Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you collect ~ besides fabric

What do you collect ~ besides fabric

Hi fellow quilters,
    I collect vintage Raggedy Ann & Andy dolls, Mary's Moo Moo's figurines and unusual rocks. What do you collect ? Besides fabric of course.
    Next to God we are indebted to women, first for life itself, and then for making it worth having.

Christian Nestell Bovee,

All manner of things...books, skulls (not real ones), good crystal, vases, anything vintage and unusual, obsessed about chairs and furniture but am kept in check by my husband, mirrors, art, anything that can be put on the wall. Outside....plants, plants and plants, and pots, plus any overflow from the house that will withstand the weather and look "sculptural" (well to me anyway). Only the amount of pets the law allows ....otherwise I'd have a petting zoo. There's probably more, but that's all I can think of just now.

Books - both reading and crafting, baskets, yarn (waiting on me to crochet into something!), sheet music for the piano and organ, music for listening to. Looking at my house, you'd think I collect junk, but I use most of it, and if I don't, I just haven't found time to clean it out! At least that's my story, and I'm sticking to it!
    A happy person is not a person in a certain set of circumstances, but rather a person with a certain set of attitudes. ~Hugh Downs
    Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns.I am thankful that thorns have roses.~Allophones Karr
    “The happiest people I know are those who lose themselves in the service of others." — Gordon B Hinckley

"It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop." ~ Confucius

Blog Entries
    Cookbooks and recipes- once in a while I might even try out a new recipe. And I love dishes but have way too many. MY DH collects motorcycles.
    'He cannot be a gentleman which loveth not a dog' -John Northbrooke
    Try to be as nice a person as your dog thinks you are.

Blog Entries
    Omb Patterns! Decorative thimbles.Nutcrackers.

Blog Entries
    I collect Barbie Dolls. I started in 1988 when the first Holiday Barbie came out. I purchase the Holiday Barbie every year and others that I find that are unique. I have a set of 4 seasons Barbie's, the Gone With the Wind series. Several Bride Barbies, Birthday Barbies. Lets just say I have a lot, over 100.
    I have them all on display.

My house collects dust.........

Blog Entries
    Critters! I have more of those than any other one thing. But I do love vintage dishes, footed etched bowls, little sectioned dishes, spoon holders, anything that is cute that will add charm to my table or buffet when friends are here. I recently acquired a set of 4 jade-ware mixing bowls for a steal, I still feel bad for getting them so cheap from a yard sale, but I love them.

Blog Entries
    I responded before I saw Woodster's response, love it - I should have said my house collects dog hair!

Blog Entries
    This is a fun thread - need to see pictures. I love vintage (anything) pictures, lamps, ceramic figurines, mini tea pots and cups, display plates, crystal and glass candle holders with various style chimney.

Doris

Quote Originally Posted by Woodster View Post
    Amen to that! Serious response: unusual "sewing" items ( tea pots, music boxes, special pincushions, etc.)

Vintage “People-powered” tools and equipment that have a hand crank or treadle. Mostly sewing machines, but I’m also putting together a collection of stand-alone bobbin winders, grinders (meat, grain, metal, knife), drills (hand & brace), can openers, and pencil sharpeners. I have a rope maker, a ranch wall-mount telephone, & a portable wind-up phonograph with records. I think I still have a crank ice cream maker, but I haven’t seen it for a while. I like things that are hand or foot operated.

CD in Oklahoma
    "I sew, I sew, so it's off to work I go!!!"
    ThayerRags Fabric Center
    http://thayerrags.com/

Peppers. My mom's nickname was pepper and after she died, I started collecting them. Also collect angels, snowmen and santas.

LOL I burst out laughing so dose mine

Blog Entries
    Anything ELVIS!!! My home is an annex of Graceland.

Blog Entries
    I love Hammered Aluminum. It is so usable and "collectabley" cheap. Depression Glass, Milk Glass, and I use it all the time. No use in having it if I don't use it!

Chintz Ware
    which is almost impossible to find anymore unless you want to spend big bucks.

Vintage table cloths. I love old stuff. My whole house if furnished with 2nd hand shop and yard sale finds.

I don't limit my collecting to any thing or era specific stuff, If something catches my eye and the price is good, it is mine!

peace

EDIT: @ post # 8: oh! jade ware, love it.
    Last edited by ube quilting; 03-15-2014 at 04:45 AM.
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

dd
    Lions. No not live ones.lol
    Blessed are the quilters, for they are the piecemakers.

I love it!!!!! My house collects dust too because i'm too busy doing other things, but I do collect books, sewing notions, kitchen gadgets, and baskets...most of which are in use...

I'm a sucker for dishes! I love things to set a pretty table. And pitchers.

I collect Santa's and St. Paddy's Day things. I try and display my Irish things once a year. Have quite a bit ..Two china cabinets filled. One with Irish Santa's and the other with St. Paddy's figurines. My Santa's are all over the house at Christmas.

Blog Entries
    I used to love Mary Moo Moos. But because of downsizing, I now have to sell them all. I have decided to let someone else enjoy even the most unusual of them all. So now, I only will have only dust bunnies and fabric to collect. Sa the dust bunnies are not nearly as cute as Mary Moo Moos
    http://signatures.mylivesignature.com/54489/296/CCA9C6060E1181152CA095EAA3495414.png[/img]

I collect Boyd's bears resin pieces, I have stuffed bears from all over the world, salt & pepper shakers and pink glass. The house is full, so it is a good thing Boyds have stopped making their resin bears. Can only find them at resale shops now. Ande like a lot of other quilters, my house collects dust.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    My house collects dust and dog hair. My dog Brutus collects fabric scraps and threads. DH collects shot glasses. I also collect key chains from airports where family and friends have traveled. I also have some with sewing/quilting notions attached. I have a key chain that is with me all the time with a measuring tape. I give those kinds of key chains to my friends also who like to sew or just need a measuring tape at some time.

Paperweights, oriental pieces,rooster things,cat statuary, Jim shore figures, pin cushions,odd stemware, depression glass, have displayed a few vignettes at local library...they do a monthly display case for anyone interested.......and the sad thing...when I am gone the stuff will be garage-saled, but I had fun collecting,dusting it!

Blog Entries
    I'm with you Woodster...you can write your name in the dust...just don't leave the date!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast