what to do

Old 01-23-2014, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by angelarose View Post
I had no idea what a fifth wheel was until I read your post. I wonder where they got that term. I'll have to Google it. Thanks for speaking up! Good lord, it's cold!
Hi Angelarose, a 5 wheel is called that because they have two axels and the front hooks into a big clamp thing on the bed of the truck (5th wheel) and part of trailer is over bed of truck, usually a bedroom or storage, instead of hitch out the back.
They are usually big and some have sliders, walls that move out and make it bigger than it is going down the road. You can tell when you see slight breaks in the side of the trailer. My cousin has one with 3 sliders and it is very roomy. My brother and SIL lived in one for over 10 years traveling US in winter and Canada in the summer. He lives in Canada, is now bed ridden much of the time so I am glad he got in what he did.
Old 01-23-2014, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by linda701 View Post
Went to florida for winter, staying in a fifth wheel and made a big mistake. I didn't bring my sewing machine or any crafty things to do. I feel lost without it. Lots of activities here to do but not ones I am interested in doing. Don't know anyone and my husband doesn't want to do anything but watch fox news. Need some ideas of what to do. Thank you in advance for any replys.
Where are you in Florida? I am 40 miles SW of Ocala.
Carol
Old 01-23-2014, 03:05 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by janjj View Post
I began doing Hairpin Lace ...........
My goodness, I have not heard of this for eons. My mom used to do Hairpin Lace with fine crochet cotton. Her "loom" was heavy wire, bent to the size she wanted. Wish I had some of her work now.
Old 01-23-2014, 03:10 PM

You could always get a pair of scissors and cut out 4 or 5inch blocks and make a handpieced quilt. I made a big one while sitting with my friend. It's fun.
Old 01-23-2014, 03:26 PM

I am confused ... how were you planning on spending your time? I am assuming you are staying in a snowbird RV park, and these parks revolve around their activities. You participate, you meet people. Once you meet some people then they introduce you to other people, and so it snowballs (excuse the pun). Most snowbirds are so busy, they like to return home for some down time. Yes, get the essentials for one of your hobbies BUT you really need to participate in some of those "lots of activities". I believe you will be surprised, you might discover a new interest but more importantly you WILL meet new people.
Old 01-23-2014, 05:58 PM

I agree with all the above.. If you have an "I" phone, there is an APP that will search Quilt shops near your location! Branch out on your own, let DH watch T.V. and go out and do what you like best.... hit the quilt shops, fondle and smell the fabrics, talk to the staff, find out what their shop is promoting for classes.... and the list goes on.. Last year DH and I were stuck in Fresno for month since our MH needed a new part that had to be MADE to fit our MH. I found the coolest quilt shop in Clovis. Paradise Quilt shop! There is a group of ladies there who meet once a month making donation quilts for the local nursing homes for Christmas presents. Last year, I walked in and somebody grabbed me and said "I am not sewing today so you can use MY machine!" Wahoo! I made the coolest quilt top all from donated fabric, made a bunch of new friends, got to spend the day sewing and spent some $$. AH Heaven... Fast forward --- We happened to be in Fresno just 2 weeks ago visiting family. My DH says "Ya wanna go to that quilt shop?" He didn't have to ask twice... The parking lot was packed so I thought they must be having a class. I was surprised to walk in to find the same ladies as last year- quilting. The lady in charge looked @ me and said "HEY I have a thank you note for you!" I had mailed her my finished quilt from home. She had lost my address and said she was hoping I would show up this year. So, again, I sat with the ladies and helped make some more beautiful quilts for the local nursing homes. Ahhhhhhhh. it felt so gooooood... I felt like I was home... Hope this inspires you to GET OUT THERE and do what you like best (hey! it may not even be Quilting) Best wishes for a wonderful warm winter......
Old 01-23-2014, 07:15 PM

Never go anywhere without mine. Set a table under the awning and sew, sew, sew.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:01 PM

Go to the nearest Walmart and buy a cheap brother mechanical machine. After that, you know what to do!

I have one that I keep in our home in NJ for when I am visiting. We live in SC, but spend a good part of the summer in NJ. It has 12 basic stitches, works like a champ and only cost me around $75. My previous machine (also a Brother but computerized with a bunch of stitches) fell on it's head during transport from NJ back to SC, and never sewed again. I replaced it, of course, but will not take the replacement machine on a road trip for obvious reasons.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:07 PM

I ask this kindly.. but what is it with men? watching Fox News... or like mine, takes the computer and spends more time online than at home? May as well stay at home if you're still just going to sit inside and do the same old things. I never go anywhere without something to do. .. I'd be crazy. So I generally have at least 2 tote bags, one with books and quilt magazines.. the other with projects.. I've been making a Catherdral Window quilt for several years.. I only work on it when we're driving. I've also got a nice Mola that always gets a few more areas done when we are traveling. Go prepared, that's my rule! But this time just go buy yourself something you want to do... Buying a project that interests you is much cheaper than a good counselor! and better for you than liquor!! :-)
Old 01-24-2014, 04:28 AM

Good grief, go shopping for a new machine (the heck with used!) and get busy! Join a local guild, take a class. We have a condo in the Northwoods and I pack my stuff!! My DH likes his solitude and goes fishing. No thanks! I sew! I hit the local quilt shop. I BUY! Stick me "up nawth"? I shop!
Sandy

Last edited by Sandygirl; 01-24-2014 at 04:32 AM.