm done.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:46 AM

I was 8 when I ran my arm thru the ringer. Still remember the fear. I wasn't strong "enuff" to hit the release lever. Mom came in time. I still use a clothes line in the city. I just love the smell.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:00 AM
Power Poster

Oh my, those were the days....We also had a wringer washer with a tub in the back to rinse the clothes...My mom dryed them outdoors most of the time, even in the winter..She used a pop bottle with water to moisten them and
she put them into a big plastic bag and we ironed them the next day. For years my mom used an iron that she heated on the potbelly coal stove....There were ten of us she had to iron clothes for....Could you imagine that today. LOL.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:14 AM
Power Poster

my friend in England still lays her wash out onto the radiators inside to dry. she recently got a go around clothes line for the back yard though. that should help a lot.
speaking of ironing, my hubby's SIL from Wyoming irons handkerchiefs!! not me!!