Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What are the advantages of using Facebook?

I don't do facebook, twitter or any other "social media" sites, if I want/need to talk to someone, I'll call them on the phone or write them. I also don't text. I have a cell phone for emergencies and for work to get in touch with me, if I'm not home.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I only joined because of keeping up with family and few friends. I do belong to a few groups but only members are allowed.

I only check it occasionally for info on the grands. We have a problem with an overposting family member who has soured the whole experience for me. Her kids burp and she posts multiple pix. I also hate the posts if you don't like this in five minutes the world will end. Unfriended several people who constantly post this type of garbage. All in all I think it's a waste of time except for occasional family info.

Blog Entries
    Just like any thing in computer land you have to be smart. Use the same rules you would in your daily life. Don't open the door to strangers--don't air your dirty laundry in public--If you would not give your personal info over the phone don't do it on the computer. Parents please be diligent about checking what your kids are doing on the internet. This does not fall under the same category as their diary. No one see's or reads that-but our world is now open to every kind of nut beyond what our imaginations can fathom. For every horror story you've heard concerning kids and the internet their are thousands more that were not made public. The same rules of not getting into a car with a stranger or taking candy from a stranger apply more than ever on here.

I love Facebook. I get to see the kids, grand kids and even great grand kids and many nieces and nephews, pictures and information. Have reconnected with ex-husbands family who I was and am now close to. Just friended my brothers daughter I had seen or been in contact with for many years and got to catch up on pictures. Her younger son was in diapers last time I saw him and is now 18 and very handsome, as is his big brother. Got to see a bunch of pictures of my brother, who has a rare disease and cannot do much of any thing, has to be fed with feeding tube. He cannot even do remote on TV any more. For 5 years he has gone through so much and yet is so upbeat. Kari post alot about her dad and mom, and I have loved the pictures. I am in close contact with my SIL, a quilter, but not many pictures. Would not give it up.

ro
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    I don't really care for facebook. and I also like to keep a low profile; however, some websites require that you chatter. I guess it keeps the site goin.

Super Member citruscountyquilter's Avatar
    I love Facebook. I keep in touch with extended family, friends from years ago and former co-workers. It is a great way to stay in touch. I have some friends that will post everything and others just the important things. I pass over the political stuff - I have friends that couldn't be more conservative and others more liberal if they tried but that's fine. I don't have to share political or religious views with someone to be friends or relatives with them. My advice is don't put anything on Facebook that you don't want the world to know but otherwise have fun and stay in touch.

Blog Entries
    I have had a Facebook page since I learned to use a computer. I use it to keep up with friends and family who live too far away to visit, used it to help DH find his children lost to adoption without his consent, found a cousin no one knew about because he was adopted out and they told no one. I also use it to send warm thoughts, debate stupid things like red Starbucks cups, etc. I will tell you that before you get involved, that the games on Facebook are a trap. They force you to bug your friends, post for you as you, and just in general waste your time. Beware. They also demand all your private info, what sites you visit, all your contacts, and just in general annoy you and your friends. Now that you know what to avoid, have fun. Just do not post anything that shows your address or personal info, travel plans etc. criminals "troll" social sites looking for stupid people who post their vacation plans, location, birthday etc, so they can make you a victim. Give it a try, you can always delete it if it is not entertaining for you.
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

I use it mainly to keep connected with my family who live in many parts of the U.S.

I lived in Michigan for 6 years when I was between the ages of 8 and 14. Within a week of joining Facebook, I was out back in touch with 3 of my best friends from that time of my life! That alone has made it invaluable to me! I've also regained friendships with over 2p people from the very small college I went to in the mid-70's. The only people I'm friends with on there are people I know and family members. My privacy settings are set to only allow the people on my friends list to see them.

Donna

I saw this today and thought of this thread.

http://www.littlethings.com/betty-cl...ampaign=babies

Thank you all for your thoughts. I am leaning toward giving it a try...

FB is a gold mine for quilting or any other interests or hobbies you might have. I just finished participating in a block of the week from Primitive Gatherings and without FB, I wouldn't have been able to communicate with the other participants or read the questions and answers they posted, as well as their progress. Technology is here to stay and the more you learn and take part in, the more you can find out what's happening. There are literally millions of users on FB and I now have a friend in Romania, England, Scotland, Washington State, Canada and Costa Rica. You will miss so much if you pass on the opportunity to go on FB...and don't post your birthdate or any personal info, even if you think they want you to..it's not necessary. If you need any help just PM me.

Hi, Facebook is something that I haven't had time to think about yet, I receive three newsletters and that keeps me busy , besides the family keep in touch so at the minute I am happy.

Interesting thread...reading everyone's pros and cons! I "Facebook" daily. I was a slow starter, but as I went along, I got more into it. I keep things mostly private. I love all the interaction with friends and relatives, and connecting with old friends and high school classmates. Over the years I was a manager to many young women, and follow most of them on FB. I know everyone on my friend list...I don't accept requests from people I don't know. It's up to you to control your settings and privacy levels, how much you post, and what you like. It works for me!

I am on FB, but seldom post anything -- just the occasional vacation scenery shot. BUT, I get to see my grands all the time as their mothers frequently post pics. They live far away and we get together only rarely so it is a treat to watch them grow up (we Skype, too.)

I was delighted when a cousin I had not seen in more than 50 years contacted me through FB.

I am not a conspiracy theorist nor an alarmist. I believe FB is a tool -- like many other things on the Web. It can be very useful and probably will not cause the fall of our civilization.
    "Accomplishment is a consequence of effort" -- Michael Crichton

Blog Entries
    I started using Facebook about 5 years ago, solely because my kids were active on it and I wanted to see what all the fuss was about. It has proven to be a great way to keep in touch with family and friends while living abroad. I use security settings to limit who can see my posts and photos. And I enjoy being able to see updates on what my friends choose to share with me. It has helped me feel less isolated and homesick.
    Valerie

After years of being resistant to joining FB I finally just did. Mainly I can go on to the quilting groups, Accuquilt group etc. Then I discovered it is a good way to see what my adult children are up to since they log on everyday and I don't get to talk to them everyday, this way I can see if my son who travels to exotic places frequently is ok. My siblings are all on it as well as my mother, I think I am going to be happy with it to just stay in touch with family.
    Sandra

You can tailor your postings to just one person or a family group or friends group without everyone else seeing it. I like it as I go away for the winter and I get to see pictures of the grandkids and all the sewing projects my friends are making. I like sharing my projects too, but only with my quilting friends, not the whole group. Don't want to bore non quilters or have them ask me to make them one!!!!

Blog Entries
    I use it to keep in touch most of the time drives me crazy because ppl share way too much!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2