Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What do you do when...

What do you do when...

...your husband comes into the room and asks you what frogs eat and then tells you that there's a live frog in your upstairs toilet.

And that it was there before you left to visit family a month ago? I am sure he didn't tell me because I would have demanded that he catch it and release it into the wild before we left.

Darned if I know. I'm wondering how it even got there, and how we will get it out!

Theory: One of my grands ingested a tadpole or frog egg while playing before they came for Thanksgiving, and made a 'deposit' in the toilet. The upstairs bathroom isn't used to often, so if it survived a flushing or two, it could grow and mature.

Anyone have a better theory?

Maybe it's a new species of frog - Toilet Frog.
    A quilt is like a good life. It's full of mistakes, but, in the end, it looks pretty good.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Yike, yike, yikeeeee!!! Any theory is scary! One can only assume he is living on any bacteria in there......probably now the cleanest toilet in town!

All I could say is, GET RID OF IT!!!!!
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

He is hopping out if the lid is left open and getting back in. Use a fish net and get him and put in the nearest ditch. Digestive juices would have killed the tadpole/egg. Frogs hibernate so can go a long time without food.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

OnebyOne - I didn't realize that frogs hibernated. I probably learned that in school back in the dark ages, and thenm forgot it. That explains how it survived for at least a month.

A little research can be enlightening! Per google searches, it's likely a tree frog. It seeems that they can hop from a tree onto a roof. There's a toilet vent on the roof, it's uncovered - they have to be or the could become clogged with leaves, etc. So apparently frogs can just fall in. We do have tree frogs around and I have seen them in action on the side of my house, so that is probably what happened.

I had visions of snakes or rats coming through the pipes. Ugh - for three reasons, we'd have to find the break in the pipes, we'd have to fix it, and we'd have to deal with snakes or rats.

It's much more pleasant to think of a frog falling into the vent on the roof. Definitely cheaper than a broken pipe somewhere in the yard.

Tomorrow my DH becomes a frog hunter. He's a city boy, so this ought to be fun to watch. I think hunting for frogs in the toilet is assigned to the husband-ly duties in the fine print of our marriage contract.

Then again, we need to do grocery shopping tomorrow. I think I'd prefer frog hunting to that...
    A quilt is like a good life. It's full of mistakes, but, in the end, it looks pretty good.

You have bigger issues than a frog in the toilet. Your husband can't handle this? Wow. Not sure that i even believe this. My husband "protects" me from the occassional house mouse that gets stuck on the sticky mats. Stomps them them dead after he picks up the trap and takes it outside to do the deed.

I could handle the frog if need be. Put on rubber kitchen gloves, grab the dang thing, put it in a container and put it outside. No, i would not stomp the frog...he gets his freedom. Mice? Not so much.
    sandy
    Last edited by Sandygirl; 01-12-2015 at 03:27 AM.
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

Blog Entries
    We had a neighbor who had a rat in the basement toilet. He got out his handy dandy shot gun and blew the toilet away. It was hilarious. Probably not for his wife, she slept down there! It's still funny. One of the block stories!!!!!!!! Every once in a while an occasion will come up when a block story (from on our block) is perfect for telling. First off I was born in this neighborhood, after we were married I lived in this neighborhood and I have lived here now in this home for 43 years come this April 12. I can forget what day it is, but I haven't forgotten one block story and this one is about my favorite. Poor Dick, he never thought of where the water was going to go after he shot the toilet. Carpeting and everything down there. Makes for even a better story. Edie
    Home is where the rags of your life are turned into quilts, lemons become lemonade and a few extra pounds are simply welcomed as "more of you to love."
    I am so confused. I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse."

BELIEVE

At least shooting the toilet guy did something. I know if my DH told me a month later about it and didn't do anything the first time he saw the frog I would be disgusted. It's being cruel to the frog too. City raised has nothing to do with it.
    Last edited by Onebyone; 01-12-2015 at 04:34 AM.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Awww, just catch the little guy and put him outside. A little fishtank net would be the easiest but you could probably use a small tupperware type container. Scoop him up with some water and transplant him outside.

I had just finished my nightly routine when a heard a gurgle in the toilet. My first thought was "big plumbing bill coming up" because that toilet is the end of the line in our house. Then I saw something moving in the toilet. A possum, about 6" long plus tail, was swimming in the toilet! DH used kitchen tongs to put the little guy in a trash can and release it outside, assisted by our very excited dog. I found the heaviest books I could find and put them on the closed toilet lid in case our swimmer had been playing chase with his siblings.

We released the little guy because possums eat lots of bugs and they are harmless. We figure he was chasing bugs down the vent and slid down, or he was after water. It did take a little while to go to sleep that night.

I used to feed my friend's cat when they left town. I learned to open the freezer and check some ice cubes. Melted ice cubes let you know if the refrigerator or freezer lost power for a period of time. Look under the sink and check for water..pipes do break. And lift the lids and check on the toilets. My friends came home to a dead squirrel in the toilet.

