Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What to do with wooden spools? >

What to do with wooden spools?

What to do with wooden spools?

Old 05-26-2012, 03:12 PM

That's a great idea, I checked the link... sooo cute
Old 05-26-2012, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by buckeyegirl View Post
I have several dozen wooden spools and haven't been able to come with a creative way to use/display them. Any suggestions?
Hi my mother used to crochet round circles out of strips of netting, crochet two of them together over the spoon head, stuff a little more netting in the hollow part leaving a string long enough to tie at the base and use them for back scratchers or back washers in the shower. She made one for every employee at the assisted living place the year before she passed.. They all loved them. My friends keep after me to make them some new ones They are a little work. tisha
Old 05-26-2012, 06:24 PM

I saw in cracker barrel once where some had been strung together into a little doll for a decoration. Very cute.
Old 05-26-2012, 07:12 PM

Here's a cute idea that was for sale on Etsy. I saved the link, hoping one day to make one of these for my sewing room...hasn't happened yet.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/63255837...rder=&includes[0]=tags&includes[1]=title&filter[0]=handmade
Old 05-26-2012, 08:05 PM

I would certainly be willing to take them off your hands. We can trade, I can purchase (if price is right). Please pm me. I also collect selvedges if anyone has some.

Thank you.

Originally Posted by burchquilts View Post
I guess it depends on how big they are. I saw a really cute idea where you took the small-ish one & put them in a canning jar. Then they took a clear kinda flower pot-looking votive holder in the top & put a candle in it. Does that make any sense? It was really cute! Or you could just get a nice basket & put them in it.
Old 05-27-2012, 02:06 AM

You could paint the spools different colors and use them for drawer handle. That would be very cute in a sewing room.
Old 05-27-2012, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by tesspug View Post
I saw a cute post somewhere. They had wrapped a strip of fabric around the spools and then strung them together for a garland.
Cute idea! But in my sewing room it would be just one more place for dust and lint to settle. I think I could handle the jar idea better. Ive got spools of thread in clear glass canisters that we received as a wedding gift in 1962. Also have some in those neat glass jars with the glass top attached with a metal wire. I just look around and find things that aren't being used anymore and repurpose them. I like things with lids so the dust and lint doesn't settle on the thread. I'd rather dust off the lids.
Old 05-28-2012, 05:37 PM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

hmm my crafty mind kicks in with make necklaces with the small ones on a leather strap or even earrings. IF they are wooden-paint em, then string em on a leather cord. Cute gifts for teens who sew ! The larger ones put them in a large vase as a display or in a picture frame box style.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:52 PM

I use thin gold ribbon and run it through the hole and tie it in a bow and hang from a small Christmas tree in my sewing room.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:08 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

As my DD just said she would take some 1" ribbon and put a few spools on them after painting them then a clear sealant and make a garland.