Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Are we - as quilters - sometimes overly sensitive? >

Are we - as quilters - sometimes overly sensitive?

Are we - as quilters - sometimes overly sensitive?

Old 09-24-2017, 06:16 AM
Power Poster

Default Are we - as quilters - sometimes overly sensitive?

I know that I sometimes allow myself to be hurt, annoyed, and/or angered by a comment someone has made.

But was the other person intentionally trying to be hurtful, irritating, and/or spiteful?

Sometimes the other person is - clueless - or thoughtless - or ignorant/uninformed.

And let's face it - not everyone (gasp!) is fond of quilted items. It's okay. We don't give quilted items to those people! I'm not crazy about crocheted doilies, but some people love to make them. In fact, I have a box full of them from my Mom's estate. But they are in a box - on a shelf - in the basement. Last time I looked at them was about five years ago.
Old 09-24-2017, 06:23 AM

Sometimes....but I don't think that is unusual. I think we as people are sometimes overly sensitive. I try not to be, but I am human. Sometimes I wait with baited breath for a positive response. But I also don't give items to folk who don't appreciate quilted items so I don't know why I worry!
Old 09-24-2017, 06:30 AM

I know I can be sensitive, not necessarily as a quilter, since I haven't given that many gifts so far. I am selective about who gets the things I make whether they are knit or sewn items.

Last edited by lots2do; 09-24-2017 at 06:41 AM.
Old 09-24-2017, 10:14 AM

One of my favorite sayings, "Never attribute to malice, that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

Applies to a lot of hurtful comments.
Old 09-24-2017, 12:11 PM

I think many people now a days are overly sensitive be it due to changes in upbringing ( everyone receives an award so all are winners), regional expectations ( the bluntness of East Coast people that so cal people find annoying), or changes in communication ( the need to be politically correct to be acceptable ). i must say it's tiring to have crucial conversations with people when one needs to think about the words one uses, the tone, inflection, and worst of all accent of ones speech. Lol
Old 09-24-2017, 12:15 PM

QTIP = Quit Taking It Personally. This has helped me a lot in many areas. Even if someone is being spiteful, I can't change them and don't have to buy into their stuff. I can just not take it personally and go on.
Old 09-24-2017, 12:47 PM

QTIP what a great mnemonic!
Old 09-24-2017, 01:18 PM
Power Poster

I try to think before I say anything. Can you imagine what this world would be like if we said everything we think? Yikes!
I'm not very sensitive as a rule, but that was not the case when I was younger. Maybe getting older has some benefits I'm not a bit sensitive about quilting though. Everyone has different taste. Your comment about crochet is one example. I've never liked it but I have an afghan my Aunt made me that I adore because she made it Actually it's quite pretty in blue and white. But that's one needlework I don't care for.
The trend towards being politically correct doesn't bother me a bit, although I know it bothers some people. I think we need to think before we say things sometimes.

Last edited by SusieQOH; 09-24-2017 at 01:21 PM.
Old 09-24-2017, 01:43 PM

You should make a quilt with those doilies. I have made a few so far...working on my fifth. Thy look amazing in a quilt!!! I have enough doilies for a couple more.
Old 09-24-2017, 03:09 PM

I think "politically correct" gets over-used with a negative connotation. How can trying to say things without being insensitive or rude while trying to be inclusive be a bad thing? Being direct and frank is a good thing. Being rude and hurtful is a bad thing. Often amazed at people that claim they are being the first, when they are being the second.