Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Weight loss challenge with a prize.............Oct sign up >

Weight loss challenge with a prize.............Oct sign up

Weight loss challenge with a prize.............Oct sign up

Old 10-13-2010, 07:45 PM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

Originally Posted by dgrindey
Originally Posted by cjomomma
I'm trying to do my nightly workout and the motivation just isn't there. Seems like it is taking everything I got to get this done tonight. UGH!!!!! I think mentally this has been a hard week for me. The kids are on fall break and driving me nuts. Ofcourse there is the thing with DD losing her retainer and the bills. It seems like the price of everything has gone way up but our income is smaller. DH found out yesterday that where he works they are not gonna give raises this year to anyone but I bet the big wigs will get theirs. Sometimes I get so tired of living like this. I can't afford to buy new clothes for my kids when they need them. I don't even want to think about Christmas, it's hard enough at B-Days. Sorry I will stop whinning.
I don't even try to exercise at night because I am too tired. There are many people in this situation.

Although we are retired for several years, we are feeling the result of the economic problems in the grocery store, our utility bills, our taxes, etc. Your kids will be fine and will do well no matter the situation and you have the right to whine all you want! :) We have been there when our kids were growing up so I certainly understand your feelings. Don't stress over things you cannot control. I'll say a prayer for you and yours.
Thank you!! I need it.
Old 10-13-2010, 07:46 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by JanTx
I heard this in a sermon when I was a child and have remembered it ever since:
For every worry under the sun
There is a remedy or there is none
If there is one - seek till you find it
If there is none - then never mind it!

For some reason that has stuck with me and gives a bit of peace when I find my brain in a whirl. My dad was bipolar (manic-depressive back then) and I thought that little poem would cure him! That didn't work, but ... it has helped me over the years.
That is beautiful. Thank you
Old 10-13-2010, 07:48 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Leota
I'm trying to do my nightly workout and the motivation just isn't there. Seems like it is taking everything I got to get this done tonight. UGH!!!!! I think mentally this has been a hard week for me. The kids are on fall break and driving me nuts. Ofcourse there is the thing with DD losing her retainer and the bills. It seems like the price of everything has gone way up but our income is smaller. DH found out yesterday that where he works they are not gonna give raises this year to anyone but I bet the big wigs will get theirs. Sometimes I get so tired of living like this. I can't afford to buy new clothes for my kids when they need them. I don't even want to think about Christmas, it's hard enough at B-Days. Sorry I will stop whinning.
I understand where you are. Are you open for suggestions on how to beat the (op)pression/(de)pression/(re)pression????
1. Teach you kids to make their own clothes...simple pants, skirts, and shirts..
2. Hit the thrift stores/garage sales
3. Reassess the amount spent on BD and Christmas? Make the gifts.
Thank you for the suggestion. I do 2 of those 3 things already.
Old 10-13-2010, 09:10 PM

If you really want to lose weight and get healthy you can e-mail me. I am new to this site and am a quilter ~ just joined this week and a little late on the weight loss weigh in for Oct. I will do it in Nov. I lost 30lbs in 7 weeks and now at a total of 81 in 8 months ! It is so easy and my e-mail is [email protected].
Old 10-13-2010, 09:13 PM

ditto - I shop thrift stores and the goodwill; it seems like people really throw away good clothes so quickly. I can afford to spend a couple dollars on pants or a blouse. Field trips for B-days is another way to make the day special in trade so to speak for a gift -- and it could take almost all day in a park or nature area.
Old 10-13-2010, 09:21 PM

You can do it !
Old 10-14-2010, 02:45 AM

I have gone to the DAV and goodwill for fabric also
I understand where you are. Are you open for suggestions on how to beat the (op)pression/(de)pression/(re)pression????
1. Teach you kids to make their own clothes...simple pants, skirts, and shirts..
Old 10-14-2010, 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by JanTx
I heard this in a sermon when I was a child and have remembered it ever since:
For every worry under the sun
There is a remedy or there is none
If there is one - seek till you find it
If there is none - then never mind it!

For some reason that has stuck with me and gives a bit of peace when I find my brain in a whirl. My dad was bipolar (manic-depressive back then) and I thought that little poem would cure him! That didn't work, but ... it has helped me over the years.
This reminds me of the serentity prayer, that was my mom's favorite. I didn't know until after she died that there was a longer version.
God, grant us the...
Serenity to accept things we cannot change,
Courage to change the things we can, and the
Wisdom to know the difference
Patience for the things that take time
Appreciation for all that we have, and
Tolerance for those with different struggles
Freedom to live beyond the limitations of our past ways, the
Ability to feel your love for us and our love for each other and the
Strength to get up and try again even when we feel it is hopeless.
Old 10-14-2010, 04:30 AM

I had no idea about the rest of the serenity prayer - it is even more beautiful and encouraging! Thank you for sharing.
Old 10-14-2010, 05:03 AM

I am so sorry that things are tough right now.

The thing with exercise [for me, at least] is the motivation to do it doesn't come until AFTER you start doing it :( I know, I know, "How does one start without the motivation?" You just have to start even if you don't want to. After the first week it will get easier and soon you will want to do it.

Here is my advice [take it or leave it :) ];
1) Give yourself ONE MORE DAY to exercise at night. I would start with 5 minutes and add 5 minutes each night until you are where you want to be.
2) If you don't exercise at night you MUST do it in the morning.Set the alarm for 5 minutes early and do your exercise right away. Don't think about it, don't complain about it, just get up and do it. In the morning there is nothing you have to do since you got up 5 minutes early, so you have no excuse not to do it.
3) Within a week you should feel more motivation and it will get easier each day. Just don't stop for more than a fews days or the motivation will leave you again!

Good Luck!