What do you all think

Old 04-27-2010, 05:50 AM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

Because of buget cuts to education My DH won't receive a pell grant for the next year of college. He only has 3 semesters left, so close and yet so far away. He had worked to hard to stop now. If we had money it wouldn't be a problem, but being poor with 3 kids makes it really tough. As a family we have sacrificed so he could get this done and hopefully get us out of the poor house. So here is what I was thinking of doing if I can find the time.
I'm thinking of making a bunch of quilt tops and selling them to help with the cost, but I'm not sure what to charge. Any ideas would be appreciated. Remember I am still learning to have straight lines.
Do any of you think this could actually help or would I be wasting my time?

Thank you
Carrie
Old 04-27-2010, 05:59 AM

I think it's a good idea. Find out if there are any craft fairs in the area and then get sewing. There are lots of patterns that use just straight lines. Be creative with your fabric colors. Best of luck to you!
Old 04-27-2010, 06:08 AM

I think hubby needs to talk to the financial aid people at his school and see what else is out there. Actually, this is the 1st year my kids have qualified for pell grants, so have somebody review your fafsa and be sure you didn't oops something!! Good luck!!
Old 04-27-2010, 06:09 AM

do things that seem to be in style.. like the pink john deer and the camo and stuff like that. Of course charge for materials.. but I don't know how to charge for labor.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:09 AM

also check and see what they might be going for on ebay. Or maybe a small store near you might carry them for a small percentage.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:14 AM
Banned

Quilt tops is one option. How about also doing table runners, small wall hangings and such that are completed. Baby quilts or baby quilt tops, as well as the larger tops.
I agree with seeking other options financially for dh's college funds.
Check out all options you may have. Being that close to a degree you can't quit now!

Wishing you the best and praying that all works out.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:22 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by mommaB
I think hubby needs to talk to the financial aid people at his school and see what else is out there. Actually, this is the 1st year my kids have qualified for pell grants, so have somebody review your fafsa and be sure you didn't oops something!! Good luck!!
He got his letter back and itcsaid that he qualifies for the pell grant but that due to budget cuts their isn't enough money left. He has class this morning so after class he is going to financial aid office to see if there is anything else he can do or get like grants. Praying and keeping my fingers crossed
Old 04-27-2010, 06:26 AM
Power Poster

Thank you for the ideas. I am sure it will work out but until then I can't help but to worry.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:29 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by QuiltingGrannie
Quilt tops is one option. How about also doing table runners, small wall hangings and such that are completed. Baby quilts or baby quilt tops, as well as the larger tops.
I agree with seeking other options financially for dh's college funds.
Check out all options you may have. Being that close to a degree you can't quit now!

Wishing you the best and praying that all works out.
I like the idea of doing baby quilts, they are fast and easy. I know I could make many just from my stash alone.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:31 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by FunkyMonkey
do things that seem to be in style.. like the pink john deer and the camo and stuff like that. Of course charge for materials.. but I don't know how to charge for labor.
I know I could do camo too. My daughter went thru a camo stage so i have lots of camo fabric. Thank you