Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Weight Loss Challenge with a prize......Nov sign up >

Weight Loss Challenge with a prize......Nov sign up

Weight Loss Challenge with a prize......Nov sign up

Old 11-26-2010, 02:04 PM
Banned

My dad and favorite uncle died 2 months apart that first thanksgiving was hard.
Old 11-26-2010, 07:52 PM

Wow no ones around. I hope you are not all so full from Thanksgiving dinner that you are laying aroung moaning. I can't believe I ate all that. lol
Old 11-26-2010, 08:02 PM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

I don't know about anybody else but I was out most of the day shopping. I went to walmart at midnight got back home around 1:30am then I couldn't sleep. My little man decided to get up early and he has been fussy all day. Then after DH went to work we headed out with my DM for more shopping. I'm exhausted and ready for bed.
Old 11-26-2010, 08:08 PM

I guess you are tired Carrie. Theres nothing like getting to bed to late then having to get up early with kids. I'm glad I don't have to do that any more. Although it never happens as I can't stay up to late I get to tired. Just getting old I quess.
Old 11-26-2010, 08:08 PM

My kids are all grown and married with children.
Old 11-26-2010, 08:27 PM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

I wouldn't have went shopping on black Friday this year but the stuff my kids were wanting for Christmas was on sale at really good prices so I was able to get almost all they wanted. They had small lists this year which is good cause DH's bonus check this year was very small but I made it work.
Old 11-26-2010, 08:37 PM

I went bike riding, two hours to burn up the pumpkin bread and stuffing.

No money until after the 1st, so no shopping for me. I had the entire week off for Thanksgiving, but because of the economy, we had to take furlough days. Time off without pay. I was glad to have the time off. Spending time with family was more important.

I hope everyone had a good holiday.
Old 11-27-2010, 07:32 AM

Black Friday is that the day after Thanksgiving? We don't have that in Canada. I didn't know what people were talking about. lol
Old 11-27-2010, 07:57 AM

We have too many in my family for whom the economy has been really rough so we decided to really scale back on the buying and concentrate on the doing. My kids decided they could put their gift money into gasoline and each spend an evening at anothers home doing the 'family stuff'. I had to smile.

They spent the majority of Thanksgiving dividing up all those old family traditions we have and making dates to do them together. I believe we are making gingerbread houses here next Monday evening. They haven't all done this in years.

We hot glue graham crackers together and then use royal icing and candy to decorate them. It is usually quite the project and this year will be no exception. Margaret and Tony are sponsoring this activity as their gift to all the other kids. It will cost them around $50 for 15 people. There aren't any Black Friday bargains that will match the gift of 3-4 hours of family time...no way, no how.

I have decided to do Little Christmas. This is a Mexican dinner, pinata, La Posada, caroling and simple gift. This will be my time to give out the gifts I have for each person in the family. It is going to be a couple of days after Christmas so that everyone can be there. We are even having a video cam visit with Ben and his family. I think it will be nice to have a calm and focused time together instead of that hairied and frenzied time on Christmas. The dinner and party will run me about $100 at most when you include the pinata goodies. I can focus my energy on a special time together, and...we can all look nice and feel relaxed.
Old 11-27-2010, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by Gwyn
We have too many in my family for whom the economy has been really rough so we decided to really scale back on the buying and concentrate on the doing. My kids decided they could put their gift money into gasoline and each spend an evening at anothers home doing the 'family stuff'. I had to smile.

They spent the majority of Thanksgiving dividing up all those old family traditions we have and making dates to do them together. I believe we are making gingerbread houses here next Monday evening. They haven't all done this in years.

We hot glue graham crackers together and then use royal icing and candy to decorate them. It is usually quite the project and this year will be no exception. Margaret and Tony are sponsoring this activity as their gift to all the other kids. It will cost them around $50 for 15 people. There aren't any Black Friday bargains that will match the gift of 3-4 hours of family time...no way, no how.

I have decided to do Little Christmas. This is a Mexican dinner, pinata, La Posada, caroling and simple gift. This will be my time to give out the gifts I have for each person in the family. It is going to be a couple of days after Christmas so that everyone can be there. We are even having a video cam visit with Ben and his family. I think it will be nice to have a calm and focused time together instead of that hairied and frenzied time on Christmas. The dinner and party will run me about $100 at most when you include the pinata goodies. I can focus my energy on a special time together, and...we can all look nice and feel relaxed.
I absolutely LOVE your plans for Christmas! I am going to show this to mom to see if we can incorporate some of these ideas for our holidays. Thank you so much for sharing this with us!

Missy