Washing machine choices?

Old 10-07-2011, 04:17 AM

This is from Consumer Reports webpage--

If your appliance is eight or more years old, usually it makes sense to buy a new one. If you have a favorite high-end, older appliance, you may want to repair it. Consider replacing a newer model if it has been repair-prone. But skip any repair that costs more than half the price of a new product.

Although most readers' appliances weren't under warranty when they broke, if your equipment still is, you'll probably need to call a factory-authorized repair shop. Ninety-three percent of those respondents said their warranty or service contract was at least partially honored; 9 in 10 were offered a free repair.

If your large appliance is out of warranty, call an independent contractor. Most respondents found that they provided better service.
Old 10-07-2011, 04:36 AM

We just bought a Speed Queen washer,dryer set.I just love them so far.Top load ,no computers, just dials,and made in the USA.
Old 10-07-2011, 04:41 AM

Both DDs love their front loader machines. Know one can be stopped at anytime...it drains,then unlocks.Haven't used the other one, so can't comment.
My Maytag is around 20 yrs old & the only repair was when DH installed new drain hose. Gonna use it till it keels over .
Old 10-07-2011, 05:30 AM

I have had front loaders for past 20 yrs and love them. Just replaced my first set.
Old 10-07-2011, 05:34 AM

We like our LG front loader. It does have a rinse and spin cycle and if I want to soak I just use the pre-wash cycle and "pause" it for whatever soaking time I want.
Old 10-07-2011, 05:49 AM
Banned

Maytag still sells a very nice heavy duty one that will do what you want. It is not computerized. I avoided that as it's just one more thing to repair.
Old 10-07-2011, 07:33 AM

I have a fairly new set of Kenmore front loads. It has lots of features and I am still getting used to it. I am having problems getting the right brand of soap to use for dirtier work clothes, otherwise, I like it. They do take time to get used to. I paid $1400 for the pair.
Old 10-07-2011, 05:14 PM
Kas

My question is, if you can't get your clothes rinsed completely out with a high water use toploader, how are you going to get all the soap out with less water? I double rinse my clothes because the residue is irritating to my skin.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Kas
My question is, if you can't get your clothes rinsed completely out with a high water use toploader, how are you going to get all the soap out with less water? I double rinse my clothes because the residue is irritating to my skin.
Mine does a real good job and the clothes are a lot cleaner that they were with the old top loaders. But like I said I bought the top loaders 26 years ago when my wife and I got married along with my refrigerator and a few other appliances. I have replaced everything with new ones last year and this year and bought all top of the line that they had hoping that they will last like the last set did. Hopefully I will not have to buy any more before I kick the bucket but you never can tell..... At least that is what I am planning.

Billy
Old 10-08-2011, 09:13 AM

Thanks for all your input! Calling an 'independent' appliance repairman is a good idea, with the added bonus of giving someone in my area some work. If I have to buy another I will look into buying a used one. I just don't want a machine (computer) taking away my choices! We have way too much of that going on already!