Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
what do you do with the turkey neck and giblets? >

what do you do with the turkey neck and giblets?

what do you do with the turkey neck and giblets?

Old 05-05-2010, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
okay - i will boil the neck, gizzard and TWO hearts until ?

Sorry about seeming retarded about this - the bird I just put it in the oven and let it bake. (I did put it in a roasting pan first)
boil it until it is very tender! The neck and hearts will get done first, the gizzard takes a little longer to get tender.
Old 05-05-2010, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by JJs
Boil the neck and you have turkey stock - for soup or the gravy or the stuffing (I do NOT like stuffing in the bird - too much bloody mess)
I clean all that out before baking.
Old 05-05-2010, 11:57 AM

Those are things are ugly, nasty guts. I don't want them in my gravy, dressing or anything else so I put them right where they belong---in the garbage. Just my opinion of course.....
Old 05-05-2010, 11:58 AM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

My Mom always boils them and either uses them in the dressing or dumplins. She wastes nothing but the bones.
Old 05-05-2010, 12:00 PM
Power Poster

Do not boil!! SIMMER. There is an old saying "A stew boiled is a stew spoiled". I don't know if that is true but i never boil anything to make soups, stocks or stews. I put it in a pot bring it up to a boil as soon as it bubbles I reduce heat cover and simmer. Usually for a couple of hours. I like to add carrots onion and celery to the pot so my stock has extra good flavor. I use it in the gravy
Old 05-05-2010, 12:05 PM

I actually think the neck is the best part of the bird. I put it in the bottom of the roasting pan when I put the bird in to bake. It gets all the drippings and tastes just wonderful. I don't usually eat it at the table if we have company because it is rather a messy eat, but I sure eat it when noone is watching.

The giblets I boil, cut up the heart and liver and put them in the dressing/stuffing (throw away the gizzard as it is too hard to cut up and eat, would give it to the dog if I had one). Then use the water I boiled them in to add to the dressing.
Old 05-05-2010, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by raptureready
Those are things are ugly, nasty guts. I don't want them in my gravy, dressing or anything else so I put them right where they belong---in the garbage. Just my opinion of course.....
I agree
Old 05-05-2010, 12:08 PM

I simmer them, too. I leave the liver until just before - maybe an hour before I'm ready to make the gravy. That way it won't be so tough. At that time, I take the neck and giblets out so they'll be cool enough to work with. The giblets will need to have the out skin taken off (it's tough) and the neck is stripped of the meat. then when I'm ready, I add seasonings if needed and a mix of cornstarch and water to the broth. Sometimes I add more chicken broth. After I have the broth thickened, I add back the meats. They aren't YUCKY --- They're YUMMMY!
Old 05-05-2010, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic
Do not boil!! SIMMER. There is an old saying "A stew boiled is a stew spoiled". I don't know if that is true but i never boil anything to make soups, stocks or stews. I put it in a pot bring it up to a boil as soon as it bubbles I reduce heat cover and simmer. Usually for a couple of hours. I like to add carrots onion and celery to the pot so my stock has extra good flavor. I use it in the gravy
I think most of us use the word boil/simmer interchangerbly. I totally agree to bring to a boil and then turn down and simmer for a couple of hours. :-) :-) :thumbup:
Old 05-05-2010, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by sandybeach
I actually think the neck is the best part of the bird. I put it in the bottom of the roasting pan when I put the bird in to bake. It gets all the drippings and tastes just wonderful. I don't usually eat it at the table if we have company because it is rather a messy eat, but I sure eat it when noone is watching.

The giblets I boil, cut up the heart and liver and put them in the dressing/stuffing (throw away the gizzard as it is too hard to cut up and eat, would give it to the dog if I had one). Then use the water I boiled them in to add to the dressing.
The gizzards just take longer to get tender. Try "simmering" them longer than the neck and heart, you'll see--tasty!