Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you miss most about your childhood?

I was thinking about this, here at 3:30 am. Why, I'm not sure. I think I miss helping my father in the garden during the summer months, helping gramma shuck peas, and canning and of course, the days gramma says, it's time to make dresses for school.

Why did we have to grow up so fast?

Watching my grandma quilt.She made some beautiful quilts.Wish I could share my love of quilts with her. She would be pleased.

I think of these things all the time. Grandma tried for years to teach me to quilt. Now I want to learn and she is gone. I know she would be proud.

I miss going out to get pollywogs and making rafts to float on ponds. I miss skating on another pond nearby. I miss tryying to steal the neighbour's plums and eating raw veggies out of my Dad's garden. As you can tell, I spent a lot of time outside playing and I miss it a lot. Most kids today don't go and play like we did. It is not safe now :-(

I "don't miss" the lack of air-conditioning.

Blog Entries
    Over the past months I have thought about this subject so many times. I think the thing I really miss is running down thru the dirt road through my fathers fields. I wanted to go everywhere he went. I would hold on to his left hand forefinger. His hands were huge. He past away a month ago..and that is a memory that has flooded my thoughts.
    Peace and Blessings

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by donnajean
    I "don't miss" the lack of air-conditioning.
    We didn't have air conditioning when I was a "child" and I didn't know any better that it was missing. KWIM? By the time I played OUTSIDE ALL DAY LONG (in and out of a pool) from breakfast until the lights came on - I never knew it was hot out. Went to bed and fell fast asleep with the evening cool air.

Guess that's what I miss the most - FREE TIME to do ANYTHING I decided to do.

Two weeks of FREE TIME now would be wonderful.

Mom and Dad. They both passed in 2003.

Banned
    I miss the innocence of childhood ~ not having to worry about anything in life other than which friend I was going to play with. Funny how all you want as a kid is to grow up and be an adult....then once you get here....ugh.....

Banned
    Blog Entries
    So many things -

1) The lake and swimming all summer long, ice skating in the winter, water skiing, boat rides. No lifeguard, No restrictions of how far I could or couldn't swim out into the deep water...
    2) both my parents
    3) walking around the block (did it only once ---- it was 9 miles! :lol: :lol: )
    4) my grandparents - especially my Granny! and Christmases with them.
    5) the woods around my house and the rock I used to go sit on and just think, write and be alone.

Oh, so many fond memories. Thanks for the thread. :thumbup:

I miss the sense that anything was possible. I miss adventures and discoveries.

Blog Entries
    I miss

-having summers "off"

-the freedom of nobody knowing where you were or what you were up to every second of every day

- not being "online" or available 24/7

- going to the community pool every day with my girlfriends

- not being responsible for the support or welfare of anyone else, and just... "being"

- having what seemed like unlimitless energy

bj
    Sitting high up in a tree reading, swimming in the tank, but mostly I miss my mom.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    I miss the simplicity of life. I love all the technology, don't get me wrong but I remember every Sunday we were all home together as a family.
    I also miss being excited about everything!! But I got to experience that again when my boys were little :) So much fun watching and participating in that!!

Mom and Dad. They died when I was 15,16

I miss playing with my mother. I was an only child, and she spent many hours playing with me, making doll clothes, paper dolls, and other stuff. She was the youngest of 10, and never really grew up! She's been gone for 20 years and I still miss her every day.

Spending the week with cousins free to play all day outside.
    My parents enjoyed the ocean so we were at the beach many days. Plus the ocean was only 2 blocks away. Riding my bike, playing jacks, and hopscotch.
    Can I go back and be a kid again.

Blog Entries
    I think it goes without saying that the thing I miss the most is my parents. But I also miss the days of carefree freedom. Summers were wonderful, swimming all day and evening too, then coming home from the pool and playing with the neighbor kids until it was bedtime. I miss Dad cranking out homemade ice cream while I sat on the top of the freezer so it didn'T move around, and getting that first bowl when it was done. I had a great childhood being the yuoungest of six kids, I was spoiled rotten! And I miss the teenage years, hanging out with friends, and dancing my feet off all the time. I loved to dance!! And I miss the energy and physical abilities to do all those things.

I miss all the things you have mentioned...but the things I think I miss most is the trust and innocence of childhood. I was raised in the mountains of West Virginia. There was so much freedom to play and enjoy childhood. I miss being able to run and skip rope, climb trees, catch frogs. I remember walking in the creek and the frog eggs squishing between my toes.I miss the smell of the barn and our milk cow. I miss my Grandparents and Parents and the feeling that close family brings....so much more that is hard to put into words....

I miss being able to eat ANYTHING and not gain a pound.

you are so right. I grew up on a farm also, seemed like summer with family was really long, now we make life too complicated.

My husband and I are looking to relocate, don't need this big house any longer. We both come from large familes, but don't seem most of them only for funerals or weddings. Not like it used to be with families.

Both still in our early 50's still not sure what we want to do when we grow up, only to simplify our lives as much as possible.

Thanks everyone for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ditter43
    I miss all the things you have mentioned...but the things I think I miss most is the trust and innocence of childhood. I was raised in the mountains of West Virginia. There was so much freedom to play and enjoy childhood. I miss being able to run and skip rope, climb trees, catch frogs. I remember walking in the creek and the frog eggs squishing between my toes.I miss the smell of the barn and our milk cow. I miss my Grandparents and Parents and the feeling that close family brings....so much more that is hard to put into words....

I miss the freedom. I'm sorry my children did not grow up with the freedom to go out and not worry - about the drugs going down or the people in the park waiting for young ones to hurt. (Yes, I grew up in a small town, and they in a city.) It is a shame that our children/grandchildren can't do things unsupervised/unstructured. I think we learned a lot being responsible for ourselves. I remember being out the door by 6AM, and not coming home 'til Mom called for supper. What grand adventures we had!

Playing in the sand pile with my sister for hours on end, with ABSOLUTELY no responsibilities.

All my mother's (from scratch) dinners.

Watching episodes of Mister Ed, (for the first time)

Walking halfway down our street to wait for Dad to come home and getting a ride in the back of his work truck.

Dressing up for Halloween

(all of a sudden you make me wish I was 6 and not 56.)

I miss when I was over my grandmothers and she had a stool. Whatever she made my grandfather for dinner, I always made a little and had my own pan to put it in. My grandmother always made it, but, she gave me to put in my pan. When my grandfather would sit down to eat, he always said mine was better. I think that had something to do with my interest in cooking.
    I loved helping my mother cook and making x mas cookies
    Family get togethers.
    There are a whole bunch of different things I miss about childhood.
    Maybe most, the innocence of it. Being protected by mom and dad

I miss nothing about my childhood. I do miss my Mom, she passed in Jan 2001. I Love her so much

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast