Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What to charge for a quilters caddy?

What to charge for a quilters caddy?

I made a quilters caddy and an acquaintance said she'd like one for her daughter who sews. But I don't know what to charge. The inside bucket costs $2.75 and there is about 1/2 yard of fabric and 1/4 yard screening. Since I've gotten the bugs out of the pattern, I think it will take me a bit over an hour to make. What do you think of $15.00? Too much, too little?
    Name:  quilters caddy.jpg
Views: 1243
Size:  182.6 KB

Blog Entries
    I think $15 or even $20 would be ok. I love it by the way.
    Cheryl

Add up your material costs ... add in your time @ $/hour.

What's your per hour rate?

And of course, are you wanting to make a profit?
    Then add that in too.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Blog Entries
    it's a nice caddy... i'd say 25-30
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Add at least 10.00-15.00 to your material cost since you said it took an hour.
    Jean in MI

I would say $25.
    I have chosen to be happy because it is good for my health - Voltaire

Blog Entries
    If you sold them for $15.00 I think they would sell pretty fast....at 20.00 I would have to think twice...but that is me...of course they are worth more..but for me I would have to think if I really need it if I pay for anything over 20.00

Blog Entries
    Definitely worth more than $15!! Very nicely done!

Blog Entries
    Golly, you're probably gonna clear $3. Isn't that something. Can't make a profit because everything is so high. Barny

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Why not market it as the major retailers do.....at $19.95. Or $21.95. Or $26.95.
    They're awfully cute and useful!

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

Thank you. I split the difference and told the person $17.50 and told her there was around $6.00 of materials in it. She declined as it was too expensive and would look for something similar at Walmart.

Quote Originally Posted by Belfrybat View Post
    I made a quilters caddy and an acquaintance said she'd like one for her daughter who sews. But I don't know what to charge. The inside bucket costs $2.75 and there is about 1/2 yard of fabric and 1/4 yard screening. Since I've gotten the bugs out of the pattern, I think it will take me a bit over an hour to make. What do you think of $15.00? Too much, too little?
    Name:  quilters caddy.jpg
Views: 1243
Size:  182.6 KB
    You also have a thread and seambinding to add into your cost...these sell for anywhere from$20 - $25. Please don't undercharge...this is an acquaintance not your BFF...and she may want more.
    Tink's Mom (My name is really Susie)

Blog Entries
    She will find the "flimsy" caddy/bag at WM (if she's lucky) and it will cost her between $8-$10, but each to his/her own. Maybe she has a budgeted amount for the gift.

But don't sell too cheap; this is a "craft show worthy item", not a big box store item.

I agree $15.00 would move them pretty easy. Don't undercut yourself though. Your time is valuable and people will pay if they really want them, even at $17.50-$20. There are also people who want something for nothing, so gotta be careful.

Blog Entries
    I think you can easily sells these at $20.00. It is both attractive & useful. A definate YES from me
    Patski
    always learning

Three times what it cost to make it. Include any petrol for shopping money as well.
    You are undermining the craft and your labour if you don't charge the correct amount.People have to be fair.

Blog Entries
    Jan I was just thinking the same thing. I know when I did craft shows, I always had $5.75 when people say the # in their head wow it's less than $6. Some items I put a dollar over the top of something and than tell the customer I'll take another dollar off, they loved the bargin. Or Buy one buck at $18.75 and get the second one for $ 16.
    I sold alot, I did volume, lower price more sells. Don't know if anyone agrees with my thinking, but it sure worked for me.

I think it makes a difference where you live. I live in a small area with alot of quilters. I can sell a purse for $20 using Joann fabrics with coupons. I send them to a big city and a friend of mine can sell them for $40. I guess I feel different then some. I can only make so many quilts for family so if I get my material and a little for my time(I would be sewing anyway) Then I am happy.

Every year we have a fundraiser at our church we call Grandma's Cupboard. We sell a variety of handmade and homemade goods and every year, the coordinator of it plays "What would you pay?" getting our input on what different things should cost. Personally I hate this game. But I think $15-20 would be a good price range for this cute caddy
    Who needs therapy? I quilt!

[QUOTE=Belfrybat;5691404]I made a quilters caddy and an acquaintance said she'd like one for her daughter who sews.

I've found that prices depend on the area you are in. Around where I live people tend to be..I don't want to say cheap...ok..less inclinded to spend their money. I'd say $10 to $15. Go less than 50 miles to the beach area and you could probably get $40 to $50...maybe more.

Blog Entries
    Well! I never... All sarcasm aside, I can't believe she was too frugal to spend $17.50 on her daughter for such a well made caddy! What quality does she really think she's going to get from WM?

I agree with a lot of previous posts. Most people love a bargain. (Your price was certainly a bargain). Whenever I have garage sales, I price things higher than what I really expect to get for them. That way in case a true bargain hunter (like me) wants to barter...we are both happy. I sell it at the price I really wanted and the customer is happy thinking they got a bargain! I know that I've priced my items too low when no one asks to barter.

She was nuts though! She could've gotten a personally made quilter's caddy for an amazing price! Too bad for her and all the drama! It does look nice though! Nice finished project!
    Go forth and sew!

Quote Originally Posted by orangeroom View Post
    Well! I never... All sarcasm aside, I can't believe she was too frugal to spend $17.50 on her daughter for such a well made caddy! What quality does she really think she's going to get from WM?

I agree with a lot of previous posts. Most people love a bargain. (Your price was certainly a bargain). Whenever I have garage sales, I price things higher than what I really expect to get for them. That way in case a true bargain hunter (like me) wants to barter...we are both happy. I sell it at the price I really wanted and the customer is happy thinking they got a bargain! I know that I've priced my items too low when no one asks to barter.

She was nuts though! She could've gotten a personally made quilter's caddy for an amazing price! Too bad for her and all the drama! It does look nice though! Nice finished project!
    I agree.It is a well made beautiful caddy.your price is reasonable.Some people just do not understand handcrafted is way better than cheap mass produced imported cr-p.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/Upnorthcrafter

I've made the same caddy and I wouldn't sell it for less than $20.
    gmaybee

Blog Entries
    I would say $20 minimum. I like it and I'd pay that. Very pretty and neat. GREAT JOB!

No less then $20.
    Anna Quilts

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast