Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What are the advantages of using Facebook? >

What are the advantages of using Facebook?

What are the advantages of using Facebook?

Old 11-28-2015, 08:02 PM

I am on FB, but seldom post anything -- just the occasional vacation scenery shot. BUT, I get to see my grands all the time as their mothers frequently post pics. They live far away and we get together only rarely so it is a treat to watch them grow up (we Skype, too.)

I was delighted when a cousin I had not seen in more than 50 years contacted me through FB.

I am not a conspiracy theorist nor an alarmist. I believe FB is a tool -- like many other things on the Web. It can be very useful and probably will not cause the fall of our civilization.
Old 11-29-2015, 03:09 PM

I started using Facebook about 5 years ago, solely because my kids were active on it and I wanted to see what all the fuss was about. It has proven to be a great way to keep in touch with family and friends while living abroad. I use security settings to limit who can see my posts and photos. And I enjoy being able to see updates on what my friends choose to share with me. It has helped me feel less isolated and homesick.
Old 11-30-2015, 07:13 AM

After years of being resistant to joining FB I finally just did. Mainly I can go on to the quilting groups, Accuquilt group etc. Then I discovered it is a good way to see what my adult children are up to since they log on everyday and I don't get to talk to them everyday, this way I can see if my son who travels to exotic places frequently is ok. My siblings are all on it as well as my mother, I think I am going to be happy with it to just stay in touch with family.
Old 11-30-2015, 04:17 PM

You can tailor your postings to just one person or a family group or friends group without everyone else seeing it. I like it as I go away for the winter and I get to see pictures of the grandkids and all the sewing projects my friends are making. I like sharing my projects too, but only with my quilting friends, not the whole group. Don't want to bore non quilters or have them ask me to make them one!!!!
Old 11-30-2015, 05:25 PM

I use it to keep in touch most of the time drives me crazy because ppl share way too much!!!