What do you do when....

Old 05-26-2011, 04:55 PM

I would tell that that it makes you happy and "if mom is happy, then everyone else can be too"... My kids check my shelves whenever they stop over to see if the piles have gone down any LOL
Old 05-26-2011, 05:00 PM

tell them you will get rid of your fabric when they get rid of their games, or computers. what ever they have that makes them happy. It makes me upset to even think about one of my kids trying to get me to get rid of my stash. They have never said a thing about any of my crafts, Even when they had to eat off tv trays because the table had my sewing machine on it for 2 weeks at a time.
Old 05-26-2011, 05:00 PM

Ksue don't listen to them, we are productive with our fabric. Think about all that we have done for them in their lives. Remember when they would not listen to US.
Don't think they want to be mean but they should stay out of your hobby. Quilting gives us more than satisfaction; it is better to buy and love fabric than to turn to drink or pills.
If my DD ever told me I had too much of anything I would remind her of how my life was devoted to raising her and I sacrificed the things I loved and wanted so she could have all that she had. so now its my turn.

When my DH saw me in the closet trying to find another inch of space he emptied his closet in he computer room and put up more shelves for me.

And I have a 1/4 of the fabric of some of the quilters
Old 05-26-2011, 05:10 PM
Power Poster

I raised my kids and It's my turn now! I know that sounds selfish but most of my quilts are given away. I enjoy the whole process as well as the giving. My DH or D sons best not say anything. They all love the quilts I've given them and I'm happy:)
Old 05-26-2011, 05:14 PM

If anyone...Husband, kids, brothers, cousins, aunt, friends, anyone! dared try to complain about my hobby supplies....

I would tell them it was none of their business and that it was not a topic open for discussion.

Done. Period.
Old 05-26-2011, 05:15 PM

You're not alone. My daughter keeps telling me that when they have to clean out the house, they are going to have $1.00/bag sales. I keep telling them to just call in the quilt guild!
KSue...I used to live near Trop & Eastern. Sure do miss LV!
Old 05-26-2011, 05:23 PM

Did you ever ask them what's wrong with having their mother be happy? There are lots of hobbies that aren't creative and have nothing to show for the time you put into it (like golfing?) but with quilting, you have a beautiful finished product made with lots of love. Your kids should be happy that you are happy and shouldn't be hard on you.
Old 05-26-2011, 05:25 PM

#1 its not there problem! its your life! and if it makes YOU happy Thats Great. They don't have to look at IT so just SHUTT UP!! AT your Age you should have the right to DO as YOU Please!!!! 8-)
I know that at MY age I've sure got the right to do what I want!!
Old 05-26-2011, 05:44 PM
Power Poster

If it makes you happy don't listen to them. I'm so lucky.....my kids first words when coming home on my days off are.....Mom, did you get to sew today? They know I'm a happier person for it so their lives are happier too.
Old 05-26-2011, 05:51 PM

If Mom ain't happy, they ain't gonna be happy either. :-)