Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What did you do with your wedding dress? >

What did you do with your wedding dress?

What did you do with your wedding dress?

Old 05-30-2010, 04:12 PM

Mine is in the closet and still pretty good shape after 28 years. We used some of the lace (all around the bottom and across the shoulders) on my daughters First Communion dress. She also wore the veil (a little saucer style with veil off the back). Maybe we'll use some of it at her wedding (whenever that is!).
Old 05-30-2010, 07:42 PM

see below
Old 05-30-2010, 07:43 PM

my first one I made and it was just below the knee. It was white satin with lace overlay and sleeves made in lace and it was knee length. After first husband died, I gave it to a charity. My second was a very victorian high neck, long sleeve off white dress with lace insert in the upper chest area and lace on the end of the sleeves and around the bottom and the bustle in the back. It was being stored in my mother in laws best friends home in a cedar closet for years until they had a water pipe break and flooded their basement. My mother in law went over to help her clean things out and whent hey opened the zippered protector it was in, it has mold on it. So my mother in law decided to throw it in the washing machine which totally shredded the basic part of the dress. When she gave it to me I was devasted but was able to cut the heavy lace off all of it and save it though. But all in all I have been lucky--the marriage has lasted 35 years and he was my highschool sweetheart
Old 05-31-2010, 06:43 AM

HI MY WEDDING DRESS IS STILL HANGING IN THE CLOSET
WAS MARRIED IN DEC. 1965.
Old 05-31-2010, 08:17 AM

My wedding gown is in a box down in our basement. On our 25th, I took it out and tried it on, still fit. Won't now though. We've been married 36 years, 3 boys, 4 grandsons, new grandbaby due in October. Not sure why I'm keeping it, but I can't bring myself to get rid of it. High lace neck, long sleeves, empire waist, also had a matching veil with long train. Not really my taste, I like simple styles, but my mom is all about show, she picked it and since she and dad were paying, oh well. I was only 18, pregnant with our first, just wanted to get married and live with my darling.
Old 05-31-2010, 08:24 AM

Oh, and forgot to say thank you to all for some ideas on what to do with it. I couldn't think of any possibilities til I read this post. Even with all boys, I can find something to do with it.
Old 05-31-2010, 08:33 AM
Banned

My daughter wants to sell both her wedding gowns. I wish she would keep the one from her second wedding. I'd like to use the colors from her wedding and make them a wall hanging even though the colors are no where in their house. They will be married 5 years in 2011, so I have time to work on that as I wanted it for their 5th anni.
Old 05-31-2010, 08:34 AM

I borrowed a gown but purchased the most beautiful cathedral length veil, which was a first in my home church so it was very, very special. I keep it in an acid-free heirloom box in my closet. Two of my girls have worn it. Now I'm hoping at least one of my four granddaughters will wear it again someday. Also still have the piece that was on my wedding cake and five people have used it. I used it on my cake for our 25th anniversary party and am glad I saved it. I love the idea of using the fabric for a christening gown. The hankie idea is great too. If you have girls (or daughter-in-laws) it would be a beautiful gift for "something old" for their wedding.That makes me wish I had my dress.
Old 05-31-2010, 10:28 AM

Loaned mine to DIL; found it wadded up in a pile when the hotel asked us to clear out their stuff the next day. Gave it to DIL; 4 yrs later they divorced; wedding dress gone. Still got the same hubby though; wouldn't loan or give him away! 48 yrs this month. Gosh, he's getting old!
Old 05-31-2010, 03:23 PM

I remade mine into a formal for lodge degree work. Made a blouse out of the train. Finally threw the veil away.