Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What do you do when you CAN NOT fall asleep? >

What do you do when you CAN NOT fall asleep?

What do you do when you CAN NOT fall asleep?

Old 10-02-2011, 03:01 AM

So it is almost 7 am Atlanta time and I'm still awake, been awake since 2:30, been drinking diet coke and am getting tired, however, can't go to bed because mover's are due here in an hour.....whine whine whine

The worst for me is that I'll be ready to go to be by 8 pm and stay the cycle all over again....hopefully today i will do enough exercise with the move that I'll be totally exhausted by the time I do get to bed......

I really am jealous of those folks that can go to bed and sleep for hours and still want to sleep more.....I have a friend that can sleep 14 hours straight.......

Have a great day and hope everyone can rest tonight !
Old 10-02-2011, 03:10 AM

Reading usually makes me sleepy. I do relaxation breathing and say all my prayers again. Really had trouble sleeping when I went thru meno...got lots of projects done during that time. I don't like sleep meds and just figure the sleeplessness will pass. good luck.
Old 10-02-2011, 03:17 AM

When this happens to me at 2:30 am, I tried to think about how soft my pillow is and then I listen to my DH breathing. Sometimes that helps other times it doesn't.

They say you are suppose to get up and not lay in bed restless. But I would rather hope sleep will come and stay in bed. This does make for a long day.
Old 10-02-2011, 03:19 AM

I don't sleep well either. Like a lot of us here from
Pain! Mediation sometimes helps. Good luck! Don't drive long!
Old 10-02-2011, 03:46 AM

I haven't slept well since meno & that was a long time ago.A diff mattress has helped & have a prescription med. It's what the Dr said was the lightest
tranquilizer.I cut these in 1/2.It's not a dopy,morning feeling.I usually sleep 7-8 hrs. If I do wake at 4-5am, I just start my day & sleep a bit longer that eve.Good luck...know it can wear you out.
Old 10-02-2011, 03:53 AM

I can always fall asleep but it's waking during the night/early morning. I always make a cup of decaf tea and curl up in my chair with my computer and tea and read the QB for a while. After an hour or two I start to relax enough where I usually fall back asleep.
Old 10-02-2011, 04:39 AM
Power Poster

I have no wisdom for you but hope it gets resolved soon!
I don't have trouble sleeping but sometimes I have bad dreams. If I can figure them out (sometimes) I find they have to do with something I need to address in my awake time and that usually solves the problem.
There are lots of reasons for not sleeping/bad dreams etc, one of which is psychological.
HUGS
Old 10-02-2011, 04:43 AM

could it be the change of life or some other cause? I don't sleep well either, once it was due to high blood pressure, the other times, well, I just don't know. I usually get up, read or lay on the couch till I get sleepy. Perhaps if you try another sleep aid, melatonin perhaps. I hope it gets better. I've gone with as little as 2 hours sleep, its not fun. I hope it gets better.

Cathy S/Willowwind
Old 10-02-2011, 05:19 AM

Oh, I so feel you all!

I can't get to sleep until late (usually after 1 a.m)and I am awake again at 5 or 5:30a.m.
My eyes are always puffy and I feel drained. This has been going on for about 3 months.After a week or so, I am so tired that I fall asleep in the middle of the day and sleep until 8 or 9 p.m. Then the cycle starts again. Seems like I'm always tired. This morning, I told my DH that I am going to the doctor this week and get a full checkup.
Old 10-02-2011, 05:30 AM
Banned

First, you might want to have a check up w/your Dr. to make sure there isn't a medical reason for it.

I sometimes have the same problem, but is usually because I can't "turn my brain off" - from thinking about family or even the design of a new quilt I'd like to do. When I have that problem, if I can't fall asleep in a reasonable time, I get out of bed & sit in the recliner & turn on some stupid TV show to try to take my mind off other things.

But I usually chalk it up to my age - they say 'seniors' don't require or need as much sleep :shock: (OK, whatever)

Good luck in finding a solution.