Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What do you do when you CAN NOT fall asleep? >

What do you do when you CAN NOT fall asleep?

What do you do when you CAN NOT fall asleep?

Old 10-02-2011, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by willowwind
could it be the change of life or some other cause? Cathy S/Willowwind
Yep that is what I was thinking as well... I know my doc told me it was one of the bad things about peri or just plain ole menopause...... :thumbdown: :?
Old 10-02-2011, 06:16 AM

I just get up and do something. I've scrubbed my kitchen floor, cut quilt blocks, etc. Eventually I sleep. Even if it is short term I don't get upset. Your body will sleep when it needs to; the rest of the time be creative and positive (smile).
Old 10-02-2011, 07:03 AM
Power Poster

If I can't sleep I get in my recliner, lay back and turn on the tv and I am asleep in no time.
Old 10-02-2011, 07:27 AM

I get this newsletter. Maybe there is something there that can help you.
http://www.care2.com/greenliving/5-f...r-sleep-2.html
Old 10-02-2011, 07:35 AM

Im a club member of the can't sleep club as well. What I do when there is hope of sleep, is to say the alphabet backwards. Lol. Trust me, It'll work. I've gotten so good now though, that I can sing it backwards with no trouble so now I have to find something new to do.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by LLWinston44
Im a club member of the can't sleep club as well. What I do when there is hope of sleep, is to say the alphabet backwards. Lol. Trust me, It'll work. I've gotten so good now though, that I can sing it backwards with no trouble so now I have to find something new to do.
Oh, Kim, you gave me such a laugh.

That is exactly what I used to do in college when I couldn't sleep because my mind was racing, trying to remember all I needed to know for an exam. I can sing the alphabet just as fast backwards as forwards. I hadn't thought about that in a while. Perhaps I'll try it again to help me sleep.
Thanks for the laugh.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:32 AM

I was having trouble both falling and staying asleep. The falling part..well too much stress and worry!! I worked on letting go of some issues and a few of the stressors resolved themselves (no need to worry in the first place, silly girl :lol: ) I went back to praying the Rosary after I laid down, or when I woke in the night to get back to sleep. I also complained to the Dr. She sent me for a sleep study, which determined I stop breathing and wake myself up. Hmmm...because I don't snore, I'd never considered sleep apnea, etc. But now I use a c-pap machine..really, its all in your attitude, they're easy...and I do not wake up in the middle of the night since the night I started using it. I have a million things going on in my life, so I won't say I'm perky :lol: :lol: , but I feel much better. I think I'd try anything before I'd start the drug route. The only thing my doctor suggested I try was Melatonin to help me get to sleep. Not much help. A few small lifestyle changes did the trick. I do notice that caffeine has a huge effect on falling asleep, although I would never have thought that 10 years ago. Now there's no coffee after dinner, and I drink non-caffeine tea in the evening. I try to do the obvious chores (dishes, throw a load of wash in, fold up the couch blankets, trash the junk mail for the day, etc.) before I go to bed so I didn't focus on what didn't get done..you know that running list in you head when you're trying to get to sleep. Try short stories instead of novels, or better yet a crossword that will be simple to finish in a short time and clear your head. Try white noise, like a fan. If you have to watch TV, make it really boring so its just noise and not a train of thought (Golf works well :lol: :lol: )

Sorry for the long post. I guess I was just shocked that meds seem to be the only way people are trying to combat their problem. Truely..I am NOT judging anyone, I just wanted to throw in a couple suggestions you might not have thought of. I know its awful to not be able to sleep.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:38 AM
Power Poster

Now that it is cooling off I can begin to take a hot bath again...
Old 10-02-2011, 08:41 AM

Everybody has a feew nights here or there but it helps to train yourself to forget the day's "worries". Lay as quiet as you can and try to picture something as clear as you can such as a rose(Don't keep checking the clock). This might take a few nights but it worked for me. Also I found, when I worked 3rd, no caffine at least 5 hours before bed, and go to bed and get up at the same time everyday. I know going to bed at the same time can be difficult but I felt so much better than the gals who tried to switch to "normal" hours on the weekends then back to 3rd shift hours during the week. Another gal tried it my way and in the second week she said she felt so much better. She looked better too.

Hope these suggestions help you.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:46 AM

I've tried most everything on the board & some ppl never heard of
But after 10 yrs or more of waking at 1,2,3am every nt, no matter what....the med has been a sleep saver for me.

Mine started during meno & just went from bad to worse.Now, one DD is 42 & starting to have the same probs. I feel for anyone who can't sleep.Sure makes for a looong day.Don't know how those who work make it thru.

Sorry for the long post. I guess I was just shocked that meds seem to be the only way people are trying to combat their problem. Truely..I am NOT judging anyone, I just wanted to throw in a couple suggestions you might not have thought of. I know its awful to not be able to sleep.