Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What to charge for a quilters caddy? >

What to charge for a quilters caddy?

What to charge for a quilters caddy?

Old 12-03-2012, 09:56 PM

I would have paid the 17.50 . then took off running , that is a cute caddie would you please tell me where to get the pattern . DottieBug
Old 12-04-2012, 06:38 AM

Thanks all. I'm not really making these to sell but to give away as gifts to friends who craft/ quilt. But since this person asked, I was willing to make her one in whatever colours she wanted for her daughter. But obviously didn't since she wouldn't pay what I thought was a fair amount. I'm funny that way - I'd rather give things away than sell them to strangers (or almost strangers) for a pittance.
The pattern is on the Fons and Porter site. http://www.fonsandporter.com/content...ters_Caddy.pdf
Old 12-04-2012, 10:52 AM

Very cute! I can relate to the selling or giving to strangers for a pittance. If I ever asked someone what the price would be, I'd better be able to pay what ever reasonable price they came up with! How ackward!

Last edited by SUZAG; 12-04-2012 at 10:58 AM.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:19 AM

Too bad your friend thinks big box is better than custom made! I agree- About $25. As quilters we wouldn't likely pay that since we could make one, but to non-quilters it's a steal! I was thinking it would be a great gift for corralling matchbox cars, Legos, craft supplies, crayons and coloring books, etc.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:32 AM

I love it and would like to make several for guilds Christmas exchange. What kinks did you work out? Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 12-06-2012, 06:36 AM

I found the pattern went together very well as listed. The only adjustment I had to make was to add 1' in height and deduct 1/2" in width of the two pieces and take a bit off the bottom piece, but those adjustments were to fit the buckets I could find locally. If you can get the Lowe's buckets, then the measurements were spot on. Also, chaulk is handy for marking the screening--fabric pencils did not work. The hardest thing was getting the wire handle back into the bucket after I put the trim on it. I ended up using pliers to open the hook a little bit, but not enough that it comes off.