What do you buy online?

Old 08-07-2011, 11:04 AM

I've seen a lot of posters saying that they buy fabric online and many that they buy from their LQS to keep them in business.

The reality is, it seems more and more people buy more and more online, at the expense of their local retailers who aren't getting that business. I know I've been guilty at times.

So, what do you buy online? And what do you use the internet to research, but would never buy anywhere but locally? Not just talking sewing... I mean anything you purchase online -- clothing, computers, tv, appliances, etc.....

(BTW- I bought some fabric from my LQS yesterday - for the record! lol)
Old 08-07-2011, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by nance-ell
I've seen a lot of posters saying that they buy fabric online and many that they buy from their LQS to keep them in business.

The reality is, it seems more and more people buy more and more online, at the expense of their local retailers who aren't getting that business. I know I've been guilty at times.

So, what do you buy online? And what do you use the internet to research, but would never buy anywhere but locally? Not just talking sewing... I mean anything you purchase online -- clothing, computers, tv, appliances, etc.....

(BTW- I bought some fabric from my LQS yesterday - for the record! lol)
Mostly quilt patterns that are different, material on here, books from book swap site things of that sort. My neighbor bought a Porche online, ebay and flew from FL to TX to pick it up. Had troubles with it driving it back home had to have repairs made. It sat in the side yard (looked like I owned it too) for few years where he polished it and worked on it. Then a few months ago he sold it and bought another one to work on, this time locally. Still sits on the side yard next to my drive way so I get the questions about my car?? LOL
Old 08-07-2011, 11:10 AM

I buy online because most of the time the prices are better and I'm lazy :oops: I mostly use online when buying in bulk because most times screen colors don't match the actual fabric (at least for me) and when it doesn't it becomes part of my stash for a future quilt. I mostly go to my LQS when I want something specific--like a matching border or binding.
Old 08-07-2011, 11:23 AM

I really don't like shopping, except at the fabric store of course. The thing I wouldn't buy on line is shoes, I want to try them on first.
Old 08-07-2011, 11:26 AM

I'm fine with buying fabric in person. I honestly don't chew through it the way some here do (I hand-quilt and I only do one quilt at a time, so I'm only making a small handful per year). If I'm looking for a specific color scheme or design, I'll buy it online, but part of the draw for me is going to the store, pulling out bolts, putting them together, and chatting with the shop assistants.

One thing I buy almost exclusively online is running gear. That stuff is expensive and most of the places to get that stuff around here are big-box stores--so they're not really hurting for my money.
Old 08-07-2011, 11:27 AM

I buy most of my faric online. The reason is because of the price. Even with shipping it is less expensive. I have rarely been disappointed in my purchases. Notions are often cheaper online. I buy my ink for my printer online. My husband shoes from "shoes for crews", and his parts for his 64 chevy!
Old 08-07-2011, 11:47 AM

I do buy fabric on line when I can't get what I need at the fabric stores. If I need bise tape, lace, patterns and so forth, I have to get on line cause you can't find any of that stuff in town. It is so hard to buy if you sew other than quilts.
Old 08-07-2011, 11:50 AM

I get my vitamins etc. online - prices are way cheaper. I don't buy a lot of stuff online or offline, besides the necessities.
I did buy my laptop on ebay and one for a neighbor (her money). Whenever I need anything I check ebay.
Oh and I get all my shipping supplies online.
Old 08-07-2011, 11:51 AM

Batting, 108" backing.
I prefer to buy fabric in person. I compare colors in natural light to make sure - monitors are not trustworthy enough for me.
Old 08-07-2011, 11:52 AM

Mostly make my purchases online... bad back makes shopping in stores difficult, and I'm very glad that I have access to stores online...

I use to love shopping, too..... but now, it's great to have UPS pull up in the driveway. Plus I usually have forgot what I ordered, so it's like Christmas when a delivery comes..lol