What to do with.....

Old 04-06-2018, 05:40 AM

Default What to do with.....

..the clear plastic containers that so many things are being sold in at grocery stores - cookies, produce, etc. I have several of different sizes, depths, that I know can be repurposed, but mind is drawing a blank. I do know when I put them into recycling bin trash I will regret it......do you use for something...can you share?
Old 04-06-2018, 05:48 AM

Sometimes I used them to hold fabric, either as blocks or as pieces cut to make blocks, if the container is a suitable size.
Old 04-06-2018, 06:03 AM

Really anything,

Store Buttons, Ribbons, Lace, Different size pre-cuts.

Use them to start plant seed. (Just put little holes in the bottom for drainage.)

I can't wait to see all the suggestions you get from this question. Quilty people are so creative.
Old 04-06-2018, 06:03 AM

If you can not find a use for them you could offer them to a local school.
Old 04-06-2018, 06:09 AM
Power Poster

Bonnie Hunter just posted today about her plastic containers for her precuts.
Old 04-06-2018, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
Bonnie Hunter just posted today about her plastic containers for her precuts.
tried finding on her site...way too much there, can you give me hint..id like to check out her ideas
Old 04-06-2018, 06:37 AM
Power Poster

i used the sandwich/small salad size to hold machine accessories and write the name on the top. that way, i can see what's inside for that machine
Old 04-06-2018, 07:05 AM

The very small ones usually get pitched. In others I have sewing supplies, accessories and and what I call ettcetteras, say as for my slant 301. They are also large enough to add the 5"X7"machine manuals plus a rotary cutter and a few marking pens. I can see what is inside without dumping everything out.
The ones that have individual servings of dessert and are shaped like jello molds are great for putting gifts in before wrapping. My favorite are these turned with flat side on bottom with a bit of Easter Basket excelsior like a nest, then a spool of thread with a small chicken pincushion on top and I have a chicken that has just laid a spool of thread.
At a sewing retreat, I was given some larger containers that had held greens for salads.
There are times when my frugal nature overwhelms me with what can turn into junk and I do have to ditch some of the treasures. Once washed and air dryed, I drop them into large plastic garbage sacks and hang off the side of the wheeled metal shelving units, using an S-hook to hold the bag.
I also save egg cartons and pass them on to families that raise chickens.

Sewing groups and Diabetes education and cooking classes are usually held in churches, where you can see a drawer or shelf devoted to the plastic containers that can be used to carry home left-overs. That is where I drop off the margarine, butter, yogurt, sour cream, etc. plastic containers after they have been washed well and are dry, just have to remember to include the lids.

Last edited by elnan; 04-06-2018 at 07:13 AM. Reason: another thought re re-cycling.
Old 04-06-2018, 08:26 AM

The medium/larger containers I use to take cookies whenever I will never see the container again and the cookies will be eaten that day because I don't think they are very air tight. Anything that has held meat/chicken, I wash and recycle.
Old 04-06-2018, 08:44 AM
Power Poster

I use the containers to: hold bobbins, feet, etc. for each machine, for 1.5" and 2.5" squares, keep small paper-pieced blocks together, and crumb blocks/fabrics.