Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What is the cheapest thing you do? >

What is the cheapest thing you do?

What is the cheapest thing you do?

Old 01-30-2011, 09:18 PM

This is great. I think my kids need to see it also.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:07 PM

wow i am so impressed
Old 01-31-2011, 04:17 AM

I am so glad to know I am not the only one that washes out ziploc bags.
Old 01-31-2011, 12:44 PM

When I run out of coffee filters I use paper towels. It doesn't taste any different.
Every spring when I start my garden I have saved milk containers. I cut the tops off the top to place over the plants to protect them from chilly nights.

I don't care for tap water.So what I do is boil it.It taste wonderful. After it cools you will see all the sediment(rust) at the bottom of the pot. Fresh and clean water is the best!

Buy in bulk...can can sales. We love left overs. I will make a dinner that last for at least 2 dinners. And it taste better the 2nd time around too. Do bulk shopping at Costo's and it goes a long way!
Old 01-31-2011, 03:51 PM

I will only buy clothes from the clearance rack at Walmart, or second hand stores, unless I make them. The only allowable exception is work clothes for DH. He works outside, and takes Coumadin, so I spend what I need to so that I know he is always warm.
I also buy cheap, dry, pet food and mix in a small container of dry premium, to keep them healthy, and happy.
I also use cheap paper plates (with a holder) to keep energy costs down (dishwasher), then use them to feed the dogs, which makes their food smell like ours!
If we use a paper towel to dry our clean hands, we reuse it over and over.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:39 AM
lgc

Originally Posted by valinwa
this is a bad one, my DH puts holes in sox faster than I can buy them, so I put them on turned around so the hole is on top of my foot, and I wear them around the house like slippers, they're kinda big so I turn the cuff down. Needless to say I am looking for ways to use old worn sox, any ideas? I have bags full. They're all white short crew sox.
I have a basket full of socks waiting for a new use. I had wondered if I could use them to stuff a pillow, or something to put in front of the windows to cut the draft.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by renee765
When the kids were little, after they were asleep in their beds, I'd mix up a half gallon of powdered milk and add it to a half gallon of regular milk. I always put it in a gallon milk jug, and they never knew.
LOL... yep... I did this too.. and the kids ( or DH) had no clue.. I also used to buy a couple of boxes of " name brand " dry cereal... then again at night.. refill those boxes with the off brand version...... Kids are not in their 30's and was complaining about how expensive cereal and milk are.. and their kids will not eat off brand.... I told them the truth and they stood there with their mouths having open..... The proceed to tell me how they can't believe I lied to them like that... give me a break..... u ate didnt u?>?????? "Brand name " being better is usually a state of mind!
Old 02-01-2011, 07:32 AM

Location: Once an Iowan, always an Iowan, but now suburban Chicagoland

Originally Posted by bluteddi
Originally Posted by renee765
When the kids were little, after they were asleep in their beds, I'd mix up a half gallon of powdered milk and add it to a half gallon of regular milk. I always put it in a gallon milk jug, and they never knew.
LOL... yep... I did this too.. and the kids ( or DH) had no clue.. I also used to buy a couple of boxes of " name brand " dry cereal... then again at night.. refill those boxes with the off brand version...... Kids are not in their 30's and was complaining about how expensive cereal and milk are.. and their kids will not eat off brand.... I told them the truth and they stood there with their mouths having open..... The proceed to tell me how they can't believe I lied to them like that... give me a break..... u ate didnt u?>?????? "Brand name " being better is usually a state of mind!
Love, love, love it...me too! My kids who would not shop at a certain low cost store when living at home, now tell me what great prices they get there on their food.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:51 AM

Old clean socks make great dust cloths. You can put then over your hand and get in more
Old 02-01-2011, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by harrishs
This year for Christmas, I made drawstring bags of different sizes from scraps and leftover ribbon----for gift bags----can use inexpensive fabric or some "ugly" (if there is such a thing) We plan to use them year after year----so much easier than wraping and no waste----
I did this when the kids were little.... I noticed under their tree... those same bags being used now with their kids.....