Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What are the advantages of using Facebook?

What are the advantages of using Facebook?

Hi,
    When I was teaching, we were discouraged from having Facebook pages. Now, I'm retired and have moved away. A few friends are pressuring me to get/make a Facebook page. What are the pros and cons in your experience? I am not a braggy or drama loving person. (Not to say that others are but I have heard of some horror stories).
    Thanks,
    lots2do

I have one Facebook page for keeping in touch with what family and friends are doing, I have one Facebook page for quilting. Every quilt shop, manufacturer, distributor, designer, and magazine has a Facebook page. Any deals or flash sales are posted on Facebook first. There are many specialty groups to read, like only hexies, or Bonnie Hunter's Mystery, etc. There is a group for just about everything you could be interested in. I only use my real info on my family Facebook, the other is fake.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Power Poster
    I have a Facebook page with a picture of my garden. I do not post about my life but maintain it so I can check in on my extended family. I like to keep my private life, private.

I don't know why anyone has real info on Facebook except for family only. I have the share set to only me and custom who can see my posts on my private page. Some friends and family can't see some family posts.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    I have a Facebook page with a picture of my garden. I do not post about my life but maintain it so I can check in on my extended family. I like to keep my private life, private.
    I totally agree, Tartan!!
    so many quilts to make, so little time.

I chose Facebook so I could see all the photos and what's happening with my grandkids. Also my son has been deployed to Afghanistan twice and it helps me not worry so much if I see what's happening with him. I have 3 Facebook friends..... yes that is sad. I'm not interested in keeping up with former co-workers so I don't Facebook them. There are photos of my quilts, garden, husband, wildlife, nature and things I bake.

I really prefer keeping a low profile on the internet so I have never join and don't plan to.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Blog Entries
    I did not want to join Facebook but my kids MADE me - they actually set me up with an account, etc. Now I absolutely LOVE it and check it every morning even before I check my email. I can keep up with my kids and my grandson. I also have a few other family members and friends and am now loving a niece that I really did not know because I have only seen her in person a few times. My kids set mine up with certain privacy features (I still do not know how to do it). I have found several old classmates that I have not seen in 50 years and it has been wonderful.
    Nikki in MO

Quote Originally Posted by lots2do View Post
    Hi,
    When I was teaching, we were discouraged from having Facebook pages. Now, I'm retired and have moved away. A few friends are pressuring me to get/make a Facebook page. What are the pros and cons in your experience? I am not a braggy or drama loving person. (Not to say that others are but I have heard of some horror stories).
    Thanks,
    lots2do
    There are a lot of hobby specific groups on Facebook, like sewing, painting, quilting, machine embroidery, etc. Several have become closed groups, meaning you need to be a member to post to the group, and only members can see the posts.

Some yahoo groups have become ghost towns because the members have moved over to the Facebook groups.
    Easy to post pics of your finished projects as well.

I have never had an interest in Facebook. I don't want everyone knowing my business. Even if I intent info for just one person, everyone else sees it. As for getting in contact with old school chums, if I have not talked to them in 45 years I was not close enough to wonder about them now

Quote Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
    I really prefer keeping a low profile on the internet so I have never join and don't plan to.
    Same with me!

Quote Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
    Ditto for me.....although, I'm sure there are ways to get my info without Facebook...but can't get paranoid about it..

I have no intention of 'doing' Facebook either. Hubs has an account and is somewhat active on it with only certain public activities in which he/we participate. Frankly, I kind of resent that I have no clue what is going on with some of my family because I don't 'do' Facebook. I refuse to be strong-armed into participating in something just to be able to keep up with family. If we're not all on the same schedule, I can shoot off an email with questions/updates and they can respond back. Or, heaven forbid, we can use the phone! The rest of the world does not need to know. Nothing on the internet is 'private' (including here and/or email). And, honestly, I don't need another online place to suck up more of my life than what I already participate in!

I also have a fake account. For all the same reasons mentioned above, although I tell my kids I am on the lamb or in witness protection. But I follow the custom fabric groups and independent sewing pattern groups on there. When the group gets drama filled, I leave the group.

One of my daughters called THIS site MY Facebook. Which might be true. I love seeing what everyone is stitching up, toys buying, patterns finding, lessons learned, patterns used, and tutorials followed. Ha!

I am on Facebook but limit it to friends only. I have a few friends and a few relatives that have access. It is easier to post pictures if I want and only they can see. Easier than individual emails. Facebook doesn't take the place of personal communication. It adds another level. Times are changing. I remember when our office got a FAX machine and I couldn't understand the need since we could type copies and mail. Or photocopy and mail. I'm sure people didn't trust electric lights or the telephone either. There are still people who resist a computer. Or a smart phone. Or even a cell phone. Luckily everyone can pick their level of involvement in the new technologies.
    Alyce

I have facebook and i love it.
    I have a great many friends from my many interests ( gardening, sewing, quilting, dogs,ect) all in one place. Some are internet friends that i have met in person and others i will probably never meet, but we get to know each other over the years from our posts and pics.
    I have found family that i have never met and some i haven't seen in a lot of years.
    Now, we gather to have a family picnic once a year as we all look forward to them very much.
    This year i started a FaceBook group to swap Christmas cards and we're all
    making or buying Christmas cards to send to each other. Sure beats getting bills out of the mailbox. LOL
    Yes, I know you can be watched from facebook, but i never click on anything to share my FB info or login via Fb using any other program.
    I also keep my privacy settings very strict. If you are on the internet at all, you are being watched.
    It's like anything else, there is good and bad points. I feel the good out weighs the bad tho.
    Last edited by Flowergurl; 11-25-2015 at 05:06 AM.

I set up a Facebook page because, like others, I wanted to keep in touch with cousins (lots of them on side) and close friends. All of us do not post often but I enjoy getting to "meet" their children, grandchildren and great-children. It certainly makes it easier to get a conversation going when we see on those rare occasions.

Since I joined, my circle of "friends" has expanded but I am selective in who I friend and I hit the "unfriend" button for anyone who has too much drama or politics in their posts.

I use facebook only for looking up bloggers from the Quilting and Sewing world I have many like pages to keep up what's going on and plus many bloggers are always running specials and contest from their facebook page. The only thing I don't like is when I accept "you" as a friend I don't want all your friends it became to much for me with all this stuff on my board that I deleted all boards and just have likes from bloggers. I do not accept anyone as friend. See how it works for you I like it.
    Vontina Collick

"If you can't fly then run, if you can't run then walk, if you can't walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward" -Dr. Martin L. King, Jr.

Blog Entries
    Last December my DIL helped me set up a Facebook page. It seems that's how most of the people I communicate with do it now. Email seems to be gone. I only post 'public' things that I don't care if anyone sees. For the whole year, I've maybe posted 5 things on my page.
    Some people post political things and others post any old thing that appeals to them from the internet. Those I scroll through quickly...a response isn't needed for everything posted.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

I was hesitant to start a Facebook profile since I'm not very computer literate, but I am very glad that I did. I even bought a book called Facebook for Dummies, but never needed it.

It's not possible to keep up with everyone that I care about any other way.

I get my news from there. When we had an earthquake, I found out within a few minutes that the epicenter was 80 miles away and could be felt from Canada to Georgia. A missionary that I was supporting in Bolivia knew about it too from Facebook.

I can keep up with my swing dancing friends, my skydiving friends, my relatives, my church friends, my school friends, etc. I don't post things often myself, but I love to see what is happening in other friend's lives, and it's sweet finding out about quilting deals.

I limited who can see my posts through the security settings. I would really miss it if I didn't have it.

I already spend too much time in front of the monitor. I'm sure I'd find tons of interesting things and ideas -but I'd have even less time to get them done!

I pretty much limit myself to a few internet forums, and even then it's easy to spend an hour or two a day online. I'm still working 40+ hours a week, once I'm retired I expect I'll expand my internet connections.
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

It's easy to not have any of your business on facebook, don't post any of it. LOL You don't have to post anything to be able to access pictures, groups, family members, sales, etc.

I don't like Facebook - I don't trust that company one bit.

Remember, if you're not paying...you're what's being sold.

We aren't paying anything here either...or lots of other places on the net.

Facebook

In my case I do genealogy in addition to quilting, and Facebook has developed into a great tool for that hobby. I have been able to download photos of relatives and their families with whom I communicate only occasionally. Some of the photos have been from Norway, and I am sure I would never have gotten them if we had to depend only on snail mail. I encourage you to try it. You are not required to post things once you set up an account. If you do not like it, you can always delete your account.
    Mary Jane Flikke

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast