What to do with quilt

Old 06-28-2020, 11:33 AM

It is You the quilt is meaningful to, why not keep it yourself? Thinking our special things will be treasured by others is a bit of a fools errand.
Old 06-28-2020, 04:02 PM
Power Poster

Penny, I absolutely love the story behind the quilt. Wow!
I agree with the others to document it. As for who gets it I have no idea, maybe as the grands grow up you'll know who will cherish it.
One of my sons is super sentimental, much more than I ever thought when he was growing up. I've seen things at his house that they had as children, like special spoons I sent away for with their names on them, stuff like that. I found a mug that has a lot of meaning and it made me smile to see that he cares about such things.
So you just never know
Old 06-30-2020, 03:21 AM

Penny, your quilt story is precious. Do label or write up a paper to keep with that quilt. It will find it's way to the right hands when the day comes. What a blessing to have your mother live to such an impressive age! My fil took a quilt to the assisted living apt. with him that I'd made a couple of years earlier for him. He is gone now, and the quilt is back in my possession. These mean so much to us, as they were made out of love. Keep enjoying the warm, fuzzy memories!
Old 07-06-2020, 07:37 AM

I love this story. My husband and I both appreciate things of days gone by. Fortunately ( or unfortunately)all 3 of our kids do, as well. I once Hand stitched 2 fairly large porch scenes in counted cross stitch. One 11 x 14 other 16 x 20- one child said I needed to do a third so they would all get one.... someone asked at our 50 th anniversary party if I was making 2 more of the quilt I made my husband for the occasion. They said with all the history embroidered on, all 3 kids would want it. You can see it in my albums here on Quilting Board. It has all dh siblings, parents, grandparents & dob and all mine too. All our kids, grands, greats. When & where we married, how we spent vacation with kids, 1 st apartment, etc -when & where army Served-when both baptized- a lot of info embroidered. Needless to say, one of a kind.
i hope you find the right person. Sometimes even strangers appreciate more than family. I bought some handwork cheap and was heartbroken that others didn’t appreciate the love & labor gone into it. Another time I was gifted something from someone’s dh old aunt. They didn’t want the tablecloths bc they were yellowed and dingy. After I Oxiclean them I think she would have liked them back! Beautifully hand stitched. It’s on One of my small tables now.