I have found dead mice in my toilet.
    Retired teacher, loving it.
    Love quilting also.

Blog Entries
    This story is too funny for those of us reading it. After you catch the frog, sterilize the toilet or I would anyway. I would then have DH or someone else to climb on the roof, and use some screen wire like for a screen on doors or windows or get some hail screen larger blocks in the wire, cover the open pipe and use some strapping metal strips with holes in it, to wrap around the excess screening and then get a clamp like they use on hoses for car radiators and screw it down tight to prevent future invasions. you could get these at your local Lowes or Home Depot or any hardware store. If a frog could get in other varmints could as well, perhaps even a snake, I have heard of that - snakes can climb trees, and would eat frogs. Your vent will still get the air it needs, but will prevent anything from getting down the pipe and prevent a huge plumbing bill in the future. My DH had to do this to our vent to prevent base balls from getting in it when neighbors wild grandchildren would toss bb and other things on our roof, being the "angels" they are not.
    Last edited by Gerbie; 01-12-2015 at 07:56 AM.

Rolling my eyes here. Catch the frog, put it outside, wash hand.
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Only thing that get free run in our house are geckos/chameleons. If they get in the bathtub, we just put a fabric strip they can climb onto and out of the tub. Neighbor had a snake in their bathroom (4 ft. boa). Their neighbor's pet. He called them at 300 am and told them to come get it or they would hear a 45 go off in 5 minutes. He gave them a warning for the last time. It was the 3rd time it happened. Each time was a different snake. Next time he's just going to shoot it. He has 2 small children. Tree frogs are nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
    Only thing that get free run in our house are geckos/chameleons. If they get in the bathtub, we just put a fabric strip they can climb onto and out of the tub. Neighbor had a snake in their bathroom (4 ft. boa). Their neighbor's pet. He called them at 300 am and told them to come get it or they would hear a 45 go off in 5 minutes. He gave them a warning for the last time. It was the 3rd time it happened. Each time was a different snake. Next time he's just going to shoot it. He has 2 small children. Tree frogs are nothing.
    O. m. g!!!!

Sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

Blog Entries
    OMG, this is what my nightmares are made of. I know it's along time off, but I think i'll have a nasty scary dream about toilet frogs tonight.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

LOL!!! I think I will start check the potty before I go after reading all these stories. Glad our potty is animal free!! I would have a heart attack!!!
    niftynickel

You all are scaring me. I've never found anything in my toilet and hope I never do!

Sandy, perhaps we have bigger issues, but this one is novel and kind of fun.

Mr Frog goes out today. DH and I will collaborate and the job will get done.

I was amazed that it was still alive and appears none the worse for wear. City boys don't 'get' it when dealing wth small country problems.

For the record, my husband never disgusts me. He is one of the nicest, sweetest, kindest men I know. Sometimes he makes mistakes - which leaving the frog for a month was, but so do I.

The research I did suggested that only chicken wire be used to cover a vent on the roof, as smaller screening would get clogged with leaves and other blowing debris. If it happens a second time,we'll probably do the chicken wire thing.

This is exactly what we did. DH flushed,I grabbed the little guy as he slid down the bowl. We had a butterfly net so we put him in it. Took him out doors and let him go. The days fun is over.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	toilet frog.bmp 
Views:	229 
Size:	552.8 KB 
ID:	505785

Power Poster
    I think frogs are kind of cute.

Not necessarily in my toilet, though. Catch it and release it outside. It may or may not survive out there, but at least it has a chance!

I would rather find a frog or a mouse than a snake....I would have to move!

He may have traveled there, perched on someone's pants leg. Unless you're no bigger than a fly, a frog generally won't hurt you. I used to catch and play with them, as a child.

in one of our previous houses, we had a problem with mice in our attic. One day, they just 'went away.' Some time later, DH found a quite large (shed) snake skin, up there. We never saw the snake but were thankful for his/her help.
    Last edited by Neesie; 01-12-2015 at 11:33 AM.
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

Quote Originally Posted by Sandygirl View Post
    You have bigger issues than a frog in the toilet. Your husband can't handle this? Wow. Not sure that i even believe this. My husband "protects" me from the occassional house mouse that gets stuck on the sticky mats. Stomps them them dead after he picks up the trap and takes it outside to do the deed.

I could handle the frog if need be. Put on rubber kitchen gloves, grab the dang thing, put it in a container and put it outside. No, i would not stomp the frog...he gets his freedom. Mice? Not so much.
    sandy

Oh, I have met many a couple where the bug/snake/critter slayer is the wife. You can separate the true woman from the jerkette; the jerkette always has to mockingly tell the world about her husband being afraid of bugs/snakes/critters and how she has to do the squishing. It all evens in marriages, with each being protective of the other's hearts and weaknesses. (But, really, is your husband protecting you? I mean, the froggie isn't going to hurt you? )
    Last edited by yobrosew; 01-12-2015 at 03:35 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast