What to do with.....

Old 04-06-2018, 05:26 PM

The egg cartons are handy if you save the buttons from shirts cut up for scrappy quilts. Each compartment can hold the buttons from one shirt.
Old 04-06-2018, 06:41 PM

The big plastic covers for pies are just perfect under my outside plants. I live in sunny California so the sun dries my potted plants quickly and these help keep the water from running. I know that they sell these bases for pots but why spend.??? I seldom buy packaged fruits, salads or veggies.
Old 04-06-2018, 08:39 PM

The very large ones for cookies are great for keeping quilt fabric together and holding finished blocks. The kitchen person at church saves them for our quilting group.
Old 04-07-2018, 03:16 AM

I save all the lids and use them for various templates and recycle the bottoms. I also save them to send leftovers home with visitors that might come over for dinner, etc.
Old 04-07-2018, 04:50 AM
Administrator

if they resemble the type sold in stores under various brand names, i donate mine to goodwill.
some i use to store notions.
i pack my tote like an old fashioned "tupperware" lunch box.
pins, pens, machine accessories ... anything small or that ends up otherwise all over the place and too hard to find.
Old 04-07-2018, 08:36 AM

I saved a few, they took up too much room and were too flimsy. I store my buttons in old metal containers or old attractive jars.
Old 04-07-2018, 09:02 AM

I use them to keep small parts of quilt projects together in one place. For example, a UFO that was gifted to me would end up in a large clear container with all it's parts and the directions.
I also use them to hold leaders and enders projects, keeping the different parts together. And I always make the smaller HST's when doing snowballing, and I collect them all in one of these containers until one day when I will make a scrappy quilt using all these HSTs.

Last edited by wildyard; 04-07-2018 at 09:05 AM.
Old 04-07-2018, 09:14 AM

I save the large, see-through egg cartons and store my valdani threads in them...perfect fit and I can see what's there through the cover.
Old 04-07-2018, 09:17 AM

I may have to look closer at them in the future. I currently recycle them all. I find them too flimsy, not of uniform shape, and lack storage space to house them! DS's and DIL and I use the same type of containers so we're constantly sending leftovers in "like" containers. I did like the idea of using the smaller ones as individual gift holders. That's a really cute idea!
Old 04-07-2018, 09:54 AM

I like to freeze one serving meals, and I don't eat a lot, so I use the smallest that hold about a cup for that. The ones that hold the one pound of sandwich meats in, I wash carefully and then use to hold coffee grounds, catsup packages, tartar sauce packages, candy or whatever. I do like them to nest so I can see what is inside. I use one of the 1 pound in my sewing room for my long arm bobbins. I bought a hundred. The other different size ones are for sending home with someone for food or for my brother-in-law who never seems to have any. I have used the larger ones for projects, but usually those I buy because I want sturdy. If they can't go through the dishwasher, then they are thrown away.