What do you do when....

Old 05-27-2011, 06:23 AM

Unless your kids are purchasing your fabric, sorry ain't none of their business. Whoever said that just because we have children we are not entitled to have anything that pleases us or makes us happy? I worked hard for my family for 35 years, giving them things that they would not have had if I hadn't worked. Now it is my time. Not like I am jetting around the world or buying big expensive cars or fur coats. I enjoy a very humble hobby that gives me pleasure and when I give a quilted project to someone, hopefully, I have made another person happy. I have a sister that feels if she spends a dollar on herself she must in turn spend a hundred dollars on the kids. Just don't understand. I don't tell my kids how to spend their money and if they don't like my hobby, they keep it to themselves. Enjoy your stash, you deserve it and much more!!!
Old 05-27-2011, 06:25 AM

Tell them you are an adult and it is none of their beeswax! lol
Old 05-27-2011, 07:08 AM

I would quickly tell them it is none of their business as long as they are not paying for it! Go get some more.......don't get rid of any!
Old 05-27-2011, 07:08 AM

When they move out they wont have to look at it, in fact, take their room for a sewing room. LOL My guess is they are teenagers and just need something to be grumpy about, and moms are a target most of the time. You don't need to explain, but I have found that telling them that "when your mature, you will understand" that usually quiets them down. don't feel bad about a wonderful craft. Dee
Old 05-27-2011, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by KSue
your kids complain about all of the fabric I have. I honestly don't have that much fabric. I mean compared to some of the stashes I have seen here. It makes me want to just get rid of all of it and say ---okay it's all gone, now you don't have to keep preaching about it. I just don't know why my kids can't let me happy in my own little world. Just a thought!
I don't know how old they are, or what their specific complaint is, but I don't see how it's any of their business. What is their problem? I'm sure they have their passions in life, and you don't harp at them about it, right? Sounds like they need to focus more on their own contribution to improving this world, and leave yours alone. Don't let them bully you into getting rid of anything.
Old 05-27-2011, 07:17 AM

I'm sorry they don't understand. Please try to continue finding joy in what you do. Maybe if you tell them very clearly how sad they are making you, they will back off.
Old 05-27-2011, 07:39 AM

tell them you are at home, safe and happy. Not running around bar hopping and chasing younger men. LOL!! I tell everyone, I am a fabricholic, not an acholholic.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:01 AM

QuiltnCowgirl said it all. When my DH or recently my BIL and SIL asked when the store opened for business I told them I plan on using every inch of it if I have to live to be 150 years old. I do not understand why people feel they have to say unkind things about my stash. It makes me happy and they sure are happy when they are the recipients of things I make for them.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:09 AM

Just tell them you are spending their inheritance!
Old 05-27-2011, 08:10 AM

Why do they care? Tell them to MYOB!