Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Are we - as quilters - sometimes overly sensitive? >

Are we - as quilters - sometimes overly sensitive?

Are we - as quilters - sometimes overly sensitive?

Old 09-24-2017, 04:19 PM

yes, why is it that people who proudly tell you, "well I'm just someone who speaks their mind", never has anything good to say?
Old 09-24-2017, 04:22 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by huntannette View Post
You should make a quilt with those doilies. I have made a few so far...working on my fifth. Thy look amazing in a quilt!!! I have enough doilies for a couple more.
Please, please, please show us the quilts with doilies!
Old 09-25-2017, 02:46 AM

Sometimes I look at a quilt and think "what were you thinking", or even "you're showing THAT?" It's ok....people think the same about some of my items. Thank heavens the majority of us are too nice to say it out loud.
Old 09-25-2017, 04:18 AM

After a while we learn to stay away from people that make us uncomfortable. They are the way they are and we won't change them. I sometimes feel slighted when someone makes a comment that hurts but get over it fast. It's life.
Old 09-25-2017, 04:57 AM

I see many postings on the internet that makes me wonder if the person would actually say that if they were saying it in person, face-to-face. Wonder where our graciousness (is that a word?) has gone.
Old 09-25-2017, 04:59 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by AlvaStitcher View Post
I see many postings on the internet that makes me wonder if the person would actually say that if they were saying it in person, face-to-face. Wonder where our graciousness (is that a word?) has gone.
Ohhh that's a good point!!! I think a lot of people hide behind their computer screens and spew nastiness they never would have the nerve to do in person.
Old 09-25-2017, 05:38 AM

I know that when I give a quilt to someone, I want them to make me feel like I've given them the best gift they have ever received in their life. Do I get that response? Sometimes. Am I hurt when I don't? No. I'm very careful who I give quilts to as I know not all people like them.
Old 09-25-2017, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
Please, please, please show us the quilts with doilies!
I echo this! I would love to see some of your quilts. I have some doilies that I would like to use in quilts.
Old 09-25-2017, 06:31 AM

I like the idea of using your mom's doilies in a quilt. And would like to see some that have already been done. I know that lots of people do not like quilts "hard to believe" but true. I do not give many of mine away anymore and do not care if anyone likes them. Learned the hard way but did learn we are all different and like what we like.
Old 09-25-2017, 07:15 AM
mac

IMHO I think that some people are way to sensitive. Learning to be politically correct, I have had to learn a whole new language.

As one example, if a quilter asks you what you think of their quilt, I used to say, "Oh, that is really interesting," if I didn't want to hurt their feelings. Come to find out, using the word "interesting" in connection to a quilt is a code word among quilters for meaning 'that is the ugliest quilt I have ever seen.' Who knew? I thought I was being kind and instead I was being insulting.

I have come to find out, that when someone asks you what you think of their quilt, they really aren't asking for your opinion. They just want confirmation that they did a good job on the quilt. So now, matter what, I put a big smile on my face and say, "What a lovely quilt."